The Education Forum

COUP IN DALLAS

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I’m happy to see you here Leslie. It’s curious to me that Judyth Baker made no reference to either Jack Crichton or Otto Skorzeny, important clues in Coup in Dallas. Well, no one wants to entertain the possibility that Skorzeny was part of this, or that Jean Souetre might actually have worked with Skorzeny in Spain or actually been in Dallas on Nov 22, 1963. Everyone seems to think the French Connection was disproven many years ago, and that is understandable, because when the story broke it was quickly subverted with endless questions about aliases and the Houston dentist, and by jailed Christian David, who named his own set of French assassins that didn’t pass close inspection. I hope I have that right. Others think Souetre was more of a PR person for OAS, that he never actually visited the US, per Bud Fensterwald, to meet Walker and Bannister. And of course Walker and Oilman Hunt get a free pass too these days. And I’ll add that the CIA’s eventual admission that QJWIN was Jose Maria Andres Mankel is taken as gospel, despite the clear evidence that the moniker referred to an operation, or at least several operatives, one of whom may have been Jean Pierre Lafitte, and another Skorzeny himself. Aliases abound. Mankel was someone, but there is no independant corroboration for that individual. 

Paul Brancato

Thank you for the welcome, Paul. I’m relieved to have the opportunity to discuss Coup on this forum.

I too was surprised that Judyth Baker failed to emphasize the numerous breakthroughs discovered during Hank’s final investigation, particularly the Skorzenys — both Otto and his wife Ilse who played a vital role in the operation.  That said, I’ve come to realize that the material in Coup is triggering a wide spectrum of reactions, apparently based on the reader’s own perspective, and usually filtered through their independent research and personal experience. I think Judyth focused on how this detail fits in with her personal story in her analysis of Coup. I’ll provide a detail response in a few days.

Thus far, aside from the question of authenticity of the Lafitte datebook, the greatest resistance has been to the idea that a poopoo element (albeit technically “former” poopoo) was directly involved, and that Jean Souetre—who trained with Hitler's Favorite Commando, Otto Skorzeny— was indeed a Kennedy assassin. 

We agree that aliases abound. Pierre Lafitte is known to have adopted at least twenty over the years. With reference to Mankel, Hank writes,

Lastly, in regard to other CIA recruited QJ/WIN participants that Pierre Lafitte interacted with, there was Edward Lawton Smith, a Canadian born in Nova Scotia on April 5, 1921 and who came to the United States sometime in the early 1950s, and, on occasion, worked in Europe with QJ/WIN-2, Jose Marie Mankel, an alias used sometimes by Lafitte.

848 - Harvey - …

White – Smith (Canada)

—Lafitte datebook, January 24, 1963

The following is the interview of Dr. Larry Alderson, a Houston dentist who befriended Souetre while in the military in the ‘50s, by J. Gary Shaw who (as we all know) worked closely with Bud Fensterwald up until Bud’s untimely death. With Gary’s permission, I also attach a photo of Souetre taken by Alderson. Under a separate post I'll provide a composite of images of Jean Rene Souetre (who often used the alias Michel Mertz) and Michel Victor Mertz (who often used the alias Jean Souetre).

(also for Ty Carpenter )

Excerpt, “Coup in Dallas . . . “ 

[Dr. = Dr. Larry Alderson; GS = Gary Shaw. unedited text.]

“ . . . Pleasantries aside, Shaw launched in:

GS: I won’t take but a minute, but I’m an architect, as the girl has probably told you, in Cleburne, Texas. But among the things that I do as a maybe hobby, is looking into the events surrounding November 22, 1963 and the killing of President Kennedy. One of the things I learned just recently is that a fellow by the name of Jean Souetre, who’s a Frenchman, knew you or received mail from you and he was in Dallas… in Ft. Worth on the morning, and in Dallas that afternoon, and was later on expelled from the United States for reasons as of yet unknown. 

Dr: How did you find this out?

GS: From a CIA document that was recently declassified. You’ve probably been reading somewhat about this. My interest lies in a photograph I have of Souetre and…

Dr: Swetra… [pronouncing]

GS: How is it?

Dr: Swetra…

GS: Swetra, okay… and see if I could identify it as it being he. Could you help with that?

Dr: Sure. Be happy to.

GS: Okay. Maybe you could even give me a little information about his, I don’t know how well you knew him or anything.

Dr: Very well.

GS: Very well?

