• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Benjamin Cole

• Douglas Caddy

• W. Niederhut

• Steve Thomas

1 hour ago, David Andrews said:

I'm sorry, but the only conclusion to the long debate over stimulus aid and the White House refusal to provide emergency aid to the states after September can be that Congress and the Executive want to force people off unemployment assistance and create chaos in America:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/markets/millions-could-face-unemployment-aid-delays-even-after-covid-19-relief-package/ar-BB1c5S9j?li=BBnbfcL

David,

Is "corporatocracy" a word?   It seems like everything Mitch McConnell has ever done during his tenure in the Senate has been done for the primary benefit of the Koch brothers, often at the expense of the public good.  The man is utterly corrupt, and, obviously, contemptuous of the working poor-- which is strange, considering that many of his own constituents are among the most impoverished people in the country.

McConnell and his GOP cronies seem like Social Darwinists from the Gilded Age.  They probably think that working class Americans on the brink of homelessness won't work if they get a stimulus check!

1 hour ago, Richard Price said:

Straight talk people had better start heeding.  YouTube - Keith Olberman - again.

OLBERMANN VS. TRUMP #41: REP. MO BROOKS CONFIRMS: COUP PLOTTERS MET AT WHITE HOUSE WITH TRUMP, PENCE

Your link doesn't work Richard.

1 hour ago, W. Niederhut said:

David,

Is "corporatocracy" a word?   It seems like everything Mitch McConnell has ever done during his tenure in the Senate has been done for the primary benefit of the Koch brothers, often at the expense of the public good.  The man is utterly corrupt, and, obviously, contemptuous of the working poor-- which is strange, considering that many of his own constituents are among the most impoverished people in the country.

McConnell and his GOP cronies seem like Social Darwinists from the Gilded Age.  They probably think that working class Americans on the brink of homelessness won't work if they get a stimulus check!

Yes, but there could have been a Democratic compromise or another Executive Order in October or November.  Why wasn't there?

1 hour ago, David Andrews said:

Yes, but there could have been a Democratic compromise or another Executive Order in October or November.  Why wasn't there?

The Pelosi-McConnell stare down ended in a draw.  

The Democrats took the worst of it politically when Pelosi didn’t take a smaller deal pre-election.

Yeah, Cliff. the figures were so numbing I could be wrong. But wasn't Pelosi asking for 3+ trillion originally but when the rubber hit the road,  it got down to, I believe Pelosi and the Dems were at 2.1 trillion and Mnuchin and the Repubs were at 1.9 trillion? Pelosi obviously overplayed her hand thinking there would be a massive Dem sweep. But if that happened, she could have settled for that in October and do another package in February! But people needed the money then!

It still could have been killed by Mac Connell, but at least the ball would have been in Mac Connell's court. But  with Mac Connell's willingness to come up with something now, it looks like he would have blinked in October and negotiated something then.

Now she's settled for a 900 billion dollar package. Her only hope of not having peaked out would be for the Dems to win both Georgia races.

3 hours ago, Richard Price said:

Straight talk people had better start heeding.  YouTube - Keith Olberman - again.

OLBERMANN VS. TRUMP #41: REP. MO BROOKS CONFIRMS: COUP PLOTTERS MET AT WHITE HOUSE WITH TRUMP, PENCE

I found it on YouTube easily enough. I couldn’t agree more. Mr. Nice guy ain’t gonna work. Btw I’m sick of pundits repeating the mantra that the Dems will control the Senate if they win both Georgia Senatorial runoffs. It just ain’t true. They could control the Senate in that case, but they won’t hold together on anything remotely progressive. 
I think David is right, if I’m understanding his point, when he points out the lack of political will, despite the rhetoric, of Democrats in the House. The compromise deal isn’t anywhere near enough, and waiting until after the election was cynical, and reveals some deep lack of concern for the working class. I know from personal experience that Nancy Pelosi is elitist, and that goes for many of her colleagues too. I’ve met John Kerry twice, and can paint him with the same elitist brush. 

Edited by Paul Brancato

my take is...That's true Paul, But despite what people say they want in polls, people don't vote in their interests.. The election was a repudiation of the left and progressivism.

Then there's this thinking after the  2016 Hilary Bernie debacle  that that the DNC is all powerful. But the truth is, the posts in the  DNC change all the time. I would have preferred Keith Ellison , but I don't think it mattered. The DNC  had preferences, but were willing to accept whoever the winner was. As all the parties do, if it's Barry Goldwater or George Mc Govern or Donald Trump. People had been thinking for 4 long years if they were ready for a Bernie Presidency, and then on Super Tuesday they finally decided "no".  Abandoned by his own region, the North East, weak on minority support. Though perfectly serviceable out West.

1 hour ago, Paul Brancato said:

I think David is right, if I’m understanding his point, when he points out the lack of political will, despite the rhetoric, of Democrats in the House. The compromise deal isn’t anywhere near enough, and waiting until after the election was cynical, and reveals some deep lack of concern for the working class.

