The Education Forum

Maybe They Don't Do This Anymore, But Are There Any Recent Polls Regarding Warren Report Belief or Disbelief?

Joe Bauer

In 8 days it will be 56 years since the JFK event.

The majority of American citizens weren't even born when JFK was gunned down in Dallas on 11,22,1963.

The last two generations probably haven't thought enough to even care about the assassination and who may have been the guilty parties.

Still I am curious what these newer generations think about whether JFK's death was the result of a conspiracy or just the desperate for attention actions of a lone gunman who just got incredibly lucky with his place of employment providing him with a turkey shoot location to gain his glory.

You would "expect" most American's to not care about this debate enough to give it much serious thought and contemplation.  Some things that happen before you are born are ancient history to most.

Wonder if a poll will even be taken this year.

24 minutes ago, Ray Mitcham said:

Joe didn't ask any questions, let alone Inane ones.

This is one of the rare times I get to agree with Ray Mitcham.  Joe is not asking inane questions.  I would like to know that myself.

As far as time passing, who remembers the assassination of the Arch Duke Ferdinand?  That was something like 105 years ago.  The Kennedy assassination will age past the time we old timers will be around.  I would hope newer generations will continue to fight this fight and try to establish truth in the "big event" for many years longer than 56.

Curious about your response JP.

If you consider my current JFK event interest post inane...why even waste any of your time responding to it?

Edited by Joe Bauer

Joe, I don't recall seeing any recent polls on the subject lately but it seems like 2-3-4 years back I did see one that was still in the 60-70% range if I remember right.  I think all those years of doubt in the 70-80% + area influenced this generation.  Not in the way Mockingbird, the MSM and powers that be hoped for.  JFK's death has been called the end of innocence.  Trust in government took a big hit with the Warren Commission.  Most people wanted to believe it at the time but ultimately couldn't because it just doesn't make sense to rational people who look at it objectively even just a little bit.  Lone Nut?  2 of 3 shots did all that?  Back and to the Left.  Ruby doing O Wasn't a Hit?  Then Stone's JFK really opened some eye's when things should have continued to fade.  I think if you asked my kids they'd say well dad's pretty sure about a shot from the grassy knoll causing the back and to the left.  I know my daughter would because I've taken her behind the picket fence to look at the x's on the pavement.  Though I realize few in this generation get that experience I think the distrust in the official story has been passed down.  Unfortunately it has produced the cottage industry of "conspiracy theories" becoming a un factual "thing" that discredits the search for the truth via the likes of alex jones and the chump. 

Edited by Ron Bulman

15 hours ago, Jon Pickering said:

"Maybe They Don't Do This Anymore, But Are There Any Recent Polls Regarding Warren Report Belief or Disbelief?"

One of the indications of a question is a question mark. Funny that.

Joe didn't ask "questions"(plural). He asked one opening question. Funny that.

I was 12 when JFK was taken out.

And in the following 5 to 6 years after 11,22,1963 there was so much coverage of the assassination and those of MLK and RFK as well.

Their deaths overshadowed every other news story in the 60's outside of the moon landing and the Viet Nam war.

These assassinations really shook up our idealistic baby boomer generation in regards to trust of our own government and what they were aggressively promoting as the truth in the who and why areas of these society changing events no matter how improbable.

To have the 3 top and most dynamic, inspiring and influential progressive leaders in this country all taken out by assassin's bullets in just a 5 year time span (and which literally effectively deflated this movement by leaving it leaderless ) you'd have to be ignorant to not sense that these events were more than highly improbable coincidences where 3 raging hate filled nut cases on their own without outside help just happened to get lucky and successfully catch our most society important targets in their most unprotected time of vulnerability.

Talking about these society changing killings in even casual settings was not considered conspiracy obsessed wacky at that time. As well as sharing feelings of mistrust about our own government regards the suspiciously too coincidental close together killings of these 3 men who clearly had captured the trust and moral sentiments of a growing majority of Americans and who were all taken out by supposed single minded nutcases who just got lucky in defeating large security measures and efforts.

This mind set was bolstered by the nation wrenching Viet Nam war and Watergate which resulted in unprecedented mass demonstrations and the exposing of just about the entire Nixon White House staff as bald ass crooks and the jailing of 25!

Nixon's own VP ( Spiro Agnew ) was run off because of corruption and Nixon was just lucky to have avoided prison time himself.

What rational American with half a brain and at least a passing interest in government doings wouldn't have their trust shaken by these events?

But, new generation history innocence and ignorance is bliss in some ways. Why would us JFK time old fogies expect kids born after the late 60's and early 70's to bear the heavy weight of personal sadness, loss and mistrust that so many of us carried living through all that killing of our most beloved leaders and complete corruption of our executive branch under Nixon?

I couldn't even bring up these historical subjects of great society changing concern from the 60's to my own kids born in the eighties, who just roll their eyes in boring discomfort when I do.

Wondering about the consequences of forgotten history with younger generations has always been a repeating thought of mine from time to time. How does this natural tendency effect their lives and their children's lives and the society they are born into?

It's easy to see why the survivors of the Hitler holocaust and descendants of American slavery make sure there are major production films about these devastating events produced and widely distributed on an almost yearly basis.

It's obvious they are meant to imbue future generations with historical knowledge and lessons to keep them at least somewhat informed and aware of the real danger that such crimes against humanity could happen again without this warning knowledge.