Dr: Your information is very correct, but there were a few more things involved but all I’m getting is second and third hand because I have not seen him in many, many years. As a matter of fact, I have not seen him in quite a bit before that time but… he was flown out of Dallas and I don’t know why and don’t know by whom.

GS: Do you not even know why he was there?

Dr: I don’t have the vaguest idea, according to the CIA when they interviewed me, he was on his way to see me. I don’t know how they knew this or I don’t know whether they had even come in contact with him.

GS: What kind of individual was he? 

Dr: I don’t know, it’s hard to explain. He’s a career soldier. From what I can gather he was in the French Underground Movement in Algiers. I do know he did leave the French Air Force. When I knew him I was a Security Officer with him in France and lived with him. So, I knew him quite well. He was very well educated. He was very outgoing, forward, dynamic. He was from a very poor family therefore, in France you don’t have a thing if you’re from a poor family unless you have a military career behind you.

GS: Right.

Dr: So, he was very interested in this and this was why I never did really understand why he left it. But he very definitely left, I presume, his wife... I have not heard from her in, well, many years. She was a very well-to-do, beautiful, Southern French wine-family type situation. And the last time I heard, I heard from her and she was the one that had told me that he had left the French Army and had gone into the underground trying to save Algiers. So evidently he was rather committed or felt committed to leave his career, which was the only career he had. And the next time I heard from him, quite truthfully, was when the CIA, or the FBI rather, had me tailed for about two months following the investigation. And I knew I was being trailed and followed. [Italics added.]

GS: And didn’t know why?

Dr: And didn’t know why. It got interesting after a while, and they finally called and made their show and came in and interviewed me and they were trying to find Jean under any circumstances under any conditions. They just wanted to talk and, you know, and I never heard from him.

GS: Right. What did he look like? Do you… can you give me just a …

Dr: He was good looking, tall, rather angular, last time I saw him. He had kind-of curly hair, dark brown, good looking guy, handsome guy.

GS: What did he do? Did he have any trade other than professional soldier?

Dr: Not at all, he was a professional soldier. That’s why I say, in France, you know, either you’re left a trade or left something in life or you have nothing. There’s no happy-middle-class-in-between in France. And he was from the lower class, he didn’t belong to the happy-middle in-between class which didn’t exist, so that is why his whole life was French Air Force. And he was a very prominent upcoming French Security Officer. When I knew him, he was a lieutenant.

GS: Well, it’s a strange set of circumstances. I’ll read you the dispatch if you like.

Dr: I’d be interested in seeing it. If you want me to look at a picture, I’d be happy to identify a picture for you.

GS: Okay.

Dr: I’d be interested in seeing it. I’ve never heard from the investigation, except I contacted the, I guess, defunct Committee that doesn’t exist anymore or, whether they do exist I really don’t know, they’ve been through so much hassle the last year or so. 

GS: Right.

Dr: They felt that Jean knew who or he himself had assassinated Kennedy. And what they wanted to know was who in Washington [D.C.] had him flown out of Dallas. [Italics added.] 

GS: You don’t know? 

Dr: I don’t have the vaguest idea. 

GS: Well, it’s a strange affair. When I saw your name and saw that you were still in Houston, I felt the best thing to do was call. Was it in a service connection that you knew him? Was it in Germany?

Dr: No, it was in France. Matter of fact, he was in the, I don’t remember, Second French Air Force Headquarters, whatever it was, in which is uh, just outside of France.

GS: Well this thing reads like this: Jean Souetre, also known as Michal Roux, I guess that is the way you pronounce that, also known as Michal Mertz on 5 March 64, the FBI advised the French had the Legal Attaché in Paris and also the [redacted word] had questioned the Bureau in New York City concerning subject [Souetre] stating that he had been expelled from the U.S. at Ft. Worth or Dallas 18 hours after the assassination. He was expelled to either Mexico or Canada. In January he received mail from a dentist named Alderson living at 5803 Birmingham, Houston, Texas. Subject is believed to be identical with a captain who is a deserter from the French Army and is active in the OAS.

Dr: That’s true.

GS: The French are concerned because of De Gaul’s [sic] planned visit to Mexico. They would like to know the reason for the expulsion from the U.S. and his destination. Bureau files are negative and they are checking in Texas and with the INS. That’s basically it. 

Dr: Well, you know you will find another report because that’s not the one that was filed. You will find one in the FBI files which was my interview. [Italics added.]

