The Education Forum

Allegation that Kennedy was behind Marilyn Monroe's death.

For me, even the possibility of Kennedy involvement in Marilyn Monroe's death is one of the few areas of disenchantment I ever felt with them and to a stomach wrenching degree.

I want to think they would never engage in something so heinously vile and wrong.

Just for off-the-wall, but consider the source sake, I recently viewed this video interview of former N.Y. Mafia hit man Sammy "The Bull " Gravano by Patrick Bet-David.

At the 2 hour 14 minute mark Bet-David asks Gravano what he knew or knows about the JFK assassination.

Gravano first says he doesn't know. He then states that he was taken to Quantico, Virginia where big shot FBI or some other agency people asked him about the JFK assassination and mob involvement.

Gravano says he told them it wasn't his guys up on the grassy knoll. Gravano then says he told these questioners ... "it was your people", whereupon Gravano then says at that statement the agents threw up their hands and ended the meeting and walked out!

NY Mafia hit man Sammy Gravano was actually taken to Quantico to be asked JFK assassination questions? Really. Why?

Gravano then goes on to say that both JFK and his father were friendly with and worked with the mob! That Bobby Kennedy was the only Kennedy who would not work with them and was trying to confront them.

Don't waste time with most of the interview. This guy Gravano still defends his murder of 19 others as simply loyalty to the oaths of Le Costra Nostra.

So, skip right to the 2 hour:14 minute mark to hear Gravano's Kennedy statements.

hqdefault.jpg?sqp=-oaymwEZCNACELwBSFXyq4

mqdefault_6s.webp?du=3000&sqp=CIK-vu0F&rs=AOn4CLAE9gL7Msq9xCYwJdts-UHHwytMJw
Salvatore "Sammy The Bull" Gravano breaks silence after 20 years in this exclusive sit down with Patrick Bet-David. Subscribe ...

Edited by Joe Bauer

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sammy Garavano and Miro Speriglio?  Why not the nutty Jeane Carmen who says ROseill shot Marilyn?

Part 1 of my essay

In the Collier-Horowitz book, the authors allude to the pamphlet that started the industry. Describing Bobby's 1964 campaign for a Senate seat in New York, they write:

Meanwhile, right-wingers were circulating a pamphlet entitled "The Strange Death of Marilyn Monroe," charging that Bobby had been having an affair with the film actress and, when she threatened to expose some of his dealings in appeasing the Castro regime, had her killed by Communist agents under his control. (p. 409)

The authors fail to note the man who penned this work. His name was Frank Capell. Capell is usually described as an extreme right-winger associated with the John Birch Society. This is apt, but incomplete. As Jim Garrison once noted, the more one scratches at these Minutemen types, the more their intelligence connections appear.

Swallowing Frank Capell

Capell had worked for the government in World War II, but was convicted on charges of eliciting kickbacks from contractors for the war effort. After the war, in the Red Scare era, Capell began publishing a Red baiting newsletter, The Herald of Freedom. He was highly active in attempting to expose leftists in the entertainment industry. It was this experience that put him in a good position to pen his McCarthyite, murderous smear of Bobby Kennedy.

But there is another element that needs to be noted about Capell: his ties to the FBI. As Lisa Pease noted in her watershed article on Thomas Dodd (Probe Vol. 3#6), Capell was one of the sources tapped by the Bureau in the wake of the assassination in order to find out who Oswald really was. His information proved remarkably penetrating, considering it came in February of 1964. Capell said Oswald was a CIA agent. Even more interesting, Capell stated in his FBI interview that this information came from "a friend of his...with sources close to the presidential commission" i. e., the Warren Commission. To have this kind of acute information and to have access to people around the Commission (which was sealed off at the time) strongly indicates Capell was tied into the intelligence community, which of course, is probably why the Bureau was consulting him in the first place.

