The Education Forum

The inevitable end result of our last 56 years

30 minutes ago, W. Niederhut said:

Rob,

With your rapier-like political wit, you might appreciate this one.

Q.  Why did the chicken cross the road?

A.  To pose for a photo op at St. John's Episcopal Church.  🤪

Did you get that off of a popsicle stick?

• Replies 18.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Benjamin Cole

• Douglas Caddy

• W. Niederhut

• Steve Thomas

1 hour ago, Ty Carpenter said:

Did you get that off of a popsicle stick?

Of course not, Ty.  I'm a very mature adult who hasn't eaten a popsicle in years!

I saw this riddle today on my bubble gum wrapper.

7 hours ago, W. Niederhut said:

Rob,

With your rapier-like political wit, you might appreciate this one.

Q.  Why did the chicken cross the road?

A.  To pose for a photo op at St. John's Episcopal Church.  🤪

Ha.  The photo op does seem like full retard to me.  Flash bangs heard at the press conference before used with tear gas to clear the area followed with police and military.  He didn't carry the bible to it.  Only held it like a prop.  Didn't quote it by heart or read from it.  Maybe he was afraid for his life if he stuck around and rushed back to the bunker under the whitehouse.

16 minutes ago, David Andrews said:

It's no wonder people are venting.  It's like having Nixon back, and Vietnam.

It's worse.  I still had the optimism of youth in spite of things then. 

1 hour ago, Ron Bulman said:

He didn't carry the bible to it.  Only held it like a prop.  Didn't quote it by heart or read from it.

I think he found a Bible that someone had lost, and he held it up to see if anyone wanted to claim it. (He would have asked whoever claimed it to quote something from it to prove it was theirs.)

12 hours ago, David Andrews said:

It's no wonder people are venting.  It's like having Nixon back, and Vietnam.

From the Paul Krugman column: The Trump-Nixon comparisons are obvious. Like Nixon, Trump has exploited white backlash for political gain. Like Nixon, Trump evidently believes that laws apply only to the little people.

Nixon, however, doesn’t seem to have been a coward. Amid mass demonstrations, he didn’t cower in the MAGAbunker, venturing out only after his minions had gassed peaceful protesters and driven them out of Lafayette Park. Instead, he went out to talk to protesters at the Lincoln Memorial. His behavior was a bit weird, but it wasn’t craven.

And while his political strategy was cynical and ruthless, Nixon was a smart, hard-working man who took the job of being president seriously.
    His policy legacy was surprisingly positive — in particular, he did more than any other president, before or since, to protect the environment. Before Watergate took him down he was working on a plan to expand health insurance coverage that in many ways anticipated Obamacare.

Trump, by contrast, appears to spend his days tweeting and watching Fox News. His administration’s only major policy achievement so far has been the 2017 tax cut, which was supposed to lead to surging business investment, but didn’t. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/04/opinion/trump-nixon.html

And he kept his promise to the Black community: they're no worse off than under recent past administrations.

I will give Nixon credit for being able to patch together shreds of honorability on occasion, if only for public show.  Trump only affirms that modern life is filth.  He's leaving the place as he expected to find it.

We're getting the full heedlessness that we caught a glimpse of early in the administration, when Trump made a salacious speech to a group of Boy Scouts.  Even Frank Sinatra knew how to talk to a crowd of kids and parents without embarrassing himself, much less the country.

Edited by David Andrews

Its a myth s wallowed by many liberals to make Nixon palatable about how great he was on the environment.

That was LBJ as part of the Great Society https://www.nps.gov/lyjo/planyourvisit/upload/environmentcs2.pdf

His healthcare plan was pretty much a combination of Obama care and Clinton's HMO's

https://www.commonwealthfund.org/blog/2017/lessons-universal-coverage-unexpected-advocate-richard-nixon

Nixon had an enemies list. Trump doesn't, at least not in writing, it would be entirely too long. Trump just deals with them daily (there's a new enemy every day) in tweets, on a first-come, first-served basis, or perhaps I should say on a first you-asked-for-it basis.

19 Facts about American policing that will blow your mind.

https://consortiumnews.com/2020/06/01/lee-camp-19-facts-about-american-policing-that-will-blow-your-mind/?fbclid=IwAR2_xDL0mvAXY5SHLxApdmbYFmi6QtASu4IzQWmDcyvzgT4vx-NPBjIHNME

[In reading this I was reminded of a classmate at NYU Law school who told me his uncle had just retired as a NYPD police officer who had never once fired his revolver while serving for 25 years.]

We've lost a star in the Guide Michelin of worldwide unrest:

The US has been downgraded from a “medium risk” to a “high risk” country in a civil unrest index by the global risk analysis company Verik Maplecroft.

As nationwide protests continue over the police killing of George Floyd in Minneapolis, the firm finds that the “marginalisation of racial and religious minorities” is the single biggest driver of the unrest “because of the profound impact on the living standards of entire communities.” The conditions mean that direct acts of violence to express discontent “appeal to a broad range of community members.”

The unrest is expected to grow -- it has a 64.9% chance of getting worse by early next year, the analysis said. The report said the US government has “failed to eradicate the impunity with which the police act or address the lack of accountability for its actions.”

“For instance, Officer Derek Chauvin, charged with the murder of Floyd, had 18 prior complaints made against him.” The company had identified Minnesota as the highest-risk state in the US even before Floyd’s killing, by assessing the risk of violations by police and military.

This is only the second time the US has dropped into the “high risk” category. The first was when Trump was elected and took office in 2017. “The ongoing protests reveal the high degree of political polarisation, particularly around social issues like race and gender discrimination, and structural socio-economic inequalities that have become evident once more under the Trump administration,” the report said.

The US now ranks 78th among highest=risk nations, having fallen 13 places since the last quarterly report. “Eroding freedom of speech and judicial independence” could stoke more protests that hamper social distancing and slow the recovery from the Covid-19 pandemic, the company said.

Military deployments will worsen the public perception that the government is seeking to restrict freedom of expression. Covid cases are already expected to continue to rise in central and southern states in the coming weeks, where some of the most intense protests are happening, according to Verisk Maplecroft’s sister company AIR.

The findings follow a similar warning from the International Crisis Group, an international security thinktank based in Brussels.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/live/2020/jun/05/george-floyd-protests-donald-trump-hydroxychloroquine-live

Edited by David Andrews

10 hours ago, James DiEugenio said:

[Nixon's] healthcare plan was pretty much a combination of Obama care and Clinton's HMO's

https://www.commonwealthfund.org/blog/2017/lessons-universal-coverage-unexpected-advocate-richard-nixon

Which would have been a good thing. Because as much as you dislike Obamacare, Jim, it is a good thing for low-income people. (Of which I am one.)

Had Nixon gotten his healthcare plan passed, it would have been revised so much by now that it would probably be a single-payer system. That is what will happen with Obamacare over time.

Don't let the non-passable perfect get in way of the good.