• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Benjamin Cole

• Douglas Caddy

• W. Niederhut

• Steve Thomas

11 minutes ago, Ty Carpenter said:

Not sure about anyone else here, but when was the last time you actually received an Amazon package from the USPS? I would say 6 months ago and most of them now come from the Amazon delivery service or UPS. 

In addition to having my groceries delivered through Instacart from Publix, I've recently placed several canned food orders from Amazon. All those Amazon orders were delivered by USPS.

17 minutes ago, Ty Carpenter said:

Not sure about anyone else here, but when was the last time you actually received an Amazon package from the USPS? I would say 6 months ago and most of them now come from the Amazon delivery service or UPS. 

I got a book about two months ago.  I was surprised it came USPS, but it was through a third-party book dealer.

For the last few years, I've seen plenty of USPS  delivery on Sundays. I was told that it is exclusively for Amazon. Trump is right to rail on that. Though I believe I didn't see trucks on Sunday say in 2015. Since Wheeler's case is almost exclusively about Amazon, I think all of us probably agree, I'd sock it to them retroactively for the fleecing of us they've done, and Biden seems determined to go after them, and he'll probably get Republican support.

I have noticed a slowdown of mail lately. As far 5.2 billion to modernize. That's peanuts in a multi trillion dollar bailout. People have long taken for granted the Post Office. I can tell you they are more efficient than any mail system by far in any country South of the U.S.in this hemisphere, where letters routinely get lost, and take months to get to  in- country locations, much less international mail. And somehow people have profound problems with  international mail with private carriers!

As for the privatization promises of say, less bulk mail, well, I've heard those promises before, and the vast majority of times, it never happens or it's not worth the price.They could outlaw junk mail,, but we've seen how little progress has been made over the years  in outlawing junk phone calls. As for Amazon they will just pass the cost on to us, and that's the way it works.

Edited by Kirk Gallaway

Bottom line, they need to charge more. I am willing to pay one dollar to send a letter if that ensures timely delivery. We have had terrible luck with the post office recently at our business. Things not showing up, getting mail a week later, getting dropped off a huge pile of it once a week. When we call the local office we just get their standard message and can't get through to anyone.

7 hours ago, Joe Bauer said:

Susan Collins.     

On the real important issues, she's no moderate.

Reminds me of Clarence Thomas.

Even on our month to month budget we have resolved to send $25 to the campaign of Collin's opponent this year.

Maybe, but...

I'll be forever grateful that Susan Collins (along with John McCain and Lisa Murkowski) saved Obamacare in 2017 by voting against the Republicans' final attempt to repeal it.

Prior to that she voted to repeal or damage Obamacare a number of times. I think that what she does is vote against her party line only when absolutely necessary to get what she really wants. And votes with them in all other cases. That way she can be a moderate and still get the Republican vote.

5 hours ago, Douglas Caddy said:

"Mr. Thomas says, the association is planning to send instigators into the camp on Saturday night to start a riot. The police will then have the right to enter the camp, arrest the labor organizers, and evict the migrants." Chapter 22 -John Steinbeck, The Grapes of Wrath

https://www.nbc12.com/2020/07/25/protests-continue-richmond-unlawful-assembly-declared-dump-truck-set-fire/

RICHMOND, Va. (WWBT) - Richmond Mayor Levar Stoney and Police Chief Gerald Smith addressed overnight riots in Richmond during a press conference on Sunday.

Both city officials thanked peaceful protesters and the Black Lives Matter movement and detested violence and arson fires started by some in the crowd.

Stoney said there were reports of white supremacists in the crowds who incited the violence.

“There were white supremacists marching under the banner of Black Lives Matter, an attempt to undermine an otherwise overwhelmingly peaceful movement toward social justice,” Stoney said. “We’ve spoken on many occasions about those who’ve chosen a more violent route to express their discontent and what that does for the overall movement toward social justice.”

Steve Thomas

Boston Globe article on bi-partisan group studying what would happen if Trump refused to concede the election. (The article is missing its headline for some reason).

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/07/25/nation/bipartisan-group-secretly-gathered-game-out-contested-trump-biden-election-it-wasnt-pretty/?fbclid=IwAR3_txS6nEpJwO5-rxpaQh_vxLKRjzC3rckaUJb2SLLa06TNG65rto4MyCE

This is what I can find out about the whole USPS Amazon deal.

The 2013 contract expired in 2018.  At a postal employees forum, the word was that that contract was not formally renewed. From what I can find, since then, two things have happened.

First, Amazon has taken over more and more of its own delivery routes--about 50 % of them--especially in urban and densely populated suburban areas.  When they do not, they  deliver to the proper post office, for these are on less traveled rural routes. This is called paying for the last mile.  Since first class mail has declined, packages make up the fastest growing item the USPS deals with. It allowed many USPS employees to make extra money working overtime.

Second, the arrangement is reviewed by the governing board of the USPS each year.  This is usually what happens in these cases when the original deal is not renewed but neither party wants out yet.

Third, it is not that factor that is the real problem with the USPS.  Its the ridiculous Koch sponsored health benefits law.  If that was not in force, the USPS would be running at a healthy profit again.