This is revelatory of not just the past, i.e. the origins of this myth, but of the present, i.e. why it persists. For as Donald Spoto reveals in his book Marilyn Monroe, one of the people who relentlessly pushed Capell's fabricated smear was fellow FBI asset, Hoover crony, and Hollywood Red baiter Walter Winchell (Spoto p. 601). (For a full discussion of former ONI operative Winchell's service in Hoover's employ see Neal Gabler's Winchell.) As William Sullivan has noted, the dissemination of Capell's invention was encouraged by Hoover. Sullivan called Bobby a near-Puritan and then added:

The stories about Bobby Kennedy and Marilyn Monroe were just stories. The original story was invented by a so-called journalist, a right-wing zealot who had a history of spinning wild yarns. It spread like wildfire, of course, and J. Edgar Hoover was right there, gleefully fanning the flames. (The Bureau p. 56)

The Capell/Winchell/Hoover triangle sowed the seeds of this slander. But the exposure of this triangle does more. In the Vanity Fair article in which Judith Exner dumped out the latest installment of her continuing saga, Liz Smith revealed that she apprenticed at the feet of Walter Winchell in New York (January 1997 p. 32). This may explain why she took up her mentor's cudgel.

Capell's work is, as Spoto notes in his Afterword, a frightful piece of reactionary paranoia. But there are two details in his pat anti-Kennedy tract that merit mention. First, Capell is probably the first to propagate the idea that RFK was indirectly responsible for his brother's murder. He does this by saying (p. 52), that commie sympathizer Bobby called off the investigation of the shooting of General Edwin Walker in April of 1963, thus allowing that crazed Communist Oswald to escape and later kill JFK. This piece of rant has been modified later to fit into the stilted mosaics of people like Davis and Waldron. What makes it so fascinating is that, through the FBI's own files, we now have evidence that Capell was deliberately creating a fiction: he had information that Oswald was not a communist, but a CIA agent.

The second point worth examining about Capell's screed is the part where he begins laying out the "conspiracy" to kill Marilyn, specifically, RFK's motive for murder. Capell writes:

But what if she were helped along into the next world by someone who would either benefit financially or who feared she might disclose something he wished to conceal. Suppose, for example, a married man were involved, that he had promised to marry her but was not sincere. Suppose she had threatened to expose their relationship (p. 28)

Part 2:

This is as specific as Capell gets in outlining his reason for the "conspiracy." I wondered where he got the idea of Monroe's "going public" about an affair. As many writers have pointed out, this would have been quite out of character for her. Something that Jim Marrs recently sent me may help explain it. He sent me the full text of a memo that he references in his current book, Alien Agenda. The memo supposedly reports on information gleaned from an FBI wiretap of Dorothy Kilgallen's phone. The document went from the FBI to the CIA, where it was signed by James Angleton. In it, a man named Howard Rothberg is quoted as saying that Monroe had conversations with the Kennedy brothers on top secret matters like the examination of captured outer space creatures, bases inside of Cuba, and of President Kennedy's plans to kill Castro. He also said that she was talking about a "diary of secrets" (quotes in original) that she had threatened RFK with if he brushed her off. When I got this memo, I was struck by its singular format. I have seen hundreds of CIA documents, maybe thousands, and I never saw one that looked like this. (We can't reproduce it because the copy sent to us is so poor). I forwarded it to Washington researcher Peter Vea. He agreed it was highly unusual. To play it safe, I then sent a copy to former intelligence analyst John Newman. He said that he had seen such reports. What he thought was wrong with it was that there were things in it that should have been redacted that weren't and things exposed that should have been blacked out. For instance, there is a phrase as follows, "a secret air base for the purpose of inspecting [things] from outer space." Newman notes that the brackets around the word "things" denote that it had been previously redacted. It should not have. The words "outer space" should have been redacted and they never were. On the basis of this and other inconsistencies, he decided it was a "good" forgery from someone who knew what they were doing. He told PBS this four years ago when they showed it to him. The fact that this document purportedly revealing sensitive information was exposed in 1993 when he saw it, before the JFK Act when into effect, justifies even more suspicion about its origin and intent.