GS: Okay, I’m running your name down with the Archives. I doubt that I will find it in the National Archives. It is probably a withheld report, because we have not come across it yet. 

Dr: The last contact I had with the CIA was in France when I was working with them. So, the only contact I had in this country was with the FBI. [Oddly, Shaw does not ask Dr. Alderson the nature of his CIA connections in France.]

GS: I see…. Well, you have been helpful. I think what I’d like to do if you don’t mind is send you these photographs and let you look at them.

Dr: Are they fairly recent?

GS: No, they were taken in 1963.

Dr: Okay, the only one I had was taken long before that, but he could have aged.

GS: Do you have a photograph of him?

Dr: Yes.

GS: Well, I would be interested in seeing that too.

Dr: Yes, be happy to. Mail it down if you got it. 10600 Fondren, Suite 102.

Gary Shaw’s dogged pursuit of records related to Jean Souetre, Michel Roux, Michael Mertz and Christian David, as well as Thomas Eli Davis, resulted in FOIA suits against the Dept. of State, the FBI, CIA, the DEA and INS under the auspices of the DOJ. Essentially, plaintiff Shaw who was represented by assassination investigator/attorney—and his good friend—Bud Fensterwald, (himself a plaintiff), took the government to task for failure to perform the search requests in good faith. In February 1983, Shaw v. US Dept. of State, 559 F. Supp. 1053 (D.D.C. 1983,) the court ruled:

Having considered defendants' motions, plaintiffs' oppositions thereto, the supporting affidavits and the entire record herein, and based upon in camera review, it is, this 28th day of February 1983, hereby ORDERED, that defendants' motions shall be granted; and it is FURTHER ORDERED that judgment shall be entered in favor of defendants the Department of State, the Federal Bureau of Investigation, the Central Intelligence Agency, Immigration and Naturalization Service, and the Department of Justice and against the plaintiffs Gary Shaw and Bernard Fensterwald, Jr.

Both Shaw and Fensterwald, without benefit of the evidence revealed in the records of Pierre Lafitte, had astutely suspected that the failure of Texas officials to hold Souetre or possible accomplices for questioning revealed a potentially explosive breakthrough in the investigation into the assassination.”

IMG_0720.jpeg

Edited by Leslie Sharp

From my recent FB post:
Why is there still confusion over the real/physical identities of Jean Rene Souetre (who sometimes used the alias Michel Mertz) and Michel V. Mertz (who sometimes used the alias Jean Souetre)?

Clockwise: upper left Jean Souetre; side by side photos captioned Michel Mertz; Jean Souetre c. 1953; Michel Mertz; Michel Mertz with rifle.
Souetre-Mertz identity confusion.pdf
The caption for the side by side images which purportedly originated from official French intelligence files reads (rough translation):
This poor quality photograph is a unique piece.
It is the agent of the DST Michel Mertz, from two different angles, infiltrator of the OAS environment to protect de Gaulle
He was in Dallas November 22 where he pretended to be Souetre. His presence in Texas is proof that the French services knew that Kennedy was going to be assassinated that day.

Hello Ron Bulman

There is a good deal of general biographical information on Robert Storey now online. Effective search terms would be SMU or Texas Bar Association. He was known internationally as a kind of roving ambassador for American interests.  His obituary is online. 

Relevant excerpts from Hank Albarelli’s  “Coup in Dallas . . . “ with Leslie Sharp and Alan Kent:

“ . . . The Howard Corp. which held approximately $15 million in assets, generating millions in profits annually represented a potential for channeling far more substantial funds for the CIA than the Hoblitzelle Foundation, far earlier, perhaps as early as the close of WWII when agency asset Robert Storey returned to Dallas to resume his law practice and join the boards of Republic and Lakewood, a bank that he would soon preside over as president in spite of having no experience in banking. 

As noted earlier, both Storey and Houston lawyer Leon Jaworski had served under Judge Robert Jackson during the war tribunals which included the trial of SS Otto Skorzeny. The details of that trial have been elaborated on previously in this book. 

Following the war, Robert Storey’s colleague, Jaworski returned to Houston and resumed the practice of law from his offices located in the Bank of the Southwest. He would soon be elected to the bank board and was retained as Legal Counsel for Schlumberger, Ltd., whose headquarters were also located in the Bank of the Southwest building. The reader will recall details of Schlumberger in the chapter focused on jack of all trades Thomas Eli Davis, Jr. Dallas offices of both Schlumberger, Ltd. and attorney Leon Jaworski were located in the Republic National Bank building. . . . 

