The Education Forum

The inevitable end result of our last 56 years

14 hours ago, W. Niederhut said:

Here's my true story about guns and ammo this summer.  (Apologies for the tangent.)

My brother-in-law and nephew told me in June that they saw three gray wolves in a canyon near our old family cabin-- a place where I like to hike and fish.

Wolves have been extinct in Colorado since the 1930s, but they were re-introduced here in recent years, and the Denver Post mentioned in June that people had seen wolves at Aspen's Maroon Bells-- about 40 miles from our cabin.

So, I was a bit nervous about hiking and fishing in the woods up there this month.  Never had to worry about a wolf pack before.  What do you do-- climb a tree?

I decided to buy some bullets for an old Browning pistol I reluctantly inherited, which my dad had, apparently, brought back to the U.S. from Europe after WWII.  (I don't know if he had lifted it off of a dead Nazi, or confiscated it from a live one.  Didn't even know he owned it until after he died.)

I have never bought ammo in my life, or fired a gun.  I researched the Browning, (made in Belgium) and found a Sportsman's Warehouse store that, allegedly sold the correct ammo-- ".32 CAP" (7.65 mm.)

Drove to the store.  Their ammo shelf was completely empty!  No ammo.  Not sure if it is being hoarded by guys with red hats, or what.

So, I borrowed my brother-in-law's .38 special.  Never took it out of the car.  Fortunately, I did not encounter any wolves in the woods.

The End

We have mountain lions that come down out of the Los Padres National Forest and roam our residential streets because we have so many deer here. Ripped apart deer carcasses are discovered here two or three times a year.

I've never hunted. Never owned a gun. 

Edited by Joe Bauer

• Replies 18.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Benjamin Cole

• Douglas Caddy

• W. Niederhut

• Steve Thomas

6 hours ago, Ron Bulman said:

As the saying goes "the old man said buy land son.  They ain't makin no more of it."

Reminds me of Woody Allen's "Love and Death," when this old man tells his son, "I've got this little piece of land." And he takes a piece of sod out of his pocket.

Best scene in the movie.

Have you wondered why Donald Trump has been dumping on Jim Clyburn lately?

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2020/07/31/897429054/covid-19-hospital-data-system-that-bypasses-cdc-plagued-by-delays-inaccuracies?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=npr&utm_term=nprnews

“Earlier this month, when the Trump administration told hospitals to send crucial data about coronavirus cases and intensive care capacity to a new online system, it promised the change would be worth it. The data would be more complete, transparent, and an improvement over the old platform run by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, administration officials said.”

https://coronavirus.house.gov/news/press-releases/clyburn-maloney-krishnamoorthi-demand-information-decision-divert-coronavirus

“Washington, D.C. (July 18, 2020) — Yesterday, Rep. James E. Clyburn, Chairman of the Select Subcommittee on the Coronavirus Crisis; Rep. Carolyn B. Maloney, Chairwoman of the Committee on Oversight and Reform; and Rep. Raja Krishnamoorthi, Chairman of the Subcommittee on Economic and Consumer Policy, sent a letter to the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) Secretary Alex Azar and Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) Director Robert Redfield calling on the Trump Administration to reverse the decision to divert coronavirus data away from the CDC and instead report it to a private contractor. In the letter, Clyburn, Maloney and Krishnamoorthi also seek information on why TeleTracking was awarded a sole-source contract and how data reported through this new platform will differ from that previously reported through CDC.”

“In the letter, Clyburn, Maloney and Krishnamoorthi also seek information on why TeleTracking was awarded a sole-source contract and how data reported through this new platform will differ from that previously reported through CDC.”

https://www.rawstory.com/2020/08/most-of-trumps-authoritarianism-and-corruption-goes-unnoticed-by-the-public/

“TeleTracking CEO Michael Zamagias had links to NY real estate world—a firm that financed billions $ in projects with—Trump Organization. https://t.co/QW73OKuuTw

Steve Thomas

Lucian Truscott IV

https://www.salon.com/2020/07/25/mail-order-macho-the-cheap-halloween-costuming-of-donald-trumps-toy-fascism/

Trump couldn't order in the 82nd Airborne Division. He tried that in Washington and failed. So he ordered William Barr, his attorney general, and Chad Wolf, the acting secretary of homeland security, to cobble together a homemade militia using officers from Immigration and Customs Enforcement, the Transportation Security Administration and Customs and Border Protection.  These are civilian enforcement agents trained to patrol the borders with Mexico and Canada, check travelers at airports for contraband in their carry-ons, and inspect shipments of imported goods coming across our borders from foreign countries.

How do you create an intimidating army out of a bunch of civil servants whose previous experience in law enforcement has been locking up little kids and their moms along the border and frisking traveling salespersons at airports for bottles containing more than three ounces of shampoo?

The unmarked, unnamed Trumpian shock troops look like they've been assembled from an off-the-shelf parts bin. It's lame-o "law and order," done on the cheap. And that's the problem with insta-militias like the one deployed in Portland and those planned for deployment to Chicago, Albuquerque, and other metropolitan areas around the country with mayors who happen to be Democrats. How intimidating can a pretend army be if it's wearing patches that say, "Transportation Security Administration"? What are protesters going to do? Throw up their arms and cry out, "I give up! I forgot and packed my nail clippers!"