Spoto's book adds more to the suspicion about the document, and perhaps the information in Capell's pamphlet. Spoto notes that on August 3, 1962, the day the above memo was distributed, Kilgallen printed an item in her column saying that Marilyn was "vastly alluring to a handsome gentleman who is a bigger name than Joe DiMaggio" (p. 600). Spoto notes the source for Kilgallen's story as Howard Rothberg, the man named in the memo. This is interesting for more than one reason. First, Spoto writes that Rothberg was "a New York interior designer with no connection at all to Marilyn or her circle." (Ibid.) This means that he was likely getting his "information" through a third, unnamed source. Second, Rothberg's name, and this is part of the sensitive information referred to above, is exposed in the document. This is extraordinary. Anyone who has jousted with the FBI or CIA knows how difficult it is to get "sources and methods" revealed. In fact this is one of the big battles the ARRB had to fight with the FBI. Yet in this document, both the method and the source are open. Third, to my knowledge, Kilgallen never printed anything specific from the document. Why? Assuming for a moment that the document is real, probably because she could not confirm anything in it. But interestingly, right after Kilgallen printed her vague allusion, Winchell began his steady drumbeat of rumors until, as Spoto notes, he essentially printed Capell's whole tale (p. 601). From this, one could conclude that the Angleton memo could be viewed in two ways. Either it was, as in Newman believes, a "good" fake, or a false lead planted to begin an orchestrated campaign. More specifically, Rothberg was either a witting or unwitting conduit to the media for either Hoover or Angleton (or both). The quick Winchell follow-up would argue for Hoover. The Director would want someone else to lead the story before his man Winchell pushed it to the limit. The "diary of secrets," so reminiscent of Mary Meyer (discussed in Part One of this article) would suggest Angleton.

Capell was drawn up on charges in 1965. The charges were rather fatal to the tale told in his RFK pamphlet: conspiracy to commit libel. One would have thought this discreditation was enough to impale the tale. And it probably would have been had it not been for Norman Mailer. In 1973, Mailer published a book, Marilyn, (really a photo essay) with the assistance of longtime FBI asset on the Kennedy assassination Larry Schiller. He recirculated the tale again, inserting a new twist. He added the possibility that the FBI and/or the CIA might have been involved in the murder in order to blackmail Bobby ( p. 242). In 1973, pre-Rupert Murdoch, the media had some standards. Mailer was excoriated for his baseless ruminations. In private, he admitted he did what he did to help pay off a tax debt. He also made a similar confession in public. When Mike Wallace asked him on 60 Minutes (7/13/73) why he had to trash Bobby Kennedy, Mailer replied "I needed money very badly."

Edited by James DiEugenio

Part 3

Swallowing Slatzer

The worst thing about Mailer's money-grubbing antics was that it gave an alley to run through to a man who had actually been at work before Mailer's book was published. In 1972, Robert Slatzer approached a writer named Will Fowler. Slatzer had been at work on an article which posited a conspiracy to murder Monroe. Fowler read it and was unimpressed. He told Slatzer that had he been married to Monroe, now that would make a real story. Shortly after, Slatzer got in contact with Fowler again. He said he forgot to tell him, but he had been married to Monroe. The "marriage" was a short one: 72 hours. It happened in Mexico on October 4, 1952. Unfortunately for Slatzer, Spoto found out that Monroe was in Beverly Hills that day on a shopping spree and she signed a check dated October 4th to pay for the articles she purchased (Spoto p. 227). Since Slatzer says that the pair left for Mexico on October 3rd and stayed for the following weekend, this demolishes his story.

But despite his fabrications, in 1974 Slatzer turned his article into a book entitled The Life and Curious Death of Marilyn Monroe. It went through at least three printings, including a mass paperback sale. Besides his "marriage" and his "continuing friendship" with Monroe, the other distinguishing aspect of the book is its similarity to Capell's work. The first line is: "Bobby Kennedy promised to marry me. What do you think of that?" Slatzer, as if reading the Hoover/Angleton memo, saw her "diary." One of the things in it is a mention of "Murder, Incorporated." When Slatzer asks his "ex-wife" what that meant, Marilyn replies on cue: "I didn't quite understand what Bobby was saying. But I remember him telling me that he was powerful enough to have people taken care of it they got in his way." Another entry is about the Bay of Pigs. Slatzer says that Marilyn told him that Jack let Bobby handle "the whole thing" because JFK's back was sore that day etc. etc. etc. The whole book is a continuation and refinement of the Capell hoax.

But Slatzer got away with it. Today he still appears on talk shows and videos (e.g. Marilyn, the Last Word ) as Marilyn's former spouse. In 1991, he actually sold his story to the ever gullible ABC. They made a film of his tall tale: Marilyn and Me.

Slatzer's book set a precedent in this field. Later, volumes by the likes of Milo Speriglio (whom Slatzer hired as an investigator), Anthony Scaduto, and James Haspiel, took their lead from Slatzer. They all follow the above outlined formula: the Kennedys were a rotten crowd (Collier and Horowitz); they were involved in political assassinations (John Davis); and both were having affairs with Monroe (Slatzer).