. . . Writes Henry T. King, Jr., a former member of the US prosecuting team in Nuremberg: “In the evidentiary phase of the Nuremberg trials Jackson’s approach offered fairness to the defendants. Jackson wanted the primary Nuremberg case against the Nazis to be substantiated by their own documents. He wanted less reliance on the testimony of witnesses and this approach precipitated a critical dispute with William J. Donovan, his presumed deputy, who wanted the case to be based on greater use of witnesses. Jackson prevailed, and Donovan went home.” 

For the purpose of this investigation, also serving the US prosecution team under Jackson, were attorneys Robert G. Storey and Leon Jaworski. It is significant to note that both men became esteemed Texas attorneys and advanced lucrative practices with special emphasis on their oil industry expertise. Later, the two Texans not only served as assisting lawyers to the Warren Commission investigating JFK’s assassination, but they were appointed to the formal group created by Texas Attorney General Waggoner Carr that produced its own report on the assassination, essentially a “ringing endorsement” of the Warren Commission Report. Readers shall encounter the significance of Jaworski and Storey in a later chapter. . . .

300 North Ervay — Republic National Bank and Howard Corp

The following from The Handbook of Texas, compiled by the Texas State Historical Association and available online, offers an introduction to a little known fact behind the phenomenal success of Republic National Bank of Dallas from the 1940s thru the early 1970s: “In what some consider his most important management decision, [Fred] Florence [as head of Republic National Bank], organized a wholly owned subsidiary, the Howard Corporation, in 1946 to receive the petroleum properties of Republic National in exchange for its authorized capital stock. The company, which took its name from Howard County, Texas, where some of the oil properties were located, acquired numerous shares of Teléfonos de México, invested in twenty Texas banks, Highland Park Village, and six other shopping centers, and undeveloped real estate, and paid huge dividends. By 1948 Republic was the largest bank in Texas. Howard's stock was transferred to a separate trust in 1955, but in 1973 the Federal Reserve Bank required Republic to divest itself of the Howard Corporation's non-banking assets in order to form a holding company known as the Republic of Texas Corporation.”

The veil of secrecy was lifted from ‘The Howard Corp” et al by officers

of the Republic National Bank of Dallas.

—Al Altwegg, Business Ed., Dallas Morning News, Feb 1964

In the early ’60s, Business Editor of the Dallas Morning News, Al Altwegg began to delve into the shadowy Howard Corp. Under a March 10, 1963, headline, “The Howard Corp. Unique in Banking,” Altwegg reported that as early as 1959 someone had raised the question of whether or not Republic National Bank was in violation of the National Bank Holding Act. The trustees of Howard Corp., which included the president of Republic, James W. Aston, reporting directly to Chairman Karl Hoblitzelle, managed to convince Texas banking authorities that there was no violation of the state’s laws prohibiting branch banking. Republic’s scheme was to purchase majority shares in various banks around the area under what seem to have been shell corporations within the Howard Corp, trust, thereby skirting scrutiny because each corporation held the controlling shares independent of Republic Bank. Those thirteen “non-branch banks” included Lakewood State Bank, whose president at the time of the assassination, Robert G. Storey, Jr., was an alleged CIA asset after the war and looms large in our story. 

Duvall, a US Army Major during WWII was serving under Judge Robert H. Jackson at the same time Jackson had seconded Col. Robert G. Storey to search for evidence to support the charges against poopoo war criminals. Judge Jackson had known Storey through the American Bar Association before the war, and when he heard that Storey had uncovered valuable documents related to Russia, he tasked his friend with the search for evidence to be presented in the war crimes trials. That search resulted in the discovery of forty-seven crates of poopoo records.

Now we see Storey and Duvall named side by side in private records of the manager of a conspiracy, two days before the assassination, followed by reference to DeM which we can safely assume was George de Mohrenschildt. During an interview with the FBI, Judge Duvall revealed that he had met the de Mohrenschildts in January 1963, and several months later had dined with the couple in Dallas. He reported that over dinner, de Mohrenschildt had asked if he might assist his new friend, the recently repatriated defector to Russia, Lee Harvey Oswald with his dishonorable discharge. 

In one of the more odd twists of fate in this saga, Judge Duvall was also approached in the immediate aftermath of Jack Ruby’s shooting of Oswald. It seems that the man, an acquaintance of Judge Duvall for over two decades had worked as a bookkeeper for Ruby in early 1963, alleged that he had seen Jack Ruby and Oswald together in Ruby’s Carousel Club.

