The Education Forum

The inevitable end result of our last 56 years

6 hours ago, Steve Thomas said:

Feds charge ex-Trump official Steve Bannon with criminal fraud in crowd-funded border wall campaign

https://www.rawstory.com/2020/08/feds-charge-ex-trump-official-steve-bannon-with-criminal-fraud-in-crowd-funded-border-wall-campaign/

Kolfager had bigger things in mind with respect to the donor list.

From The Daily Beast:

"Kolfage’s pitch to the Republican consultant, who does digital fundraising for Republican candidates, suggests that Kolfage was seeking to rent the list to other vendors that work with political campaigns, rather than to the campaigns directly. That’s a common arrangement for digital fundraising vendors, but it makes it difficult to track down which, or how many, campaigns have rented the We Build The Wall list.

But at least one political candidate appears to have done so. The Daily Beast reported last year that Kris Kobac—the former Kansas Secretary of State, and We Build The Wall general counsel—sent a fundraising email to that list asking for donations to his ultimately failed 2020 Senate campaign. Legal experts told The Daily Beast at the time that that solicitation almost certainly violated federal campaign finance laws, either by failing to disclose that the campaign had paid for its use of the list, or by constituting an illegal in-kind contribution from the nonprofit to the campaign. The ethics watchdog group Common Cause subsequently filed legal complaints against both Kobach’s campaign and We Build The Wall over the fundraising appeal."

Steve Thomas

• Replies 18.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Benjamin Cole

• Douglas Caddy

• W. Niederhut

• Steve Thomas

California severely short on firefighting crews after COVID-19 lockdown at prison camps

By Ryan Sabalow and Jason Pohl

July 04, 2020 05:00 AM , Updated July 06, 2020 02:34 PM

https://www.sacbee.com/news/california/fires/article243977827.html

“This week, state prison officials announced they had placed 12 of the state’s 43 inmate fire camps on lockdown due to a massive outbreak at a Northern California prison in Lassen County that serves as the training center for fire crews.

Until the lockdown lifts, only 30 of the state’s 77 inmate crews are available to fight a wildfire in the north state, prison officials said.”

Steve Thomas

3 hours ago, Douglas Caddy said:

No criminal trial moves that fast. Think of a year or two at a minimum. In addition there is information that Bannon was arrested on a yacht anchored off the coast of Connecticut. There are rumors that the yacht is owned by a prominent Chinese national of dubious background. Since Trump cannon help Bannon before the election or afterwards if Biden defeats him, Bannon may tell what he knows about Trump, Trump's inner circle and the Chinese national in an effort to to bargain down the charges against him and the terms of sentence.

A pardon doesn't require a trial or conviction first. See Ford's pardon of Nixon.

Yes,from what I've heard they advertised that 100% of the donations will go directly to the wall, and they used a disabled person as a poster boy, whose collected big in the scam. They got a smoking gun. Banon was aware last November, probably through his bank that the feds were looking into his records. Then they have evidence that when Banon   became aware, they tried to coverup, so the Banon group knows what they're doing was against the law. He has until some time in September to post 2 million in bail.

Edited by Kirk Gallaway

3 hours ago, Steve Thomas said:

California severely short on firefighting crews after COVID-19 lockdown at prison camps

By Ryan Sabalow and Jason Pohl

July 04, 2020 05:00 AM , Updated July 06, 2020 02:34 PM

https://www.sacbee.com/news/california/fires/article243977827.html

“This week, state prison officials announced they had placed 12 of the state’s 43 inmate fire camps on lockdown due to a massive outbreak at a Northern California prison in Lassen County that serves as the training center for fire crews.

Until the lockdown lifts, only 30 of the state’s 77 inmate crews are available to fight a wildfire in the north state, prison officials said.”

Steve Thomas

Well, this is interesting, Steve.

We currently have three major forest fires raging here in Colorado as well, with minimal containment.

One of them-- the Pine Gulch Fire near Grand Junction, Colorado-- is now the second biggest forest fire in Colorado history, and a second fire (Cameron Peak) is now approaching the northern perimeter of Rocky Mountain National Park, with ZERO containment.

We had ashes raining on our deck here in Denver earlier this week, and hazardous air conditions all week in the city.

I can't find anything in the local news about COVID and Colorado fire crews, but I know that COVID has hit some of the state correctional facilities hard.