Tony, How Could You?

In the Monroe/Kennedys industry, 1985 was a pivotal year. Anthony Summers dove into the quagmire–head first. He published his Marilyn biography, Goddess.

In it, he reveals (shockingly) that he bought into Slatzer. Slatzer is profusely mentioned in both the index and his footnotes. So are people like Haspiel and Jeane Carmen. Carmen is another late-surfacing intimate of Monroe. Carmen professes to have been Monroe's roomie when she lived on Doheny Drive, before she bought her famous home in Brentwood. She began circulating her story after Slatzer did his bit. Of course, Marilyn's neighbors at Doheny, and her other friends, don't recall her (Spoto p. 472). But Summers welcomes her because she provides sexy details about Marilyn's torrid romance with Bobby. A third peg in Summers' edifice is Ralph de Toledano. Summers describes him as a "Kennedy critic" in the paperback version of his book (p. 453). This is like saying that Richard Helms once did some work for the CIA. De Toledano was a former OSS officer who Bill Donovan got rid of because he was too much of a rabid anticommunist. After the war, he hooked up with professional Red baiter Isaac Don Levine of the publication Plain Talk. Levine was another spooky journalist whom Allen Dulles, while he was on the Warren Commission, considered using to write incriminating articles about Oswald (Peter Scott, Deep Politics and the Death of JFK p. 55). Later on, de Toledano found a home at former CIA officer and E. Howard Hunt pal Bill Buckley's National Review. If one were to translate the Summers trio of Slatzer, Carmen, and de Toledano to the JFK case, one could say that he wedded Ricky White to Beverly Oliver and then brought in a journalist like, say Hugh Aynesworth, to cinch his case. And the things Summers leaves out are as important as what he puts in. For instance, he omits the facts that her psychiatrist did not know the drugs that her internist was prescribing; the weird nature and background of her house servant Eunice Murray; and her pending reconciliation with Joe DiMaggio which, of course, makes her "torrid romance" with Bobby even more incredible. The reconciliation makes less credible Summers' portrait of an extremely neurotic Monroe, which he needs in order to float the possibility that she was going to "broadcast" her relationship with the Kennedys.

Summers' book attracted the attention of Geraldo Rivera at ABC's 20/20. Rivera and his cohort Sylvia Chase bought into Goddess about as willingly as Summers bought Slatzer. They began filing a segment for the news magazine. But as the segment began to go through the editors, objections and reservations were expressed. Finally, Roone Arledge, head of the division at the time, vetoed it by saying it was, "A sleazy piece of journalism" and "gossip-column stuff" (Summers p. 422). Liz Smith, queen of those gossip-columnists, pilloried ABC for censoring the "truth about 1962." Rivera either quit or was shoved out by ABC over the controversy. Arledge was accused by Chase of "protecting the Kennedys" (he was a distant relative through marriage). Rivera showed his true colors by going on to produce syndicated specials on Satanism and Al Capone's vaults (which were empty). He is now famous for bringing tabloidism to television. Arledge won the battle. Rivera and Liz Smith won the war. Until 1993.

The Truth About Marilyn

In 1993, Donald Spoto wrote his bio of Monroe. After reading the likes of Haspiel, Slatzer and Summers, picking up Spoto is like going back into one's home after it has been fumigated. Spoto is a very experienced biographer who is not shy about controversy. His biographies of Alfred Hitchcock and Laurence Olivier reveal sides of their personalities that they, and other writers, tried to conceal. Spoto is also quite thorough in obtaining and then pouring over primary sources. Finally, he respects himself and his subject, which allows him to question sources before arriving at a judgment on someone's credibility. This last quality allowed him to arrive at what is the most satisfactory conclusion about the death of Monroe (Spoto pp. 566-593). The Kennedys had nothing to do with it. I have no great interest or admiration for Monroe as an actress or a personality. But I do appreciate good research, fine writing, and a clear dedication to truth. If any reader is interested in the real facts of her life, this is the book to read.