Bob Storey passed away in 1981. Judge Duvall followed him a year later. . . .

. . . The parent company of the bank, Republic National Corporation headed by Fred Florence, who as mentioned earlier was the inspiration behind The Howard Corp just after the war, purchased controlling shares of Lakewood State Bank, a bank organized in 1941 by banker J. F. Parks, Sr. along with the Storey family of Greenville, Texas. Robert Jr. would be named to the board of RNB in 1949. . . .

. . . By 1965, with the official US entry into the Vietnam War, LTV’s F-8 became the first US Navy aircraft to routinely battle North Vietnamese MiGs. According to an online source, “The F-8 entered combat in April 1965, the F-8s from USS Hancock (CV-19) quickly established the aircraft as an agile dogfighter, though despite its "last gunfighter" moniker, most of its kills came through the use of air-to-air missiles . . . The US Marine Corps also operated the Crusader, flying from airfields in South Vietnam. Though primarily a fighter, F-8s also saw duty in ground attack roles during the conflict.”

These military contracts were overseen under the roof of the Republic National Bank building, the home of LTV’s corporate headquarters. At the time, LTV employed 20,000 Americans, the majority located at the plant in Greenville, Texas, forty miles north of Dallas. Greenville was the hometown of Col. Robert G. Storey, Jr., and the town sheriff for over a decade happened to be the father-in-law of Officer J. D. Tippitt. Following a series of divestitures and spin-offs over the next four decades, remnants of LTV survive in Greenville through L-3 Technologies, contractor for the Department of Defense, selected US government intelligence agencies, aerospace companies, and commercial telecommunications and wireless customers. . . .”

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/4/2022 at 12:48 PM, Leslie Sharp said:

Hello Ron Bulman

There is a good deal of general biographical information on Robert Storey now online. Effective search terms would be SMU or Texas Bar Association. He was known internationally as a kind of roving ambassador for American interests.  His obituary is online. 

Relevant excerpts from Hank Albarelli’s  “Coup in Dallas . . . “ with Leslie Sharp and Alan Kent:

“ . . . The Howard Corp. which held approximately $15 million in assets, generating millions in profits annually represented a potential for channeling far more substantial funds for the CIA than the Hoblitzelle Foundation, far earlier, perhaps as early as the close of WWII when agency asset Robert Storey returned to Dallas to resume his law practice and join the boards of Republic and Lakewood, a bank that he would soon preside over as president in spite of having no experience in banking. 

As noted earlier, both Storey and Houston lawyer Leon Jaworski had served under Judge Robert Jackson during the war tribunals which included the trial of SS Otto Skorzeny. The details of that trial have been elaborated on previously in this book. 

Following the war, Robert Storey’s colleague, Jaworski returned to Houston and resumed the practice of law from his offices located in the Bank of the Southwest. He would soon be elected to the bank board and was retained as Legal Counsel for Schlumberger, Ltd., whose headquarters were also located in the Bank of the Southwest building. The reader will recall details of Schlumberger in the chapter focused on jack of all trades Thomas Eli Davis, Jr. Dallas offices of both Schlumberger, Ltd. and attorney Leon Jaworski were located in the Republic National Bank building. . . . 

. . . Writes Henry T. King, Jr., a former member of the US prosecuting team in Nuremberg: “In the evidentiary phase of the Nuremberg trials Jackson’s approach offered fairness to the defendants. Jackson wanted the primary Nuremberg case against the Nazis to be substantiated by their own documents. He wanted less reliance on the testimony of witnesses and this approach precipitated a critical dispute with William J. Donovan, his presumed deputy, who wanted the case to be based on greater use of witnesses. Jackson prevailed, and Donovan went home.” 

For the purpose of this investigation, also serving the US prosecution team under Jackson, were attorneys Robert G. Storey and Leon Jaworski. It is significant to note that both men became esteemed Texas attorneys and advanced lucrative practices with special emphasis on their oil industry expertise. Later, the two Texans not only served as assisting lawyers to the Warren Commission investigating JFK’s assassination, but they were appointed to the formal group created by Texas Attorney General Waggoner Carr that produced its own report on the assassination, essentially a “ringing endorsement” of the Warren Commission Report. Readers shall encounter the significance of Jaworski and Storey in a later chapter. . . .

