The Education Forum

Prayer Man More Than A Fuzzy Picture

2 hours ago, Leslie Sharp said:

I remember debating the interpretation of the notes as an exercise mostly to emphasize that Australians didn't "speak Dallas."

I wonder if Bart has read Coup

I wonder if you could recount your take on Hosty's note which referred to Oswald as saying he "went outside to watch p parade"  after eating lunch. Seems straight forward.  Even Australians could understand it.  It's a crucial piece of evidence.  Am I missing something?

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 8/4/2023 at 9:21 AM, Pete Mellor said:

Bart Kamp's book 'Prayer Man More Than A Fuzzy Picture' is now available on Kindle for just short of eight squid on Amazon U.K.

Amazon's review:-

The publication of Prayer Man: More Than a Fuzzy Picture represents an unprecedented decade-long investigation of Lee Harvey Oswald’s last 48 hours.

Bart Kamp has produced a comprehensive work which delves into Lee Harvey Oswald and the other Texas School Book Depository employees inside the building during and shortly after President Kennedy was assassinated on November 22nd 1963.

Kamp’s detailed research also examines the period of Oswald’s incarceration and interrogations. It presents an entirely new and deep perspective of how the law enforcement agencies gathered their evidence that weekend. It reveals a dramatic new context in relation to understanding Lee Harvey Oswald's innocence.

Within these pages are many new and never before published revelations that contrast the altered accounts that were represented before the Warren Commission and challenges many commonly accepted assumptions and interpretations.
Prayer Man: More Than a Fuzzy Picture is Kamp’s debut on the JFK Assassination.

In his podcast appearances, Bart has made reference to essays he has written. For example, if I interpreted it correctly, he talks about one essay being 400 pages long that deals with the 48 hours immediately after the JFK assassination and goes into detail of Oswalds interviews while in DPD custody. I can't find a link to this book-length essay or to any of his other book-length essays on his prayer-man.com website. I only see regular post-length essays on his website.

Can you provide a link to his book-length essays?

4 hours ago, Roger Odisio said:

I wonder if you could recount your take on Hosty's note which referred to Oswald as saying he "went outside to watch p parade"  after eating lunch. Seems straight forward.  Even Australians could understand it.  It's a crucial piece of evidence.  Am I missing something?

Does Bart reproduce Hosty's note?  When was Hosty's note written?  When was it made public?  I need to catch up here.

I'm trying to recall: I think the debate was related to architectural terms.

Have you posted the most current iteration of an image(s) of Prayer Man on EF recently?  If so, can you point me to the thread?  Ralph Cinque has posted photos on Facebook in the past few days.

12 hours ago, Gerry Down said:

In his podcast appearances, Bart has made reference to essays he has written. For example, if I interpreted it correctly, he talks about one essay being 400 pages long that deals with the 48 hours immediately after the JFK assassination and goes into detail of Oswalds interviews while in DPD custody. I can't find a link to this book-length essay or to any of his other book-length essays on his prayer-man.com website. I only see regular post-length essays on his website.

Gerry, Bart's publication is more than a fuzzy picture, to quote the title.  Suggest you buy the book as the papers are transformed into the book, as his essays are not available any more on the website.  Under £8, cheap at half the price!  

8 hours ago, Leslie Sharp said:

Does Bart reproduce Hosty's note?  When was Hosty's note written?  When was it made public?  I need to catch up here.

I'm trying to recall: I think the debate was related to architectural terms.

Have you posted the most current iteration of an image(s) of Prayer Man on EF recently?  If so, can you point me to the thread?  Ralph Cinque has posted photos on Facebook in the past few days.

Yes, Bart has a link to Hosty's notes. Written during the interrogation (one) & directly after (two).  Hosty passed his notes to the ARRB in '97.  The book also links to the Fritz notes that were also donated to the ARRB in '97.

Negative.  I'm not one to post photographic images on E.F. or anywhere.  I'm just a book reader Leslie. 📚

The version of a still showing Prayer Man at a comparatively good quality without extensive motion blur which plagues other Darrnell film frames is the one posted on jfkassassinationgallery.com:

normal_20130908-003704.jpg

Or this one having a bit higher resolution than the one above (also from jfkassassiantiongallery.com):

Darnell_Large_gif_snapshot_004.jpg

And there is a cropped version of the same still showing some more details. I am not sure about the provenance of this picture as my archive does not contain any meta-data about this picture.

doorway_buttons.jpg?resize=438,438

Or this:

darnellandlarrryandstanton90.jpg?resize=

I usually start my analyses from the still exported directly from Darnell/Couch film:

20130908-003704_1_2_1_1_1.jpg?resize=438

I hope this helps.

Edited by Andrej Stancak

6 hours ago, Pete Mellor said:

Yes, Bart has a link to Hosty's notes. Written during the interrogation (one) & directly after (two).  Hosty passed his notes to the ARRB in '97.  The book also links to the Fritz notes that were also donated to the ARRB in '97.