Part 4: Sy Hersh meets Lex Cusack

As everyone knows by now, the whole Monroe angle blew up in Hersh's face. When Hersh had to reluctantly admit on ABC that he had been had, he did it on the same spot where Rivers, Summers, and Sylvia Chase had played martyrs for the tabloid cause, namely 20/20. On September 25th, Peter Jennings narrated the opening segment of that program. With what we know in November, Jennings approach reveals much by what was left out. Hersh appeared only briefly on the segment. He was on screen less than 10% of the time. The main focus was on the forensic debunking of the documents (which we now know was underplayed by ABC.) Jennings cornered Lex Cusack, the man who "found" the papers in the files of his late father who was an attorney. From published accounts, the documents were supposedly signed by five people: JFK, RFK, Monroe, Janet DesRosiers (Joe Kennedy's assistant) and Aaron Frosch (Monroe's lawyer). They outline a settlement agreement between JFK and Monroe signed at the Carlyle Hotel in New York on March 3, 1960. The documents set up a $600,000 trust to be paid by contributions from the individual Kennedy family members to Monroe's mother, Gladys Baker. In return for this, Monroe agrees to keep quiet about her relationship with JFK and any underworld personalities she observed in Kennedy's presence. The latter is specified as being Sam Giancana. Kennedy had a lawyer out of his usual orbit, Larry Cusack of New York, do the preparation.

Just from the above, one could see there were certain problems with the story. First, its details could have been culled from reading the pulp fiction in the Monroe field: the idea that JFK had a long, ongoing affair with Monroe; that she had threatened to go public with it; that the Kennedys were in league with Giancana; that the family would put up money to save JFK's career etc. All this could have been rendered from reading, say two books: Slatzer's and Thomas Reeves'. Even the touch about the Carlyle Hotel–Kennedy's New York apartment–is in the Reeves book. In other words, it is all too stale and pat, with none of the twists or turns that happen in real life. Secondly, are we to truly believe that the Kennedys would put their name to a document so that a woman blackmailing them would have even more power to blackmail them in the future? Or was that to lead into why the Kennedys had her killed?

Hersh has leapt so enthusiastically into the "trash Kennedy" abyss that these questions never seem to have bothered him. Anson depicts him as waving the documents over his head at a restaurant and shouting, "The Kennedys were...the worst people!" Lex Cusack showed them to Hersh a few at a time, wetting his appetite for more at each instance. Hersh then used the documents to get Little, Brown to give him $250,000 more and to sell ABC on a documentary.

Jennings said on the 20/20 segment that the flaw in the documents was in the typing part of them and not the actually penmanship. As subsequent facts have shown, this is not actually true. Linda Hart, one of the handwriting analysts hired by ABC (who was slighted on the program) later said that there were indications of "pen drops" in John Kennedy's signature, i.e. someone stopped writing and then started up again, a sure indication of tracing. Also, when I talked to Greg Schreiner, president of a Monroe fan club in Los Angeles, he told me that the moment he saw Monroe's signature, he knew it was not hers. Interestingly, he had met with Hersh this summer. Hersh had told him about the documents and Greg asked to see them. Hersh refused.

Another interesting aspect of the exposure of Hersh's "bombshell" was aired in the New York Times on September 27th. In this story, Bill Carter disclosed that there were doubts expressed about the documents by NBC to Hersh many months ago. Warren Littlefield, an NBC executive, said that Hersh had tried to peddle a documentary to them based on the documents. After NBC sent their experts to look at them in the summer of 1996, he told Hersh that in their opinion the documents were questionable. He said that NBC's lawyers were more specific with Hersh's lawyers. This was backed up by David Samuels' article in The New Yorker of 11/3/97. So Hersh's denials on this point, mentioned by Carter, ring hollow.

What makes the hollowness more palpable is one of the typing inconsistencies in the documents. On the Jennings segment, former FBI expert Jerry Richards showed one of the most blatant errors in the concoction. The typist had made a misspelling and had gone back to erase it. But the erasure was done with a lift-off ribbon which was not available in 1960 and was not sold until the seventies. This erasure is so clear it even shows up in photos in the Samuels article. Hersh has been a reporter since the early sixties. For at least two decades (before computers came in), he made his living with a typewriter. Yet, in all the hours he spent looking at these papers, this anachronism never jumped out at him?