300 North Ervay — Republic National Bank and Howard Corp

The following from The Handbook of Texas, compiled by the Texas State Historical Association and available online, offers an introduction to a little known fact behind the phenomenal success of Republic National Bank of Dallas from the 1940s thru the early 1970s: “In what some consider his most important management decision, [Fred] Florence [as head of Republic National Bank], organized a wholly owned subsidiary, the Howard Corporation, in 1946 to receive the petroleum properties of Republic National in exchange for its authorized capital stock. The company, which took its name from Howard County, Texas, where some of the oil properties were located, acquired numerous shares of Teléfonos de México, invested in twenty Texas banks, Highland Park Village, and six other shopping centers, and undeveloped real estate, and paid huge dividends. By 1948 Republic was the largest bank in Texas. Howard's stock was transferred to a separate trust in 1955, but in 1973 the Federal Reserve Bank required Republic to divest itself of the Howard Corporation's non-banking assets in order to form a holding company known as the Republic of Texas Corporation.”

The veil of secrecy was lifted from ‘The Howard Corp” et al by officers

of the Republic National Bank of Dallas.

—Al Altwegg, Business Ed., Dallas Morning News, Feb 1964

In the early ’60s, Business Editor of the Dallas Morning News, Al Altwegg began to delve into the shadowy Howard Corp. Under a March 10, 1963, headline, “The Howard Corp. Unique in Banking,” Altwegg reported that as early as 1959 someone had raised the question of whether or not Republic National Bank was in violation of the National Bank Holding Act. The trustees of Howard Corp., which included the president of Republic, James W. Aston, reporting directly to Chairman Karl Hoblitzelle, managed to convince Texas banking authorities that there was no violation of the state’s laws prohibiting branch banking. Republic’s scheme was to purchase majority shares in various banks around the area under what seem to have been shell corporations within the Howard Corp, trust, thereby skirting scrutiny because each corporation held the controlling shares independent of Republic Bank. Those thirteen “non-branch banks” included Lakewood State Bank, whose president at the time of the assassination, Robert G. Storey, Jr., was an alleged CIA asset after the war and looms large in our story. 

Duvall, a US Army Major during WWII was serving under Judge Robert H. Jackson at the same time Jackson had seconded Col. Robert G. Storey to search for evidence to support the charges against poopoo war criminals. Judge Jackson had known Storey through the American Bar Association before the war, and when he heard that Storey had uncovered valuable documents related to Russia, he tasked his friend with the search for evidence to be presented in the war crimes trials. That search resulted in the discovery of forty-seven crates of poopoo records.

Now we see Storey and Duvall named side by side in private records of the manager of a conspiracy, two days before the assassination, followed by reference to DeM which we can safely assume was George de Mohrenschildt. During an interview with the FBI, Judge Duvall revealed that he had met the de Mohrenschildts in January 1963, and several months later had dined with the couple in Dallas. He reported that over dinner, de Mohrenschildt had asked if he might assist his new friend, the recently repatriated defector to Russia, Lee Harvey Oswald with his dishonorable discharge. 

In one of the more odd twists of fate in this saga, Judge Duvall was also approached in the immediate aftermath of Jack Ruby’s shooting of Oswald. It seems that the man, an acquaintance of Judge Duvall for over two decades had worked as a bookkeeper for Ruby in early 1963, alleged that he had seen Jack Ruby and Oswald together in Ruby’s Carousel Club.

Bob Storey passed away in 1981. Judge Duvall followed him a year later. . . .

. . . The parent company of the bank, Republic National Corporation headed by Fred Florence, who as mentioned earlier was the inspiration behind The Howard Corp just after the war, purchased controlling shares of Lakewood State Bank, a bank organized in 1941 by banker J. F. Parks, Sr. along with the Storey family of Greenville, Texas. Robert Jr. would be named to the board of RNB in 1949. . . .

. . . By 1965, with the official US entry into the Vietnam War, LTV’s F-8 became the first US Navy aircraft to routinely battle North Vietnamese MiGs. According to an online source, “The F-8 entered combat in April 1965, the F-8s from USS Hancock (CV-19) quickly established the aircraft as an agile dogfighter, though despite its "last gunfighter" moniker, most of its kills came through the use of air-to-air missiles . . . The US Marine Corps also operated the Crusader, flying from airfields in South Vietnam. Though primarily a fighter, F-8s also saw duty in ground attack roles during the conflict.”