Sometimes confronting force with humor is the best tactic. Moms in yellow T-shirts and dads with leaf-blowers are the perfect way to show up Trump as a pitiful helpless giant. His moves to bring fascism to the streets of America are working about as well as his attempts to wish away the virus that is ravaging the country in a silent riot of disease and death.

-more-

Steve Thomas

Edited by Steve Thomas

Steve - I suspect Trump is hoping that armed civilian supporters take up the gauntlet. If they were to do so, who would stop them? So far none have opened fire on protestors. 

5 hours ago, Steve Thomas said:

Lucian Truscott IV

How do you create an intimidating army out of a bunch of civil servants whose previous experience in law enforcement has been locking up little kids and their moms along the border and frisking traveling salespersons at airports for bottles containing more than three ounces of shampoo?

The Border Patrol can be a fierce bunch of bastards, especially with friendly federal authority behind them.  I've seen a BP raid for illegals in New York State, and I believe what I read about them on the southern border.

Trump is pulling 12,000 US troops out of Germany, but only leaving about half in Europe.  Where's the other half to be deployed?

Edited by David Andrews

2 hours ago, Paul Brancato said:

Steve - I suspect Trump is hoping that armed civilian supporters take up the gauntlet. If they were to do so, who would stop them? So far none have opened fire on protestors. 

A protester was recently shot by an armed right wing vigilante in Albuquerque, New Mexico, as I recall.

But the most popular weapon Trump's "patriots" have been using against the protesters is the automobile.

In the past two months, there have been more than 60 documented incidents of these "patriots" defending the homeland by crashing their cars into George Floyd protesters.

One such incident occurred right in front of the Colorado Capitol building here in Denver in May.

1 hour ago, David Andrews said:

Trump is pulling 12,000 US troops out of Germany, but only leaving about half in Europe.  Where's the other half to be deployed?

David,

That was my question too.

In his article, Truscott wrote, Following Lafayette Park, “his real army has refused to take the battlefield.”

“... Milley and other military commanders reacted forcefully and negatively to Trump's use of active-duty soldiers against peaceful protesters. By the end of the week, all regular Army soldiers had been sent home from their temporary assignments to Washington, and military leaders had drawn a line in the sand that they would not cross. Without threatening to disobey orders from the commander in chief, military leaders made it clear that they would not facilitate Trump's militarization of his response to protesters around the country.”

God, I hope so.

Steve Thomas

10 hours ago, Steve Thomas said:

David,

That was my question too.

In his article, Truscott wrote, Following Lafayette Park, “his real army has refused to take the battlefield.”

“... Milley and other military commanders reacted forcefully and negatively to Trump's use of active-duty soldiers against peaceful protesters. By the end of the week, all regular Army soldiers had been sent home from their temporary assignments to Washington, and military leaders had drawn a line in the sand that they would not cross. Without threatening to disobey orders from the commander in chief, military leaders made it clear that they would not facilitate Trump's militarization of his response to protesters around the country.”

God, I hope so.

Steve Thomas

Help me, my memory is inexact on this.  Didn't we see this scenario of moving troops from Europe to police the US proposed during the Cold War by some creep like Walker, Willoughby or Lemnitzer?  Did it happen under Bush after 9/11?  I hate to admit I'm a dope here, but the situation rings a bell for me.  I can't remember what church the bell was in.

Edited by David Andrews

1 hour ago, David Andrews said:

Help me, my memory is inexact on this.  Didn't we see this scenario of moving troops from Europe to police the US proposed during the Cold War by some XXXXX like Walker, Willoughby or Lemnitzer?  Did it happen under Bush after 9/11?  I hate to admit I'm a dope here, but the situation rings a bell for me.  I can't remember what church the bell was in.

David,

I don't know about recent history, but in 1914 Woodrow Wilson ordered federal troops into Ludlow, Colorado to restore order following the Ludlow Massacre by the Colorado National Guard.

In mid-1932, President Herbert Hoover then ordered the U.S. Army to clear the Bonus Army marchers' campsite. Army Chief of Staff General Douglas MacArthur commanded a contingent of infantry and cavalry, supported by six tanks. The Bonus Army marchers with their wives and children were driven out, and their shelters and belongings burned.

Steve Thomas

42 minutes ago, Steve Thomas said:

David,

I don't know about recent history, but in 1914 Woodrow Wilson ordered federal troops into Ludlow, Colorado to restore order following the Ludlow Massacre by the Colorado National Guard.

In mid-1932, President Herbert Hoover then ordered the U.S. Army to clear the Bonus Army marchers' campsite. Army Chief of Staff General Douglas MacArthur commanded a contingent of infantry and cavalry, supported by six tanks. The Bonus Army marchers with their wives and children were driven out, and their shelters and belongings burned.

Steve Thomas

Dear God...what a crime.

6 minutes ago, Joe Bauer said:

Dear God...what a crime.

The Ludlow Massacre was precipitated against striking miners by Rockefeller business interests.  You can find photos of John D. Rockefeller, Jr., posing at the site.

I wonder if someone could go back into the archives and find that the Bonus Army camp was funded by pro-FDR rich liberals...

Edited by David Andrews