That Hersh could be such an easy mark, that he was so eager to buy into the Summers-Haspiel-Slatzer concoction tells us a lot about what to expect from his book. As Anson notes, Hersh has been talking not only to CIA officials, but also to Secret Service people and, especially to Judith Exner. The reasons for the CIA to lie about the Castro plots have already been explained. At the beginning of part one of this piece, I mentioned that many in the Secret Service hated Kennedy, realized they were culpable in a security breakdown, and, like Elmer Moore, worked hard to cover up the true circumstances of Kennedy's murder. About Exner's motives, I can only speculate. Will Hersh have her now say that she saw Marilyn with Kennedy and Giancana in Hyannis Port on a sail boat eating pizza? From Anson's description of panting-dog Hersh, delivering Exner to him was a little like giving Geraldo copy of Goddess.

8 hours ago, Ron Bulman said:

I just skipped it period after reading a bit.

Ron, of course anything from this guy is mostly unworthy of reading.

However, he was involved with the highest rungs of New York City organized crime for many years and in this capacity knew some things about Mafia dealings with other famous persons in that higher strata world including Donald Trump.

In the 1997 nationally televised interview with Diane Sawyer Gravano mentions Trump and how even Trump couldn't get a hotel built in NYC without going through Gravano's organization, which suggest Trump doing so because he did build during Gravano's construction control tenure.

Trump once stated in a later Dave Letterman talk show appearance that he did encounter Mafia figures in his business dealings and that "some of them are very nice people." !!!

I do believe Gravano's recollection of being interviewed in Quantico by FBI agents and their asking him about the JFK assassination.

What's intriguing to me about this story is why the FBI would still be asking questions about the JFK assassination 40 years after it's occurrence and with someone like Gravano.

Edited by Joe Bauer

From the internet:

1. The CIA did it.

It was the ‘60s. Political tensions were at an extreme. One theory posits that Monroe’s death was ordered by the CIA to get revenge on the Kennedys for the failed Bay of Pigs Invasion of Cuba. But why Monroe? As Matthew Smith notes in his 2003 book, Victim: The Secret Tapes of Marilyn Monroe, based on tapes the actress made with her psychiatrist weeks before her death, the CIA likely knew about Monroe’s affair with Robert Kennedy and saw her death as a blow to the Kennedy family. In 2015, the theory picked up again for a hot second after a retired CIA officer reportedly admitted on his deathbed that he had killed Monroe. It turned out to be a hoax, courtesy of a fake news website.

2. Robert F. Kennedy did it.

One of the first conspiracy theories to emerge after Monroe’s death was that Robert F. Kennedy had her killed in fear that she would expose their rumored affair and put his political career and image in danger. This was first suggested by Frank A. Capell in The Strange Death of Marilyn Monroe in 1962. Capell, who never received serious backing for his theory, also went on to accuse Monroe, her doctors, and ex-husband, playwright Arthur Miller of being communists. (Capell was an anti-communist activist.) In 1973, Norman Mailer lit more fuel to this claim in his biography of Monroe, before admitting he did not have any hard evidence and that he only made the allegations for book sales. Two years later, rock journalist (and later, crime expert) Anthony Scaduto, who like his predecessors used few to no sources to make his claims, wrote an article detailing how Kennedy had Monroe killed for knowing too much political information and had kept record of it in a secret diary.

3. RFK did it but it was an accident.

In his 1985 book, Goddess: The Secret Lives of Marilyn Monroe, Anthony Summers, tabloid journalist (keyword is “tabloid” here) claimed that RFK and his brother-in-law Peter Lawford encouraged Monroe’s drug and alcohol use after she threatened to make her affair with RFK public. Monroe’s death, according to Summers, was an accidental overdose and she died on the way to the hospital, which led to RFK and Lawford staging the death as a suicide. Summers states in his book that then-FBI director J. Edgar Hoover helped with the cover-up. Summers’s theory, while not the strongest of the bunch, is supported by an interview he conducted in 1983 with Monroe’s housekeeper Eunice Murray. According to Summers, there was a moment Murray “said words to the effect of, ‘Oh, why do I have to keep on covering this up?’” When probed further, Murray allegedly said, “Well of course Bobby Kennedy was there, and of course there was an affair with Bobby Kennedy.’”