These military contracts were overseen under the roof of the Republic National Bank building, the home of LTV’s corporate headquarters. At the time, LTV employed 20,000 Americans, the majority located at the plant in Greenville, Texas, forty miles north of Dallas. Greenville was the hometown of Col. Robert G. Storey, Jr., and the town sheriff for over a decade happened to be the father-in-law of Officer J. D. Tippitt. Following a series of divestitures and spin-offs over the next four decades, remnants of LTV survive in Greenville through L-3 Technologies, contractor for the Department of Defense, selected US government intelligence agencies, aerospace companies, and commercial telecommunications and wireless customers. . . .”

Thanks Leslie.  I guess it's obvious how little I knew about Storey.  A Nuremburg prosecutor, associate of Leon Jaworski, and CIA asset.  Regarding the last with him being from Dallas and the circles he would have been associated with I'd guess he knew asset Mayor Earl Cabell and his brother General Charles Cabell, fired from the CIA by JFK at the same time as Dulles.  If the CIA did participate in JFK's assassination I'd think it would be useful to have assets in high places, locally.

As an aside, my dad worked several years at LTV's Grand Prairie Texas plant as an industrial engineer.  I feel sure you already know owner of the Texas School book Depository and founder of the Civil Air Patrol, Harld "Dry Hole" Byrd also owned a large part of LTV.  As an oil and gas attorney Storey probably rubbed elbows at few times with him as well.  

Dad also got a 10 year pin from Bell Helicopter working at their Hurst Texas plant.  Where Michael Paine was employed in November 1963.  But, I digress. 

• 5 months later...

I think the book is very important and worthwhile, but its needless and irrelevant heavy dose of ultra-liberal politics substantially ruined the book for me and will turn off many centrists and center-right people. I mean, it borders on fringe to claim that Trump's election in 2016 was based on a resurgence of fascism, homophobia, racism, and xenophobia, or all of the above. "Make America Great Again" and "America First" are "fascist," and even "neo-Na-i," ideas??? Really? I lost count how many times the book says that Trump and his supporters are "anti-immigration." No, they're not anti-immigration; they are anti-illegal immigration--there's a huge difference.

I'm no big fan of Trump's as a person. I think he's a man of bad character and bad behavior, but he was not the first less-than-ideal man we've had in the White House.

I was surprised by the book's poor scholarship on the Amerasia case (pp. 603-604). I don't know if Albarelli wrote the segment and then Kent and/or Sharp revised it, or if Kent and/or Sharp wrote the segment. The segment substantially misrepresents the evidence, especially the nature of the government docs that were found in the Amerasia office. The segment's argument that "even the Justice Department" concluded that the people involved were merely guilty of "an excess of journalistic zeal" is erroneous. In truth, the Truman Justice Department whitewashed the matter and ignored the clear evidence of serious espionage. Albarelli was a thorough researcher, so if he wrote that segment, that means he had a serious blind spot when it came to dealing with communist espionage in the 1940s. 

Edited by Michael Griffith

2 hours ago, Michael Griffith said:

I think the book is very important and worthwhile, but its needless and irrelevant heavy dose of ultra-liberal politics substantially ruined the book for me and will turn off many centrists and center-right people. I mean, it borders on fringe to claim that Trump's election in 2016 was based on a resurgence of fascism, homophobia, racism, and xenophobia, or all of the above. "Make America Great Again" and "America First" are "fascist," and even "neo-Na-i," ideas??? Really? I lost count how many times the book says that Trump and his supporters are "anti-immigration." No, they're not anti-immigration; they are anti-illegal immigration--there's a huge difference.

I'm no big fan of Trump's as a person. I think he's a man of bad character and bad behavior, but he was not the first less-than-ideal man we've had in the White House.

I was surprised by the book's poor scholarship on the Amerasia case (pp. 603-604). I don't know if Albarelli wrote the segment and then Kent and/or Sharp revised it, or if Kent and/or Sharp wrote the segment. The segment substantially misrepresents the evidence, especially the nature of the government docs that were found in the Amerasia office. The segment's argument that "even the Justice Department" concluded that the people involved were merely guilty of "an excess of journalistic zeal" is erroneous. In truth, the Truman Justice Department whitewashed the matter and ignored the clear evidence of serious espionage. Albarelli was a thorough researcher, so if he wrote that segment, that means he had a serious blind spot when it came to dealing with communist espionage in the 1940s. 