Negative.  I'm not one to post photographic images on E.F. or anywhere.  I'm just a book reader Leslie. 📚

To add to what Pete said.  The claim was Oswald's interrogation was not recorded. There were not even any stenographer tapes like exist for others.  All those present were supposed to destroy any notes they might have taken.  Oswald was supposed to have no voice in his defense.  He was soon to be dead.

Hosty didn't destroy his notes.  When JFK the movie rekindled interest in the JFKA,  Hosty decided to write a book about his experience.  I haven't read it but I'm pretty sure that Oswald's alibi he noted does not appear in it.

Hosty then donated his papers to the ARRB, as Pete said, and they were placed in the JFKA Collection at NARA.  Along came Malcolm Blunt to scoop up his material and place it in his voluminous files.  

A few years ago Bart Kamp decided it's time to go through Malcolm's files because so much information is in there.  He finds Hosty's notes.

4 hours ago, Roger Odisio said:

To add to what Pete said.  The claim was Oswald's interrogation was not recorded. There were not even any stenographer tapes like exist for others.  All those present were supposed to destroy any notes they might have taken.  Oswald was supposed to have no voice in his defense.  He was soon to be dead.

Hosty didn't destroy his notes.  When JFK the movie rekindled interest in the JFKA,  Hosty decided to write a book about his experience.  I haven't read it but I'm pretty sure that Oswald's alibi he noted does not appear in it.

Hosty then donated his papers to the ARRB, as Pete said, and they were placed in the JFKA Collection at NARA.  Along came Malcolm Blunt to scoop up his material and place it in his voluminous files.  

A few years ago Bart Kamp decided it's time to go through Malcolm's files because so much information is in there.  He finds Hosty's notes.

Thank you for that trajectory.  The popular meme is that "Hosty tore up his notes because he was ordered to."  This sets the record straight, presumably.  As a matter of interest distinct from PM, did Hosty keep notes from his visit at the Paine's house in early November? I'll search, but if you know off the top of your head . . . 

11 hours ago, Pete Mellor said:

Thanks Pete.

5 hours ago, Roger Odisio said:

Roger, has Bart cleared up the discrepancy that on at least one occasion Hosty is filmed stating Oswald told him he was in the lunch room?

I wish people would stop claiming the Hosty "notes" in question were written during his interview with Oswald. There is no reason to believe they were, outside desperation. He published his actual notes in his book. Those were sentence fragments--the way one takes actual notes. The fuller sentences of the notes in question suggest they were written as an outline for a report. Now, it's always been curious that Bookhout wrote a report by himself, and then one with Hosty. Perhaps this was done to cover up that Hosty's own report suggested Oswald had given an alibi, or some such thing. So the "notes" found later may indeed be important.

But there's no reason to believe they were written during the interview. 

Edited by Pat Speer

3 hours ago, Leslie Sharp said:

Thank you for that trajectory.  The popular meme is that "Hosty tore up his notes because he was ordered to."  This sets the record straight, presumably.  As a matter of interest distinct from PM, did Hosty keep notes from his visit at the Paine's house in early November? I'll search, but if you know off the top of your head . . . 

I believe you’re confusing what Hosty did with his interrogation notes with what he did to the note Oswald left at the FBI office, in which he asked Hosty to stop interviewing Marina when he wasn’t home. Hosty’s boss Gordon Shanklin ordered him to destroy the latter, which Hosty then did.

1 minute ago, Jonathan Cohen said:

I believe you’re confusing what Hosty did with his interrogation notes with what he did to the note Oswald left at the FBI office, in which he asked Hosty to stop interviewing Marina when he wasn’t home. Hosty’s boss Gordon Shanklin ordered him to destroy the latter, which Hosty then did.

I think you're right.  Thanks.

What about notes from the Paine house?

16 hours ago, Andrej Stancak said:

The version of a still showing Prayer Man at a comparatively good quality without extensive motion blur which plagues other Darrnell film frames is the one posted on jfkassassinationgallery.com:

normal_20130908-003704.jpg

Or this one having a bit higher resolution than the one above (also from jfkassassiantiongallery.com):

Darnell_Large_gif_snapshot_004.jpg

And there is a cropped version of the same still showing some more details. I am not sure about the provenance of this picture as my archive does not contain any meta-data about this picture.

doorway_buttons.jpg?resize=438,438

Or this:

darnellandlarrryandstanton90.jpg?resize=

I usually start my analyses from the still exported directly from Darnell/Couch film:

20130908-003704_1_2_1_1_1.jpg?resize=438

I hope this helps.

That Prayer Man guy looks to be about 5 foot tall if he is not on a lower stair.

On 8/5/2023 at 8:27 PM, Gerry Down said:

I previously downloaded Bart's final version of the Anatomy of LHO Interrogations. It is 308 pages so I expect this is the essay that you are referring to. I can't upload it etc as it's 49MB. However I'd recommend buying his book as the essay is very thorough and well constructed, the book is as cheap as chips and should have benefitted from a professional review/edit before it was published.

Importantly there is a very good chance that Bart added to his essay from materials that he uncovered when he was digitising Malcolm's archives.