4. Her doctors did it but it was an accident.

In yet another book about Monroe, Donald Spoto suggested in 1993 that Monroe suffered an accidental overdose after lying to her doctors about her medication. With the help of a housekeeper, the doctors staged her death as a suicide, which Spoto claimed was unlikely since Monroe had signed a new movie deal with 20th Century Fox that year and reportedly had intentions to remarry Joe DiMaggio. Spoto sourced police reports and statements given by Monroe’s staff and her publicist, but his theory hasn’t picked up any traction in the years since.

5. Marilyn knew too much about UFOs and was murdered.

First, you have to be someone who believes that the U.S. government has long been hiding information about the existence of aliens. Second, you have to believe extraterrestrial conspiracy theorist Dr. Steven Greer’s claim that Monroe had access to information about aliens when she was having a rumored affair with President John F. Kennedy around the time of her death. Greer discusses this in great detail in the 2017 documentary Unacknowledged and suggests Monroe had plans to leak top-secret details about the Roswell crash of 1947, among other things. In an effort to stop the leak and her rumored affairs with both Kennedy brothers, the CIA ordered to have her killed, according to the doc.

6a. The mafia did it.

In 1982, private detective Milo Speriglio made the stunning accusation that Monroe had been murdered by labor union leader Jimmy Hoffa and Chicago mob boss Sam Giancana, so the Kennedy family would leave the mafia alone. Speriglio explained his findings in Marilyn Monroe: Murder Cover-Up, citing an individual who worked at the coroner’s office in L.A. and was later accused of stealing from dead bodies. Despite having a weak source, Speriglio’s book led to a reopening of the case. The Los Angeles district attorney found nothing new and Monroe’s cause of death remained on paper a probable suicide by barbiturate poison.

6b. The mafia did it based on orders from the Kennedys.

In 2012, biographer Darwin Porter suggested in the book Marilyn at Rainbow’s End that the actress was murdered by mob boss Sam Giancana, who received orders from one of the Kennedy brothers to silence the actress and anything she was going to say about her affair. Believe what you will, but Porter claims five Mafia hitmen entered Monroe’s home and administered a chloroform-soaked washcloth on her face, injected her with barbiturates, and moved her to her bedroom to make the scene look like a suicide.

7.  The Murder of Marilyn Monroe: Case Closed3.5 10 5 1  by Jay Margolis, Richard BuskinJay Margolis states  that Marilyn Monroe’s death on August 4, 1962 was not a suicide but a murder orchestrated by Bobby Kennedy to silence her as she was about to reveal all the dirty Kennedy family secrets she kept logged in a little red diary.

And Bobby did not act alone. He had co-conspirators in her murder - his brother-in-law, actor Peter Lawford, and Marilyn’s psychiatrist, Dr. Ralph Greenson who gave the star a fatal injection of pentobarbital to the heart.

I added number 7 since it is not mentioned in the first six.  How does one determine which is right or wrong in these competing ideas?  Well, one could go with their personal bias.  What’s my bias?  There needs to be an answer for Robert Kennedy saying he supported the Warren Commission’s conclusions up to the day he died.

I choose item 7 as the reason.  He was silenced by his activity in the death of Marilyn Monroe.  Who was the silencer?  Who called him within an hour of the president’s death.  J. Edgar Hoover.

Edited by John Butler

A sanitized copy of a newspaper article from the mass circulation Chicago Tribune?

And the article quotes Slatzer and Sciacca? Finally, Clemmons was in on the whole pastiche from the start, if you did not know.

Yeah, some interesting document which is not a document.

• 1 year later...
On 10/23/2019 at 9:02 AM, John Butler said:

An interesting document on the subject:

monroe-cia-pdf.jpg

Perhaps we've been.barking up the wrong tree...

Has anyone yet approached the topic of who could possibly have anything to gain by the death of Marilyn Monroe?

Edited by Pamela Brown

Mr. DiEugenio has killed and buried this canard. (French for duck, as well).

If we want to continue the character assassination, and tinfoil hat speculation, then Jackie, Joe Dimaggio, Arthur Miller, and all groups opposed to nude photos should be suspects. (And include Hoover because she looked better than he did in the sane evening gown).

May this topic sink to the bottom and remain there.

31 minutes ago, Joseph McBride said:

FYI, the tired old Hoover-as-crossdresser myth originated solely with

an unreliable source, the former wife of a mob

figure who was sent to prison.

Always wondered about that - thanks