Without getting into the sloppy details, I watched way too many Trump speeches, read too many articles about Trump and his minions, and talked with way too many of his supporters in my purple congressional district. And it can not be reasonably argued that Trump was merely anti-illegal immigration. He and his supporters were adamantly against all non-white and non-Christian immigrants and the whole concept of "Make America Great Again" was code for "Make America white and Christian again." 

When one looks further at the meaning of the word "fascist" one should realize that this applies to Mr. Trump far and beyond that of most conservatives, and that it's actually quite appropriate. His wrapping himself in the flag...his enthusiasm for military parades...his vilification of the press...his demonization of his enemies...his refusal to concede an election...these are all plays from the fascist playbook. 

On 8/4/2022 at 3:24 PM, Michael Griffith said:

Trump is separated into a new "bad character and bad behavior" territory category from any previous "less than ideal man " President to such an epic degree, it's ... well ... crazy!

What other President tried to initiate a violent coup by thousands of worked up death threat shouting mob thugs ( with our own Capital building full of our Congress as a main target of attack ) after being constitutionally voted out of office?

Sorry, downplaying Trump's treasonous acts of trying to subvert, overturn and even overthrow our most important democratic process lawful election as no more serious and dangerous as other bad character President's behavior ( Watergate was nothing compared to the Jan.6th attack ) is so logically and even factually weak it's not even worth debating ... imo.

We are in new "clear and present danger" to our democracy territory with Donald Trump as stated on live TV to 20 million Americans by highly revered conservative Federal Judge Michael Luttig.

Former VP Dick Chaney just stated the same warning and added the title of "COWARD" to Donald Trump's character and actions.

Arizona Republican Rusty Bowers also proclaimed to national TV audiences that Trump "has no courage."

These few big boulder Trump criticism cliff crumblings are signaling a much larger landslide of full blown no holds barred Trump repudiation. 

Oh, sorry.

I just realized this post should be in the Joseph McBride thread at the top of our forum index page.

However, the Michael Griffith post above defending by down playing Donald Trump's bad character and behavior made me forget the new rule.

I'll delete this post if MG's off thread topic post is deleted as well.

Edited by Joe Bauer

Oops; still learning this posting stuff.  What I tried didn't work.

Reading the exchanges/comments above, I was just reminded of the "Toilet Paper Lesson" video that a teenager posted of her dad, subsequent to the Covid 19 outbreak, when everyone was buying/hoarding toilet paper, for fear the country would run out.  The girl's dad basically "did the math", showing that it would be impossible to use the amount people were buying/hoarding, and it was that that was causing the "crisis".  He ended the video by saying, "Now let's all calm down." 

Anyway, I'm not taking sides - just sharing another view.

You Tube video: Trump's Virtues - Tom Klingenstein.  

I do enjoy the passion for the subject - whatever side.

On 8/4/2022 at 8:59 PM, Pat Speer said:

Without getting into the sloppy details, I watched way too many Trump speeches, read too many articles about Trump and his minions, and talked with way too many of his supporters in my purple congressional district. And it can not be reasonably argued that Trump was merely anti-illegal immigration. He and his supporters were adamantly against all non-white and non-Christian immigrants and the whole concept of "Make America Great Again" was code for "Make America white and Christian again." 

When one looks further at the meaning of the word "fascist" one should realize that this applies to Mr. Trump far and beyond that of most conservatives, and that it's actually quite appropriate. His wrapping himself in the flag...his enthusiasm for military parades...his vilification of the press...his demonization of his enemies...his refusal to concede an election...these are all plays from the fascist playbook. 

I think that is patently absurd. I watched many, many Trump speeches too, and I heard him say over and over again that he was fine with legal immigration but opposed illegal immigration. He also made the common-sense point that at least some legal immigrants should have job skills that are needed in our economy, just as many European nations require.

Although Trump was my fourth pick among GOP candidates in the 2016 GOP primary, I worked as a volunteer in his campaign in the general election, and I never heard anyone--not one single person--express the view that we should halt all forms of immigration, much less that we needed to "make America white again." I never heard a word of any such thing in all the many hours I spent among Trump supporters. Not once.

Furthermore, in the Trump years, legal immigration largely mirrored what it was in previous decades:

Key findings about U.S. immigrants | Pew Research Center

The key point is that barbs against Trump over immigration policy, much less sweeping tar-brush attacks on conservatives, have no place in a book on the JFK assassination. The infusion of far-left politics into pro-conspiracy JFK books is the reason that so many people have the perception that only liberals doubt the WC, that only liberals believe in a JFK assassination plot, etc., etc. 

Edited by Michael Griffith