1 hour ago, Kirk Gallaway said:

Yes,from what I've heard they advertised that 100% of the donations will go directly to the wall, and they used a disabled person as a poster boy, whose collected big in the scam.

Was it a person disabled by illegal immigrants?  'Cause that'd be real Horst Wessel.

If Trump pardoned Bannon, New York State would indict him. It would be a fruitless action.

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2020/8/20/1970882/-Even-IF-Bannon-is-pardoned-by-Trump-New-York-State-can-still-charge-him

Edited by Douglas Caddy

22.8 million people watched night 3 of the National Democratic Convention. I was one of them. I thought it was one of the finest events ever shown on television. All the participants, famous and non-famous, were terrific. VP nominee Harris is an extremely talented and capable public servant. She would make a great president. 

6 hours ago, W. Niederhut said:

Well, this is interesting, Steve.

We currently have three major forest fires raging here in Colorado as well, with minimal containment.

One of them-- the Pine Gulch Fire near Grand Junction, Colorado-- is now the second biggest forest fire in Colorado history, and a second fire (Cameron Peak) is now approaching the northern perimeter of Rocky Mountain National Park, with ZERO containment.

We had ashes raining on our deck here in Denver earlier this week, and hazardous air conditions all week in the city.

I can't find anything in the local news about COVID and Colorado fire crews, but I know that COVID has hit some of the state correctional facilities hard.

We took in my niece and her family ( 3 kids-two dogs ) this week as they were ordered out of their home due to the River Fire near Salinas, CA.

We also have a Carmel Valley fire and a Big Sur fire as well. Also a big one going on in the Santa Cruz mountains across our Monterey Bay.

We are covered in ash last three days. Air is so thick and heavy with smoke and ash. Hurts the eyes and lungs. Sky is orange and yellow and hazy grey.

With all that's going on...it seems almost apocalyptic. If we get hit with a major Earthquake about now... I just don't know.

This forum is a mental relief from all the fire, pandemic and Trump anxiety going on.

Edited by Joe Bauer

27 minutes ago, Joe Bauer said:

We are covered in ash last three days. Air is so thick and heavy with smoke and ash. Hurts the eyes and lungs. Sky is orange and yellow and hazy grey.

With all that's going on...it seems almost apocalyptic.

I was living in Denver when the huge forest fire south of the city struck.  I got up the morning it hit not knowing what it was and thought that the orange hazy sky was an indication that the world was ending.  Strangely I didn't feel fear, just curiosity.

Hope it rains.

12 minutes ago, Bill Fite said:

I was living in Denver when the huge forest fire south of the city struck.  I got up the morning it hit not knowing what it was and thought that the orange hazy sky was an indication that the world was ending.  Strangely I didn't feel fear, just curiosity.

Hope it rains.

Same here Bill.

4 hours ago, Bill Fite said:

Hope it rains.

Bill,

I was living just outside of Glenwood Springs when the Storm King Mountain fire hit.

Pretty scary stuff.

Steve Thomas

The grandson of late American president John F Kennedy has left voters reeling with his lookalike good looks.

Jack Schlossberg, who is JFK's only grandson, found himself in a social media frenzy after he and his mother, Caroline Kennedy, backed Joe Biden for the American presidency on Tuesday.

After laying eyes on Jack at the 2020 Democratic National Convention, fans immediately became bewitched by the 27-year-old's incredibly attractive demeanour.

Taking to Twitter to gush over the tall, dark and handsome politician, spectators were quick to point out the striking likeness between Jack and his late uncle, John F Kennedy Jr, as well as his grandfather JFK.

0_Democrats-Hold-Unprecedented-Virtual-C
The grandson of late American president John F Kennedy has 'broken the internet' with his good looks (Image: DNCC via Getty Images)

Since there was a previous post decrying the architectural modernization of post offices in the age of drywall, I thought you all might enjoy this article on old, patriotic post office murals created in the Roosevelt years, many of them bordering on folk art.  As usual, the English press covers our culture better than ours does:

https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2020/aug/21/picture-essay-america-1930s-post-office-murals

And here is an article on the Trump-DeJoy modernization of post offices - "Rotting Food, Dead Animals" in mail pile-up:

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2020-08-20/usps-cutbacks-post-office-chaos

Running America like a business...

Edited by David Andrews