The Education Forum

The inevitable end result of our last 56 years

If Texas wants to do this, I say let them. Offer to pay to relocate anyone that doesn't want to stay. Then a referendum taken by both entities in 10 years if both sides want to consider joining again.

FWIW, a lot of what is broken in America could instantly be fixed by not having Texas' overwhelming sway on the rest of the country.

• Replies 18.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Benjamin Cole

• Douglas Caddy

• W. Niederhut

• Steve Thomas

7 hours ago, Paul Brancato said:

We are talking about the Attorney General not a political party. Garland should weigh the evidence and make a legal decision rather than a political one. 
I would also point out that when a political party becomes beholden to a wanna be autocrat who is willing to call to arms his supporters, that putting a stop to it is necessary. Think Berlin, and open your eyes a bit to the danger that Trump represents. I don’t even watch ‘news’. It doesn’t take much observation to see Trump as dangerous. Forget political corruption, forget Deep State. The last thing any of us living here want is a Trump led revolution, and that is what the Republican Party is now signing on to. And it doesn’t even matter if it’s DeSantis Trump or anyone other R in the White House in 2024, it’s infinitely worse than the current occupant for so many reasons. Partisanship? Of course I’m partisan. I’m clear eyed as to what the Democratic Party isn’t or is, and likewise the Republicans. It is the latter that is hell bent on reversing any social progress we have made, in undoing the vestiges of the New Deal, of any notion of women’s reproductive rights, any value in public education, any environmental regulation, and many other things. 

Paul-

I agree with you that the GOP position on abortion is troublesome. On the other hand, there are also millions of sincere and earnest people, often religious, who believe abortion is crime against humanity. I have never been comfortable with the topic. 

Maybe I have been offshore too long, but Trump's efforts to overturn the election struck me as harebrained, doomed, fitful, uncoordinated, idiotic, and stillborn. The 1/6 scrum was unrelated to Trump's impotent machinations, but if it was part of the Trump plan, he is even more idiotic than anyone imagined. 

The Donks-M$M are playing 1/6 up big for political reasons. The Impeach-a-rama games all over again (BTW, the 'Phants invented Impeach-a-rama against Bill Clinton). 

I have no problem is describing Trump as unfit for office. Perhaps he belongs behind bars, and I will leave that up to a court system. 

From my point of view, things in the US are in a terrible state.

You have polarization and stratification as the norm, due in large part to the neo-con and neo-liberal policies that define the establishment parties. Globalization and open borders has Detroitified America. 

Name the party not on the globalization team, or that says, "Time to bring all the troops home worldwide." 

The M$M magnifies constantly all tangential and polarizing issues, such as abortion, ID politics, transexual rights, gun rights, CRT, etc. 

So the red-blue kool-aid pissing contests go on and on. 

Merrick Garland is a Donk apparatchik, who will do what is right for the Donk Party. 

The Donks need to be re-born, as a party that represents the middle class, and want to reverse the Detroitification of America. They need to eschew ID politics entirely, back-burner gun rights, give up PC prudery, and talk about keeping labor markets tight and taxes on wages absent (below, say, $75,000 a year). The Donks need to embrace a border wall, and tariffs on China, and other export-subsidizing nations. 

Instead, they front-burner every divisive issue they can, while selling middle America down the river. The 'Phants too. 

The 1970s were ugly too, so maybe America will make it through this passage. Looks ugly now. 

You might want to try Thailand. You can live on a pension here. 

Trump's self created righteous crusader image and personal credibility is crumbling more and more with each nationally televised January 6th committee hearing.

Today's hearing was devastating for Trump and his last remaining loyal to the end sycophants - Guiliani, Eastman, Meadows, Kevin McCarthy, Peter Navarro, et al.

I predict that soon enough, even these last Captain Bligh/Queeg defending dolts will finally jump off the MAGA BOUNTY to fend for themselves in the socially ostracizing world ahead of them.

And Trump himself will continue to bark his crazy loser avoiding delusion until his last days to anyone who will listen...even if this is just a small group of addled crazies that hang out in crowded subway stations.