The JFK, MLK and RFK assassinations ( and the truths about their implementations ) are truly as important events in this same vein.

However, their warning importance is lost more and more through natural generational detachment to our living witness concern.

This is one reason why I am still interested to know if polls still reflect at least a decently close awareness and sentiment to what so many of us JFK, MLK and RFK boomer generation felt when those trust shaking tragedies occurred right around us in real time.

Edited by Joe Bauer

The percentage of those who believe in the official story is slowing creeping up as those who lived through the event pass away. students are being taught the official explanation. LHO is increasingly not referred to as the "alleged" assassin but as the actual assassin. In the 2017 CAPA mock trial, it was the Millennials on the jury who were the least receptive to a conspiracy.  The mainstream media now frequently equates conspiracy theorists with fringe groups. So to answer your question, my prediction is that in 2063, a majority of americans will believe the official story. IMHO

I am in the midst of teaching two class sessions on

Kennedy and the assassination as part of my Film and

Society: Films on American History course at San Francisco State University. As before, I see my students being open-minded on the subject and willing

to listen to alternate versions, which is hopeful. My generation

that lived through the events was more inclined before 1963 to believe in

official versions, though we then experienced a series of rude

awakenings in the 1960s -- the assassinations, Vietnam, violence in the streets. Some of that conflict

between official and revisionist history continues

with older people. Younger people will listen but badly need education

they aren't usually getting in schools.

On 11/14/2019 at 11:02 AM, Joe Bauer said:

In 8 days it will be 56 years since the JFK event.

The majority of American citizens weren't even born when JFK was gunned down in Dallas on 11,22,1963.

The last two generations probably haven't thought enough to even care about the assassination and who may have been the guilty parties.

Still I am curious what these newer generations think about whether JFK's death was the result of a conspiracy or just the desperate for attention actions of a lone gunman who just got incredibly lucky with his place of employment providing him with a turkey shoot location to gain his glory.

You would "expect" most American's to not care about this debate enough to give it much serious thought and contemplation.  Some things that happen before you are born are ancient history to most.

Wonder if a poll will even be taken this year.

I'm afraid that most kids alive today think that JFK is just an airport near NYC. High school textbooks barely mention Kennedy, and shallowly at that. Wikipedia informs the intellectualy lazy that LHO was the lone assassin. The MSM will never stop lying about the case. And most people who harbor any memory of the Kennedy administration are more concerned about their medical bills than about who killed JFK. Time will continue to erode interest. 

Unfortunately the long game goes to the perpetrators of the murder. It's a tragedy.

61 percent: that is the figure I vividly remember from 2013, the 50th anniversary, because there were so many articles (and television news items) quoting it, as well as the fact that it was disappointingly low from the heyday of 1991 (the Stone film) up to/including the 40th anniversary (2003, when I was on The Men Who Killed Kennedy). Back during those halcyon days, there were regular television (albeit usually tabloid) programs on the assassination and whole JFK assassination shelves at bookstores.

Here is a typical 2013 article:

https://news.gallup.com/poll/165893/majority-believe-jfk-killed-conspiracy.aspx

WASHINGTON, D.C. -- As the 50th anniversary of President John F. Kennedy's assassination approaches, a clear majority of Americans (61%) still believe others besides Lee Harvey Oswald were involved. But this percentage is the lowest found in nearly 50 years.

--------------------

I have definitely noticed a "sea change" online. Back then, the comments were overwhelmingly pro conspiracy. Now, echoing the 61 percent/modest majority, while a slight larger percentage of online article comments (Yahoo, etc.) are of a pro conspiracy nature, since 2013, I have noticed a big increase in "get a life-Oswald did it alone" and similar comments, even mentioning Clint Hill's books, Bugliosi, and Posner. There is no way around this: time has not been a friend and the anti-conspiracy people have done damage.

In other words, there are a LOT more DVPs than there are Grodens today. It is what it is.

Postscript: I would even wager a bet to say that, if another "JFK" type pro-conspiracy movie came out today, the interest in it would not be nearly as large AND there would be a much larger percentage of citizen MOVIE GOERS (not just the media) who would poo-poo it outright, as opposed to what felt like 99.9 percent of the public back in the day that ate up "JFK". Witness also the naivete of those late 1980's/ early 1990's television audiences and their well-meaning but silly pro-conspiracy questions and beliefs. 

Like I said, there is not doubt that there is still  a pro-conspiracy majority...but it has shrunk due to time and the Bugliosi/Hill/Posner effect.

2 hours ago, Vince Palamara said:

But this percentage is the lowest found in nearly 50 years

I blame "le rational skeptic" culture. "Skeptic" in the context meaning "total trust in western government". People are so brainwashed into trusting western government, that anybody who questions it are labeled mentally unstable. There are even some sources claiming that "conspiracy theorists" (people who question western government) are statistically more likely to be mentally "unbalanced". Even if that were true, that isn't a testament to the credibility of western government, it's a testament to how successful their propaganda machine has been - in other words, neurodivergent people are more immune to the social pressure brought by this advertising campaign. Almost everybody in the world has a gullible line of reasoning for most of their opinions - most people can only argue their opinions as well as a creationist could argue against evolution. The "le rational skeptic" crowd just point to the "conspiracy theorists" because "conspiracy" has the connotation of paranoia.

Edited by Micah Mileto