The Education Forum

The inevitable end result of our last 56 years

Huffingtom Post 05/25/2020

"President Donald Trump’s senior economic adviser, Kevin Hassett, presented a cold view of the U.S. economic system Sunday, referring to American workers as “human capital stock.”

In a Sunday interview on CNN, Hassett predicted that business would pick up again soon.

“Our human capital stock is ready to get back to work,” he said...",

That just about says it all, doesn't it?

Gives me warm and fuzzy feelings all over.

Steve Thomas

• Replies 18.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Benjamin Cole

• Douglas Caddy

• W. Niederhut

• Steve Thomas

Is Hassett the one with the perpetual smirk on his face?

On 5/23/2020 at 7:33 PM, Robert Wheeler said:

Thanks Doug, useful information your posting.

While your posting coronavirus articles fact checked by "Facebook" as "safe", did you ever hear of Hjalmar Schacht living in Houston during the '30s?

‘Doctor’ Larry Schacht of Jonestown was not related to Hjalmar. 

3 hours ago, Robert Wheeler said:

I thought maybe with your family's Standard Oil connections you might have heard a story or two.

My family never had any connection of any type with Standard Oil. I do not know where you came up with this.

7 minutes ago, Douglas Caddy said:

My family never had any connection of any type with Standard Oil. I do not know where you came up with this.

I think Rob found it in the tanks... 🤥

I thought I was past the point of having heroes, but as a professional journalist since 1960, I have a new hero, Omar Jimenez of CNN, a journalist who kept his cool under duress and risked his life to keep broadcasting in a lucid, entirely professional, remarkably calm way while being arrested. I watched this shocking incident live. The media are there to represent us as witnesses. But as Brecht wrote, "Unhappy is the land that needs a hero."

1 hour ago, Joseph McBride said:

I thought I was past the point of having heroes, but as a professional journalist since 1960, I have a new hero, Omar Jimenez of CNN, a journalist who kept his cool under duress and risked his life to keep broadcasting in a lucid, entirely professional, remarkably calm way while being arrested. I watched this shocking incident live. The media are there to represent us as witnesses. But as Brecht wrote, "Unhappy is the land that needs a hero."

If I recall correctly, some journalist (s) was also arrested in a police dragnet shortly after Mike Brown was murdered in Ferguson, Missouri-- just before the Ferguson protests began to dominate the national mainstream media headlines.

William, did you agree with the governor to reopen Colorado?

25 minutes ago, James DiEugenio said:

William, did you agree with the governor to reopen Colorado?

I think it's premature, since our COVID numbers have not been consistently declining for two weeks.  (Most people under 50 are still not wearing masks in the park by my house.)

But there is a lot of pressure on Gov. Polis to re-open, and he's trying to appease the state's conservative Republican counties, in particular.  Several of them-- including populous Douglas and El Paso Counties -- were already granted early waivers.

Currently, Polis is being sued by the Castle Rock restaurant (in Douglas County) that opened on Mother's Day, for suspending their license.

He announced on Colorado Public Radio today that local travel bans to the mountains are being lifted and that, "Some communities in Colorado are welcoming visitors, while others are not.  Please respect their wishes, etc."  How vague is that one?  (I'm picturing hoards of hikers going wherever they want.)

Here in Denver, I played golf today for the first time since I broke my collar bone seven weeks ago, and the course was completely packed-- but not as crowded as my neighborhood park(!)  Everyone was wearing masks around the pro shop area and "social distancing" on the course.  Check-ins were handled strictly by cell phones (from the parking lot.)

I should probably do this on the plague journal page but I think they are premature also.  I worry that even if a new wave or surge doesn't happen (hopefully), that opening too much too early may prolong the containment of the virus in many areas.  Resulting in many more deaths.

Regarding Colorado.  I refuse to give up hope of seeing the mountains this summer, yet.  Even just a few days in the cooler mountain air in the midst of a sweltering summer can be so refreshing.  Heck I'd like to come right now, being cooped up sucks.  But I question traveling still and fear I may for a while to come and I don't think anyone want's me picking up the bug on the way and bringing it to them.  Even though the workers and merchants need the income.  

Before I ever heard of covid I planned this year to use Salida as a base.  Not in the mountains but at least on the river with them in view a few miles away.  From there a day trip over Monarch pass (skied there) and up to Crested Butte (1' scar on right knee from there) maybe through Tin Cup for the first time since 1964 or 65.  Another day in the Colligate peaks to a ghost town west of Buena Vista.  One more north then west over Independence pass to Aspen.  I once camped on the creek below Maroon Bells peaks.  Now access by bus only from 7 am to 6 pm.  I can still dream of a better future while sip.  There will still be snow on the north face of the fourteeners.  Some famous fellow once said, the mountains are calling.  I hear them.

collegiate-peaks-scenic-byway-map.jpg

Edited by Ron Bulman

5 minutes ago, Ron Bulman said:

I should probably do this on the plague journal page but I think they are premature also.  I worry that even if a new wave or surge doesn't happen (hopefully), that opening too much too early may prolong the containment of the virus in many areas.  Resulting in many more deaths.

Regarding Colorado.  I refuse to give up hope of seeing the mountains this summer, yet.  Even just a few days in the cooler mountain air in the midst of a sweltering summer can be so refreshing.  Heck I'd like to come right now, being cooped up sucks.  But I question traveling still and fear I may for a while to come and I don't think anyone want's me picking up the bug on the way and bringing it to them.  Even though the workers and merchants need the income.  

Before I ever heard of covid I planned this year to use Salida as a base.  Not in the mountains but at least on the river with them in view a few miles away.  From there a day trip over Monarch pass (skied there) and up to Crested Butte (1' scar on right knee from there) maybe through Tin Cup for the first time since 1964 or 65.  Another day in the Colligate peaks to a ghost town west of Buena Vista.  One more north then west over Independence pass to Aspen.  I once camped on the creek below Maroon Bells peaks.  Now access by bus only from 7 am to 6 pm.  I can still dream of a better future while sip.  There will still be snow on the north face of the fourteeners.  Some famous fellow once said, the mountains are calling.  I hear them.

Ron,

They are finally re-opening the new, improved Cottonwood Pass-- from Buena Vista to Taylor Park and Tincup-- this coming Monday, June 1st.

My sister's ex-husband has been supervising that CDOT project for the past three years.  It's a major shortcut over the Continental Divide, (compared to the long drive over Monarch Pass and up the Taylor River Canyon from Gunnison.)

On 5/29/2020 at 11:22 PM, W. Niederhut said:

Ron,

They are finally re-opening the new, improved Cottonwood Pass-- from Buena Vista to Taylor Park and Tincup-- this coming Monday, June 1st.

My sister's ex-husband has been supervising that CDOT project for the past three years.  It's a major shortcut over the Continental Divide, (compared to the long drive over Monarch Pass and up the Taylor River Canyon from Gunnison.)

And I should probably PM on this but since I'm here at the moment...  Does this mean you can go over Cottonwood Pass in a car?  That would be historical.  Since the train tunnel closed in the 1800's that's a long stretch of high country with no way through.  We stayed in Buena Vista one night 5-6 years ago.  The guy in the next room was a EMT from Boulder.  He'd taken his ATV to the pass that day to ride over into Taylor Park.  I apologized for being a tourist from Texas explaining that I lived there as a kid and fell in love with the place.  He said he was happy to share as long as people respected nature.