The Education Forum

What Really Happened Between Marilyn Monroe and JFK?

Lawford is especially good in Ernst Lubitsch's

last completed film, CLUNY BROWN, in which

he plays a British upper-class twit who is

concerned about the rise of fascism in

Europe in the 1930s but thinks the solution

is to write a sharp letter to the Times.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lawford played a sailor in the 1943 film "Sherlock Holmes Faces Death."

And the same in the 1943 MGM film "Girl Crazy."

Lawford's life's story is kind of like some of the roles he has played.

A suave but financially desperate rogue who may have come from money at some point...and is always on the lookout to find that rich heiress to marry?

Edited by Joe Bauer

2 hours ago, Joe Bauer said:

Lawford played a sailor in the 1943 film "Sherlock Holmes Faces Death."

Yes, indeed, he did. And that's one of my favorite Basil Rathbone/Nigel Bruce Sherlock entries. A lot of fun. [DVP Review.]

http://DVP's Classic Movies Website/2011/09/Sherlock Holmes Faces Death

Here's a screen capture of Peter Lawford in the Sherlock film. He's only 19 years old here:

Sherlock-Holmes-Faces-Death-5.png

Edited by David Von Pein

David A:

I gave you more credit than that.

1. Rupert Allan was not really representing MM at the time of her death. Grace Kelly wanted him to devote nearly all his time to her.  So, the guy who ran the PR company, Arthur Jacobs, allowed that arrangement.   Rupert spent a large part of the year in Monaco, and when he was in LA he had a desk at the Monaco consulate.

2. Jacobs decided to have the MM account shared between Patricia Newcomb, and Mike Selsman.  Newcomb was a kind of live in rep/buddy to MM.  For example, on the day she passed on, Newcomb was arguing with Larry Schiller about MM posing in Playboy: she did not like it, Schiller did. Selsman handled the calls that came in to the office on her account. Neither Mike nor Newcomb have ever said anything like what Allan said to Joe.

3. Peter Lawford has become the kind of man in the middle. He was married to a Kennedy and he and his wife were pals with MM. Contrary to the BS, Lawford was not at her home that day.  And he regretted it the rest of his life. He always thought when she did not want to come to his home for dinner, that he should have gone over there to see if she was alright.  He was literally haunted by this memory.

4.  Contrary to the Allan story, the people at Lawford's  house were George Durgom, and Delores and Joseph Naar. The last was an agent turned producer. Durgom was an agent and manager. Does not sound like a gang of call girls to me. 

5.  Let us have Lawford speak in his own words.  Not through the likes of Heymann, Spada, or his ex wives, one of whom he was married to for all of two months.  In his last interview with Randy Taraborrelli, he told him the same thing he told the LAPD, that all this stuff about MM and the Kennedys--through Slatzer and Mailer etc- is a pile of crap.  

Peter was correct.

Edited by James DiEugenio

Doug:

I really hope you mean that many people want to think the worst of certain celebrities will do so no matter what the facts are.  In this case, MM, Lawford, and RFK. Everything I noted above is based on the adduced record.

Edited by James DiEugenio

As soon as we see a "blame-the-victim" scenario, we need to ask if there is a cover-up of some sort going on...

Jim, Lawford has a notoriously sleazy rep in Hollywood memory, and it worsened after MM as his film career declined.  To have a notoriously sleazy rep for that long in Hollywood is really saying something.  Didn't he wrangle girls for the senator when he went west?

I've seen as many Lawford films as anybody here, down to his co-starring role with Lassie.  He always seems to have deserved more acclaim, but been denied the vehicle to achieve it.  His favor-currying and personal dissoluteness seem like two sides of compensating for his career.

Forget what Lawford says.    Let’s hear what the victim had to say in her own words.   
One note reveals that Monroe might have distrusted and even feared J.F.K.’s brother-in-law, Lawford, who was the last person to speak to her on the phone before she was found dead. In a handsome, green, engraved Italian diary, probably dating to around 1956, Monroe writes of the “feeling of violence I’ve had lately about being afraid of Peter he might harm me, poison me, etc. why—strange look in his eyes—strange behavior.” Monroe writes that she feels “uneasy at different times with him,” and that she believes him to be “homosexual.” She writes that she loves, respects, and admires “Jack”—most likely the dancer and choreographer Jack Cole—“who I feel feels I have talent and wouldn’t be jealous of me because I wouldn’t really want to be me.” Of Lawford, she concludes, “Peter wants to be a woman—and would like to be me—I think.”

https://themarilynmonroecollection.com/marilyns-secret-diaries-in-vanity-fair/

23 minutes ago, Cory Santos said:

Forget what Lawford says.    Let’s hear what the victim had to say in her own words.   
One note reveals that Monroe might have distrusted and even feared J.F.K.’s brother-in-law, Lawford, who was the last person to speak to her on the phone before she was found dead. In a handsome, green, engraved Italian diary, probably dating to around 1956, Monroe writes of the “feeling of violence I’ve had lately about being afraid of Peter he might harm me, poison me, etc. why—strange look in his eyes—strange behavior.” Monroe writes that she feels “uneasy at different times with him,” and that she believes him to be “homosexual.” She writes that she loves, respects, and admires “Jack”—most likely the dancer and choreographer Jack Cole—“who I feel feels I have talent and wouldn’t be jealous of me because I wouldn’t really want to be me.” Of Lawford, she concludes, “Peter wants to be a woman—and would like to be me—I think.”

Vanity Fair, with no sources cited of course.  Admissible evidence counselor? 

1 hour ago, Ron Bulman said:

Vanity Fair, with no sources cited of course.  Admissible evidence counselor? 

Umm Ron, the quote was taken from a note she wrote.   The article is clear on that.   So yes, a persons diary or personal writings are admissible in a court of law under the right circumstances.  

Strange you would bring that up though    A great deal of evidence against LHO or, evidence cited by conspiracists to show 11-22-63 was a conspiracy would likewise not be admissible in a court of law.

Try reading this and note all the people  who had things to say.  You don’t really believe they are all lying do you?
https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2022/03/marilyn-monroes-final-hours/amp

Edited by Cory Santos

Urbane British aristocracy roots Lawford hanging with Hoboken, New Joizy born "dem broads" lingo Sinatra?

That buddy friendship always seemed incongruously miscast to me.

Edited by Joe Bauer

8 hours ago, Cory Santos said:

This, I would say, stretches to delusion on MM's part.  However, people often pile delusive attributes on others they distrust, and Lawford may have displayed a ruthless side toward women.