• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Benjamin Cole

• Douglas Caddy

• W. Niederhut

• Steve Thomas

10 minutes ago, Douglas Caddy said:

When does he think people in this country will be able to "safely" vote in person?

Oh, I forgot, when the virus just disappears.

1 hour ago, Ron Ecker said:

When does he think people in this country will be able to "safely" vote in person?

Oh, I forgot, when the virus just disappears.

Ron,

In North Carolina, they opened up the process for people to request mail-in ballots.

Requests from Republican voters rose by 20%. Requests from Democratic voters rose by 600%.

Donald Trump is headed for the worst defeat in American history, and he knows it.

He will do everything in his power to cancel the election, or somehow declare it invalid.

Steve Thomas

Mail in ballots vs in person voting is such a false argument. How about in home online voting? We have all kinds of protections, multi layered security, just to view our bank account or even utility bill. The idea that we can’t make elections secure online is absurd. Of course, maybe I’m missing something. But it feels like a deliberate obfuscation. 

Donald Trump’s Weak, Self-Defeating Call for Delaying the Election

By Dan McLaughlin National Review

July 30, 2020 10:31 AM

https://www.nationalreview.com/corner/donald-trumps-weak-self-defeating-call-for-delaying-the-election/

“If I were, say, a Republican senator running for re-election right now, I’d be furious. One lesson of past campaigns is that the head of the ticket is supposed to play all the way to the whistle to keep the bottom from dropping out of down-ticket turnout. Bob Dole, for all his flaws as a national candidate, understood that and ran himself into the ground the closing weeks of 1996, doing nothing to save his own failing ticket but salvaging Republican control of Congress. If Trump is already focused in July on making excuses for losing, that is a very bad omen for Republicans in November.”

Steve Thomas

3 hours ago, David Andrews said:

Ron and Joe, I'm sorry to hear about your troubles.  I hope Congress will give some rescue to all of us facing uncertainty until recovery can be realized.

Thank you David.

In our situation the loss of our main family income is more impacting because of our ages. I will be 69 and my wife 66 in two months.

And we both have typical health issues. Mine are heart and immune system related. One day I am okay enough to do light house and yard care duties but then the next day I feel like visiting the Emergency Room. Heart goes crazy with spontaneous palpitation or even straight afib episodes which make you feel like you could just drop. Very scary.

Just mentioning why in my case, I can't just go out and start a new job like delivering pizzas or custodial duty ( I am not above any work ) and there aren't any jobs available anyway because the 30 to 40,000 laid off hospitality workers here are fighting for every little job no matter if minimum wage.

My wife's occupation is professional, but every company in this field ( nation wide ) is laying off.

Savings equal a 3 month cushion. Never could afford to buy a home here, so no equity. Been renters our entire lives.

SS for me is $740 a month. 

We do live in a house. Everyone pitches in for rent. Wife paid 65% of this.

Without unemployment her income with just SS will be half her normal take home, plus loss of several benefits.

Some here may feel I am providing too much personal info.

But, to understand the true impact of this unprecedented tidal wave of layoffs ( which tens of millions of Americans are experiencing ) you need to know the true and specific financial facts of those effected imo.

And to understand the differences between the federal political party's relief policies and how and why one may be truly helpful and another devastatingly inadequate.

Still, through it all, my passion for keeping the JFK ( and MLK and RFK) truth mission alive and energized will always be in my thoughts and my participation in JFK forums like this one ( honestly there is no other on this level ) actually provides me solace and meaning in this truly more stressful world we are now living in.

To quote a deep spiritual hope and faith message often cited in the canons of the California Surfer church:

Hey, no worries Bro...there's always a new set of toasties comin' in  ... Dude ... chill...shaka.

Edited by Joe Bauer

1 hour ago, Paul Brancato said:

Mail in ballots vs in person voting is such a false argument. How about in home online voting? We have all kinds of protections, multi layered security, just to view our bank account or even utility bill. The idea that we can’t make elections secure online is absurd. Of course, maybe I’m missing something. But it feels like a deliberate obfuscation. 

What people seem to be "missing" is that the postal service may not exist in November for voting by mail. I don't see any concern among the politicians, but the last I saw the postal service will run out of money in September or October, and of course Trump is against bailing it out so forget about passing a bill. Or what am I missing?

