The Education Forum

Kamala Harris and the RFK assassination

18 minutes ago, Cliff Varnell said:

I have an old friend who was a Trump supporter.  Big gun guy.  Last night he called me up all pissed off — “I’m not voting for Trump again!  My social security is too important to me!”

Trump is bleeding older folks.

Do many of them know this?

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, Douglas Caddy said:

.Harris voted to give Trump increased military spending two different times, supports Trump escalating war in Syria, and co-sponsored the bill that let Trump impose sanctions on Iran which violated the nuclear deal and lead to currently rising tensions.

Tulsi Gabbard voted for the same bill.

http://clerk.house.gov/evs/2017/roll413.xml

6 hours ago, Cliff Varnell said:

DiEugenio has never given President Obama credit for anything — not the Iran nuke deal, the opening to Cuba,  the negotiated removal of Syrian chemical weapons, the Paris climate accords, the expansion of Medicaid, the steep reduction of the federal budget deficit, net neutrality, support for same-sex marriage.........

.....saving America (and the world) from a second Great Depression (yes, economists were worried about that), saving the American auto industry, providing affordable healthcare to tens of millions of Americans, and pulling us out of the Bush recession, all without any help from the Republicans.

I watched the news on TV and online a lot yesterday.

What I saw was a lot of happy and smiling people.

I was taken aback.

It's been six months or so since I saw people actually smiling and and happy.

This has a force behind it that isn't measurable by any standard polling.

Steve Thomas

2 hours ago, Cliff Varnell said:

Tulsi Gabbard voted for the same bill.

http://clerk.house.gov/evs/2017/roll413.xml

I didn't say this. I was probably quoting Will Ruha. I was never a fan of Tulsi, who will not be in the next Congress. I support the Biden-Harris ticket.

EfLQpWfUYAEDh5x?format=jpg&name=small

1 minute ago, Douglas Caddy said:

I didn't say this. I was probably quoting Will Ruha. I was never a fan of Tulsi, who will not be in the next Congress. I support the Biden-Harris ticket.

EfLQpWfUYAEDh5x?format=jpg&name=small

Yes, you were quoting Will Ruha. I should have made that clear.

From the  Washington Post:

Rep. Ilhan Omar on Tuesday soundly defeated a well-funded primary challenger, the latest in a series of victories for liberals looking to secure their foothold in Congress and move the Democratic Party further left.

The Minnesota Democrat was leading Anton Melton-Meaux 57 percent to 39 percent with 96 percent of precincts reported when the race was called, putting to bed weeks of speculation that her career on Capitol Hill could be cut short by an opponent who argued Omar was more interested in fame than representing her district.

Sandy:

Obama had the opportunity of a lifetime to really do something  big about the American economy.  If you recall, as I do, some people-- like Michael Moore--were talking about a second New Deal.  There was never a time like that that I can recall in my lifetime.  The GOP was discredited, homes were being lost, investment banks were going under, commercial banks were going BK.  Some of the largest BK's in history took place at that time.  There was never a better time to do a restructure. Even better than today.  Did Obama call in Stieglitz?  Nope.

What does Obama do instead?  He has a meeting with a bunch of conservative writers, e.g. Kristol, to try and gain their backing on his action.  

He didn't have to.  Once he called in Geithner and Summers, everyone knew what was going to happen.  They were acolytes of Bob Rubin (Mr. Goldman Sachs) who started the Hamilton Project. Of which Obama attended a few meetings.  Do I really have to say anything more?

One of the biggest bail outs in history took place for the  pet Wall Street investment banks.  Who went to jail?  (Sound of crickets chirping.).

Obama settled on the weakest remedy:  a stimulus package and a bail out package.  Kristol could not have hoped for anything more.  What the GOP really feared was a second New Deal.  They realized that if such a thing happened, it would redefine the political party system much like FDR did. I mean, to say Obama was better than W, I mean what does that mean?  W was the  worst president in history.  Until that time. Give me a break.

Let us never forget: it was Clinton who signed off on derivatives, and Clinton who signed off on the repeal of Glass Steagall,  Obama once introduced Clinton as a "great president"🤮

The Harris/Biden ticket is simply the Bill and HIllary/DNC dream team.  If you liked the Clintons and Obama--with HRC as secretary of state--this is your ticket. Go ahead and celebrate.  

