The Education Forum

Bob Dylan song about JFK assassination

W. I can't remember what Dylan thread it was that you asked about. It wasn't Hale Boggs , it was John Mc Cloy who corrected Dulles about the LIncoln Assassination.Believe it or not!

Probably there are great lists of concerts that we kick ourselves for not attending. I was in high school, when a friend suggested we go down to the Monterey Pop Festival, which was about 100 miles away from where I grew up, on the night Hendrix played. 5 days before the date he got busted by his parents  for pot. So that put the damper on that.

I've seen rock documentaries where they made it seem like Hendrix was a complete unknown before Monterey. But I remember "Purple Haze " was out at the time.

Edited by Kirk Gallaway

• Replies 539
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 4/2/2020 at 5:49 PM, James DiEugenio said:

Here you go Jeanie:

https://www.amazon.com/-/es/Jeanie-S-Dean/dp/0615911161

168 pages of poems and its blurbed by Mike Parenti.

I checked Amazon for my book The Whole World Stopped  (kind of what is happening now), and a reseller offers the book for a hefty collector price.  My seller account is inactive.

If anyone would like my book below list price, message or email me and you can have it shipped for $17. Oh yes, Scarlett Hart (not me) is the first review.  And that  would make another left field reference to Dean's book in Dylan's lyric: "Frankly Miss Scarlet I don't give a damn."
There you have it support the arts,  try something new during this quarantine. 

41 minutes ago, Kirk Gallaway said:

W. I can't remember what Dylan thread it was that you asked about. It wasn't Hale Boggs , it was John Mc Cloy who corrected Dulles about the LIncoln Assassination.Believe it or not!

Probably there are great lists of concerts that we kick ourselves for not attending. I was in high school, when a friend suggested we go down to the Monterey Pop Festival, which was about 100 miles away from where I grew up, on the night Hendrix played. 5 days before the date he got busted by his parents  for pot. So that put the damper on that.

I've seen rock documentaries where they made it seem like Hendrix was a complete unknown before Monterey. But I remember "Purple Haze " was out at the time.

My two biggest concert blunders.

1)  When I was in high school, I passed on a chance to hear an obscure piano player from New York for $5 at Denver's small "Ebbet's Field" bar/club down on 15th and Curtis. I decided to play handball at the YMCA that night instead. The guy's name was Billy Joel.

2)  Passed on a chance to hear a cheap concert by a punk band from RISD at the Pembroke campus during my sophomore year at Brown.  (I was a folk musician and a Dead Head at the time.)  It was the Talking Heads.

On 4/4/2020 at 11:20 AM, Kirk Gallaway said:

I was 15 and living just 4 miles from the Monterey Fairgrounds when the Monterey Pop Festival took place there.

Edited by Joe Bauer

When Mark Jacobson (now a screenwriter, author, and journalist) and I heard by radio at the University of Wisconsin,

Madison, Memorial Union that Otis Redding had died in a plane crash, we went to the nightclub

where he was supposed to perform. People were lined up to get in; they didn't know what had

happened, so we told them. I also remember vividly "The Day the Music Died," which I heard

about by watching AMERICAN BANDSTAND.

10 minutes ago, Joseph McBride said:

When Mark Jacobson (now a screenwriter, author, and journalist) and I heard by radio at the University of Wisconsin,

Madison, Memorial Union that Otis Redding had died in a plane crash, we went to the nightclub

where he was supposed to perform. People were lined up to get in; they didn't know what had

happened, so we told them.

c9383c637bc0586e9f523380fd59d9c4.jpg.462141c593a8177804f6552f857c4b76.jpg

16 hours ago, Kirk Gallaway said:

Probably there are great lists of concerts that we kick ourselves for not attending.

I attended an Elvis concert right after he made it big (it was '56 or '57) at the Florida Theater in Jacksonville. The mayor of the city announced beforehand that he was going to sit on the front row and have Elvis arrested if he wiggled too much on stage. Elvis took the threat seriously. He didn't wiggle at all, he just stood around and sang like he was bored to death. As for the music itself, you couldn't even hear it because of women screaming.

So I can't kick myself for not attending. I and everyone else wanted to kick the mayor for attending.

Otis Redding just gripped my emotions.

The most soulful male singer I have ever heard in my life.

I had heard Bobby "Blue" Bland, John Lee Hooker and so many others as my older brothers played their records constantly starting when I was in elementary school.

However, the first time I ever heard Redding sing was on the radio. Again, via radio station "KDIA" out of Oakland.

And the first song of Redding's I heard was "Try A Little Tenderness."

OMG!   

Talk about instant emotion gripping and thought provoking soulfulness!

It was almost like a life changing church sermon experience. Even a morality one.

It made me feel for girls in a more sympathetic and caring way that I had never even contemplated before.

Their softer nature. Their need for tenderness. Especially when they were going through heavy burdens to bear.

I needed to hear that message. To feel a deeper and more understanding love for them.

I listened to that song over and over and over. I would sing along to it.

Edited by Joe Bauer

I'm friends with Abraham Bolden on Facebook and felt compelled to ask him what he thought of Dylan's song.  

I got a great response:

image.png.8d239f1b3ee5cd886b4edbb069f39b18.png

Just curious what James DiEugenio and Vince Palamara think of Bolden's story and if you've ever spoken with him.  He seems to be the only reliable third-party witness still alive who saw the machinations of the conspirators up close before and after the assassination.  

image.png

Edited by Michaleen Kilroy
Duplicate image

One line that keeps coming back to me is "There's a party going on behind the Grassy Knoll".  I'll bet there was, not literally right there.  But all those behind those behind the fence and elsewhere where in Dealy Plaza were likely ecstatic.  They had gotten away and JFK was dead.  Those who dreamed it up, planed, organized, directed and controlled it.  I'd bet many of them had a drink or two or a drink too many that afternoon or evening.  I've read of school children cheering at the news in conservative areas where JFK was hated, E.G, Mississippi, Alabama.  Of Santos Trafficante celebrating with his lawyer so ecstatically the lawyer's date left in disgust.  I have to wonder if Dulles, Bissell and Cabbell as well as the Rockefeller's and others didn't join the celebration.

Then the party started all over again two days later when Ruby shot Oswald.