15 minutes ago, Ron Ecker said:

What people seem to be "missing" is that the postal service may not exist in November for voting by mail. I don't see any concern among the politicians, but the last I saw the postal service will run out of money in September or October, and of course Trump is against bailing it out so forget about passing a bill. Or what am I missing?

Well, there's the minimally worded "Postal Clause" in the Constitution (Article I, Section 8, Clause 7).  It doesn't provide for a system in the modern (i.e., post-Civil War) sense, but Trump screwing with the USPS could be looked on as a usurping of Congressional duties and prerogatives.  It depends on how Constructivist the grounds of the legal arguments would read.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postal_Clause

If the APWU hadn't so much depended on tradition, it would have lobbied for a Constitutional amendment decades ago.  Like, around the time that e-mail and digital bill-paying broke.

Edited by David Andrews

46 minutes ago, Joe Bauer said:

Thank you David.

In our situation the loss of our main family income is more impacting because of our ages. I will be 69 and my wife 66 in two months.

And we both have typical health issues. Mine are heart and immune system related. One day I am okay enough to do light house and yard care duties but then the next day I feel like visiting the Emergency Room. Heart goes crazy with spontaneous palpitation or even straight afib episodes which make you feel like you could just drop. Very scary.

Just mentioning why in my case, I can't just go out and start a new job like delivering pizzas or custodial duty ( I am not above any work ) and there aren't any jobs available anyway because the 30 to 40,000 laid off hospitality workers here are fighting for every little job no matter if minimum wage.

My wife's occupation is professional, but every company in this field ( nation wide ) is laying off.

Savings equal a 3 month cushion. Never could afford to buy a home here, so no equity. Been renters our entire lives.

SS for me is $740 a month. 

We do live in a house. Everyone pitches in for rent. Wife paid 65% of this.

Without unemployment her income with just SS will be half her normal take home, plus loss of several benefits.

Some here may feel I am providing too much personal info.

But, to understand the true impact of this unprecedented tidal wave of layoffs ( which tens of millions of Americans are experiencing ) you need to know the true and specific financial facts of those effected imo.

And to understand the differences between the federal political party's relief policies and how and why one may be truly helpful and another devastatingly inadequate.

Still, through it all, my passion for keeping the JFK ( and MLK and RFK) truth mission alive and energized will always be in my thoughts and my participation in JFK forums like this one ( honestly there is no other on this level ) actually provides me solace and meaning in this truly more stressful world we are now living in.

To quote a deep spiritual hope and faith message often cited in the canons of the California Surfer church:

Hey, no worries Bro...there's always a new set of toasties comin' in to ride ... Dude ... chill...shaka.

Joe,

I truly feel for you and your family and appreciate the transparency. It gives us a glimpse of the actual conditions in the real world right now. We don't see many of these true stories on the news. In regards to unemployment, they need to find a way to help the folks that have truly lost work and are hurting now and not help the freeloaders. Obviously your family is honest and I hope they figure a way to help you guys through this. But with the blanket extra $600 it is so abused and it deters people from returning to work. Can't they figure out some kind of 100% wage replacement program for those put out of work due to this? 

Also, do you mind sharing which line of work you wife is in? I just like to keep a running tab in my head of sectors that have been greatly affected by this.

So, could Trump sabotage the U.S.P.S. enough to seriously, negatively effect the mail-in vote nationwide?

It's a given that he would like to and would do if he could get away with it.

But if he even tries, what in the heck are we supposed to do in response?

It's hard to believe we American citizens are even hearing this kind of crazy, over-the-top authoritarian talk from a sitting U.S. President.

And it seems even crazier because it's almost a weekly, even daily occurrence!

Talk of Trump as nuts and out-of-control emotionally and psychologically is definitely a truly rational proposition now. Seriously it is. 

Just hope Trump's heretofore blindly loyal Republican Senate and Congressional enablers "finally" see this reality and move to check and reign in their loony leader's desperate power plays in the months before and after the election.

With his actions this morning, Donald Trump has announced to the world that he is going to lose this election.

Winners don't seek to cancel, or delay an election. Only losers do.

He has also announced to his acolytes that they are on their own. Who is going to hitch their star to someone who publicly announces he is is going to lose?

What do you do when the ship deserts the sinking rats?

Steve Thomas

55 minutes ago, Douglas Caddy said:

So strange! You mean the DCC decided the bat sh!t crazy Rao, deciding in favor of the DoJ, who were not a party to the writ, overstepped? Big shocker!