If you preferred Sanders and Warren, well, vote Green in California.  Which I will.

The thing to celebrate today is Ilhan winning.  The squad will be intact.  That is the real hope of the Democratic party.

Edited by James DiEugenio

14 minutes ago, James DiEugenio said:

Sandy:

Obama had the opportunity of the century to really do something  big about the American economy.  If you recall, I do, some people like Michael Moore, were talking about a second New Deal.  There was never a time like that that I can recall in my lifetime.  The GOP was discredited, homes were being lost, investment banks were going under, commercial banks were going BK.  Some of the largest BK's in history took place at that time.  There was never a better time to do a restructure. Even better than today.  Did Obama call in Stieglitz?  Nope.

Was Stieglitz a Senator? Nope, and Obama needed 60 votes in the Senate to pass anything.

The Democrats only had 57 Senators, plus Independent Joe Lieberman in their caucus.  They needed Lieberman and 2 Republicans to go along with anything.

Would Lieberman have gone along with this radical restructuring?  Susan Collins? Arlen Specter?

Gimme a break!

What does Obama do instead?  He has a meeting with a bunch of conservative writers, e.g. Kristol, to try and gain their backing on his action.  

He didn't have to. 

Out of what orifice does DiEugenio pull the idea Lieberman-Collins-Specter would have gone along?

Once he called in Geithner and Summers, everyone knew what was going to happen. 

The longest period of economic expansion in history?

They were acolytes of Bob Rubin (Mr. Goldman Sachs) who started the Hamilton Project. Of which Obama attended a few meetings.  Do I really have to say anything more?

One of the biggest bail outs in history took place for the  pet Wall Street investment banks.  Who went to jail?  (Sound of crickets chirping.).

Obama settled on the weakest remedy:  a stimulus package and a bail out package. 

Does DiEugenio have a clue about the role of Congress in economic policy?

Kristol could not have hoped for anything more.  What the GOP really feared was a second New Deal.  They realized that if such a thing happened, it would redefine the political party system much like FDR did. I mean, to say Obama was better than W, I mean what does that mean?  W was the  worst president in history.  Until that time. Give me a break.

And Obama was supposed to pull this off with 57 Senators?

Let us never forget: it was Clinton who signed off on derivatives, and Clinton who signed off on the repeal of Glass Steagall,  Obama once introduced Clinton as a "great president"🤮

The Harris/Biden ticket is simply the Bill and HIllary/DNC dream team. 

Not according to Bernie Sanders.

How Joe Biden and Bernie Sanders joined forces to craft a bold, progressive agenda

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/how-joe-biden-and-bernie-sanders-joined-forces-to-craft-a-bold-progressive-agenda/ar-BB16xrwJ

If you liked the Clintons and Obama--with HRC as secretary of state--this is your ticket. Go ahead and celebrate.  

If you preferred Sanders and Warren, well, vote Green in California.  Which I will.

If you want to sit on the sidelines instead of taking a stand against a wanna-be Fascist dictator by all means show your true colors.

If you don’t stand against Trump you stand with him — pretty much what RussiaGate-denier DiEugenio has done for the past 4 years.

I see Bernie Sanders has welcomed Kamala Harris, and that former Gov. Kasich from my home state of Ohio will be speaking on the first night of the Democratic convention. This election is it, for whether America goes hard fascist. Pre-Third Reich days. Biden has his faults but does not breathe cruelty and lust for totalitarian power combined with charismatic appeal to the worst instincts of demagoguery to achieve it. That 40% of Americans support this nightmare president, who is just as open as can be concerning what he intends to do with political opponents and unleashed authoritarianism, is appalling beyond words.

I would like to see a Bernie party (though Bernie is not going that direction) or some social-democratic equivalent follow a policy building from the ground up of "contesting only winnable elections" and then winning them. Standing down if an election does not have a reasonable prospect of outright victory, and coalition with the larger Democratic Party strategically in caucusing and votes (and trade-off standing down in election districts as part of coalition negotiation). But since nothing like that is taking traction, its the Democratic big tent for me, since that is where the Bernie people are, at least here in Washington state.