I think it's worse than lack of will.  My perception is that Congress and the current Executive chose to run out the clock on aid for October-November 2020, and for January 2021 as well.  The negotiations were a collusive staged farce.

Federal unemployment insurance funding by Executive Order ran out in September in most states.  Renewed benefits under the stimulus bill may not be available until mid-January.  In the meantime, many people - some of whom are in their 50s and 60s - will have to sink or swim in terms of taking economically unsuitable jobs to tide themselves over, or else default on debts, rent or mortgages, etc.

Federal and state money will be "saved" by forcing people into low-paying work, reducing the amount of dole or equalizing funding to accommodate new unemployment cases.  Long-term low paying work, however, will not be a solution for many people's financial obligations.

Edited by David Andrews

34 minutes ago, David Andrews said:

I think it's worse than lack of will.  My perception is that Congress and the current Executive chose to run out the clock on aid for October-November 2020, and for January 2021 as well.  The negotiations were a collusive staged farce.

Federal unemployment insurance funding by Executive Order ran out in September in most states.  Renewed benefits under the stimulus bill may not be available until mid-January.  In the meantime, many people - some of whom are in their 50s and 60s - will have to sink or swim in terms of taking economically unsuitable jobs to tide themselves over, or else default on debts, rent or mortgages, etc.

Federal and state money will be "saved" by forcing people into low-paying work, reducing the amount of dole or equalizing funding to accommodate new unemployment cases.  Long-term low paying work, however, will not be a solution for many people's financial obligations.

Pretty dystopian Dave, but I get where you're coming from and that could be coming.

And no matter how much that stimulus would be, it's not going to be near enough. There's been a lot of damage done.

But to bring it down to reality right now: 

Paul said:They could control the Senate in that case, but they won’t hold together on anything remotely progressive. 

That's right Paul, but the reality is if the Dems take both Georgia elections.There will be a big Covid relief and stimulus.  It's a paradox, but it will be  so big, Wall Street will be licking their chops over it. If they don't, there won't be. And there's no guarantee there will be anything!

8 hours ago, Paul Brancato said:

I found it on YouTube easily enough. I couldn’t agree more. Mr. Nice guy ain’t gonna work. Btw I’m sick of pundits repeating the mantra that the Dems will control the Senate if they win both Georgia Senatorial runoffs. It just ain’t true. They could control the Senate in that case, but they won’t hold together on anything remotely progressive. 
I think David is right, if I’m understanding his point, when he points out the lack of political will, despite the rhetoric, of Democrats in the House. The compromise deal isn’t anywhere near enough, and waiting until after the election was cynical, and reveals some deep lack of concern for the working class. I know from personal experience that Nancy Pelosi is elitist, and that goes for many of her colleagues too. I’ve met John Kerry twice, and can paint him with the same elitist brush. 

Mark Warner was dissing progressives on Fox last night.

This is just a rhetorical question.

Could Joe Biden take the Oath of Office of the Presidency on January 7, 2021?

Twentieth Amendment to the Constitution

Section 1. The terms of the President and Vice President shall end at noon on the 20th day of January, and the terms of Senators and Representatives at noon on the 3d day of January, of the years in which such terms would have ended if this article had not been ratified; and the terms of their successors shall then begin.

Article Two of the United States Constitution

Section 1

Clause 8: Oath or affirmation

Further information: Oath of office of the President of the United States

Oath of office of the president of the United States

The oath of office of the president of the United States is the oath or affirmation that the president of the United States takes after assuming the presidency but before exercising or carrying out any presidential powers or duties

Before he enters the Execution of his Office, he shall take the following Oath or Affirmation:—"I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my Ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States."

Could it be said that Biden has "assumed" the office as of January 6th when the Congress ratifies the votes of the Electoral College?

He could assume the Office, just not carry out any duties until noon on the 20th.

Steve Thomas

7 hours ago, Kirk Gallaway said:

That's right Paul, but the reality is if the Dems take both Georgia elections.There will be a big Covid relief and stimulus. 

Kirk,

Yeah, yeah, yeah. Covid, Covid, Covid...

In the 5,000+ pages of the Stimulus Relief Bill, here's what's really important:

Erik Wasson @elwasson

https://twitter.com/elwasson/status/1341112236329332736

“Bill decriminalizes unauthorized use of the Swiss Coat of Arms or Smokey the Bear.”

2:04 PM · Dec 21, 2020·Twitter Web App

Steve Thomas

7 hours ago, Kirk Gallaway said:

Pretty dystopian Dave

Well, Kirk, it wasn't exactly the Berlin Airlift, was it?  The Executive could have saved a lot of federal money by just extending the $300/week federal unemployment benefit from October through mid-January (or December 31, at least), and authorizing aid to continue state unemployment insurance until March.  Instead it was left to Congress to temporize over pork-barrel inclusions and legal protections of Covid-negligent corporations.  And over the size of the stimulus check that was thrown, like a sop, to working Americans as well as to the unemployed.