21 minutes ago, Joe Bauer said:

Trump's self created righteous crusader image and personal credibility is crumbling more and more with each nationally televised January 6th committee hearing.

Today's hearing was devastating for Trump and his last remaining loyal to the end sycophants - Guiliani, Eastman, Meadows, Kevin McCarthy, Peter Navarro, et al.

I predict that soon enough, even these last Captain Bligh/Queeg defending dolts will finally jump off the MAGA BOUNTY to fend for themselves in the socially ostracizing world ahead of them.

And Trump himself will continue to bark his crazy loser avoiding delusion until his last days to anyone who will listen...even if this is just a small group of addled crazies that hang out in crowded subway stations.

I thought Arizona's Republican House Speaker Rusty Bower's testimony about Trump and Giuliani's false elector scam was especially damning. 

(Raffensperger's expose of the Trump/Giuliani scam in Georgia was already well documented by 60 Minutes.)

Adam Schiff's closing statement belongs in the history books.

The case against Trump can't be stated more precisely and eloquently.

Unfortunately, the people who really need to hear it aren't listening.

Edited by W. Niederhut

1 hour ago, Joe Bauer said:

Because of Trump's mental illness- he suffers from incredibly severe malignant narcissism- this is quite true. There will never, ever, be a moment where he publicly admits this was all a lie, a con, a scam etc.

Typical headlines from M$M. Divisive headlines regarding divisive politics...about nothing. 

"Michigan's Gretchen Whitmer refers to women as 'menstruating people,' GOP gov hopefuls respond"

"Amazon loses two Black executives, including one on leadership team"

Trump knows indictments are coming and hopes he can mount a legal defense by saying he never thought he actually lost, despite mountains of testimony that he was repeatedly told he lost and that there was no fraud.

However willful blindness is not accepted by the courts as a valid defense.

1 hour ago, Matt Allison said:

Trump knows indictments are coming and hopes he can mount a legal defense by saying he never thought he actually lost, despite mountains of testimony that he was repeatedly told he lost and that there was no fraud.

However willful blindness is not accepted by the courts as a valid defense.

My Gad...crazy sounding as ever!

On 6/20/2022 at 6:19 PM, Benjamin Cole said:

... if you prosecute Trump, two things are likely to  happen:

A. You could lose, elevating Trump. 

B. You could win, martyrizing Trump.  [Sandy: And triggering riots among Trump supporters.]

Perhaps...

To prevent A, Attorney General Garland should prosecute Trump only if a conviction is near certain.

To prevent B, President Biden should pardon Trump on the condition that he not run again for office. And that he direct his supporters to remain peaceful.

Edited by Sandy Larsen

1 minute ago, Sandy Larsen said:

Perhaps...

To prevent A, Attorney General Garland should prosecute Trump only if a conviction is near certain.

To prevent B, President Biden should pardon Trump on the condition that he not run for office again. And that he direct his supporters to remain peaceful.

Sandy-

Well, that is a plan. 

On the other hand, Trump is stupid in many regards, but cunning.

Trump might figure going to prison "on his principles" would gain him the martyr status he wants. 

Merrick Garland has to be sure to convict, and that Trump gets a long, long sentence, so that Trump caves, and admits guilt in exchange for a conditional pardon. The condition being no more public office. 

What a snarl. Trump has the worst judgement in lawyers I have seen in a public figure.

But even with Trump's mediocre lawyers, an investigation and prosecution could drag out for years, running into the 2024 election, and again martyrizing Trump, who will be portrayed as the victim of prosecutorial zeal and excess (as appears to have been true in the Russiagate hoax). 

Garland has an awful mess in front of him, with only bad options. 

Adding fuel to the fires: The 'Phants look likely to win control of the Congress come November. They may play the Impeach-a-rama games too. 

BTW, 

"New Footage of 'QAnon Shaman' Surfaces Out of Jan 6. Hearing"

https://www.newsweek.com/new-footage-qanon-shaman-surfaces-out-jan-6-hearing-1717825

Yeah, new footage of Mr. Buffalo Horns. The Donks can't get enough of Mr. Buffalo Horns. This is important.