The Education Forum

The inevitable end result of our last 56 years

2 minutes ago, Bob Ness said:

He needs to win the election to get off scott free which is why he'll cheat as much as he can to do so.

Like LBJ had to become President to wipe away his personal corruption problems?

• Replies 18.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Benjamin Cole

• Douglas Caddy

• W. Niederhut

• Steve Thomas

Don't rule out a wag of the dog come October. Maybe he'll start a war with Iran. Of course one thing he could do to win is declare war on COVID-19. But that ship has sailed. "We're in a good place." "99% of the cases are harmless."

4 hours ago, Kirk Gallaway said:

But Bush knew he was never in any danger of that.

The DOJ issued an opinion that the President can't pardon himself just a few days prior to Nixon's resignation in 1974. But is that the final word on that?

Kirk,

https://abalegalfactcheck.com/articles/pardons.html

“A U.S. president has broad but not unlimited powers to pardon. For example, a president cannot pardon someone for a state crime. And constitutional experts are divided on whether a president can pardon him- or herself.”

“One unsettled legal question is whether a president can pardon himself. The Constitution says a president cannot pardon “in cases of impeachment.” Expert legal opinions on this question vary, and the U.S. Supreme Court has not weighed in on this issue.”

“The legal record is also clear that a president can pardon for a presumptive crime, like what then-President Gerald Ford did with his predecessor Richard Nixon on Sept. 8, 1974. In the aftermath of Watergate, Ford gave Nixon, who resigned from the presidency a month earlier, an “absolute pardon for all offenses against the United States which he, Richard Nixon, has committed or may have committed or taken part in during the period from Jan. 20, 1969 through Aug. 9, 1974.”

That takes care of his family

Steve Thomas

52 minutes ago, Ron Ecker said:

Don't rule out a wag of the dog come October. Maybe he'll start a war with Iran.

Ron,

No one will support an overt act on Trumps part,; but they might support a reaction to a staged incident, like when Hitler invaded Poland.

What I am most afraid of is that he will set off a nuclear bomb somewhere in an American city, and seize power until the "crisis" is over.

Steve Thomas

14 hours ago, W. Niederhut said:

Here's Friedman's account.  The sequence of events sounds sort of Banana Republican to me.

https://www.motherjones.com/politics/2020/07/michael-cohen-prison-gag-agreement-book-confinement/

Daily News article on the Cohen gagging.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/michael-cohen-rushed-back-to-upstate-n-y-prison-after-refusing-to-sign-trump-book-gag-order/ar-BB16AjnZ

Inspirational verse: “'These are unprecedented times,' the attorney added."  Last heard in 1933.

Edited by David Andrews

Thanks, Steve, You'd think they would  have nailed down if the President can pardon himself! Period! It should be unequivocally no!

I also agree with you the public's not going to buy an overt police action, particularly from this President, it would be like the Gulf of Tonkin or sinking of the Maine.

Edited by Kirk Gallaway

3 hours ago, Steve Thomas said:

What I am most afraid of is that he will set off a nuclear bomb somewhere in an American city, and seize power until the "crisis" is over.

He couldn't pull off something like that without some complicity within the military. And while such a conspiracy is theoretically possible, of course, I can't imagine anyone doing it for the sake of something like Donald Trump. But then I can't imagine anyone even voting (a second time) for something like Donald Trump. But what do I know? According to Wheeler, very little.

4 hours ago, Ron Ecker said:

He couldn't pull off something like that without some complicity within the military. And while such a conspiracy is theoretically possible, of course, I can't imagine anyone doing it for the sake of something like Donald Trump.

Ron,

Trump supporters are already talking about what they might do if he doesn't win — extremism experts are worried

by Andrew Feinberg

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/trump-lose-2020-election-supporters-maga-presidency-a9606081.html

"But even by the hardball standards of American presidential politics, Trump’s reelection bid stands out in history as the sole example of an incumbent president who is pushing his supporters to view a loss as the end of the republic, rather than the end of his political career."

- Anthony Scaramucci -

“There’s nothing unifying coming — it’s going to get darker and darker,” he added. “What he’s hoping to do is it will compel people to be fearful and vote for him because he will be the, quote-unquote, ‘protector’ in the cultural war that’s going on in this society.”

https://www.rawstory.com/2020/07/trumps-full-on-racism-will-go-way-uglier-as-election-nears-ex-white-house-official/

Go back and read his speeches of July 3rd and 4th.

If he could blame such an "incident" on a Black Lives Matter "terrorist", it will be all over but the shouting.

Steve Thomas

Edited by Steve Thomas

8 hours ago, Joe Bauer said:

Like LBJ had to become President to wipe away his personal corruption problems?

Worse. Trump has to become President to wipe away his entire scam riddled associates. EDNY Attorney swapped out to protect Jared, Broidy etc it looks like. It also looks like Barr has closed investigations and redacted that fact in the latest Mueller FOIA release. Sullivan is demanding to know what the basis of those redactions are since the cases appear to have been closed by... who else...? yep!! Janitor Barr!

38 minutes ago, Steve Thomas said:

Ron,

Trump supporters are already talking about what they might do if he doesn't win — extremism experts are worried

by Andrew Feinberg

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/trump-lose-2020-election-supporters-maga-presidency-a9606081.html

"But even by the hardball standards of American presidential politics, Trump’s reelection bid stands out in history as the sole example of an incumbent president who is pushing his supporters to view a loss as the end of the republic, rather than the end of his political career."

- Anthony Scaramucci -

“There’s nothing unifying coming — it’s going to get darker and darker,” he added. “What he’s hoping to do is it will compel people to be fearful and vote for him because he will be the, quote-unquote, ‘protector’ in the cultural war that’s going on in this society.”

https://www.rawstory.com/2020/07/trumps-full-on-racism-will-go-way-uglier-as-election-nears-ex-white-house-official/

Go back and read his speeches of July 3rd and 4th.

If he could blame such and "incident" on a Black Lives Matter "terrorist", it will be all over but the shouting.

Steve Thomas

I know there are extremists out there. I'm saying (or hoping) that there aren't any such extremists high enough in the military to set off an atomic explosion in an American city. I can see rednecks with fertilizer bombs blowing up buildings, but an atomic bomb?

That's true Steve, some covert Trump backers could blow up a swing state police station and say it's BLM!

I got to give Scaramucci credit. He did realize the error in his ways. Wish more of them would.

That is funny that they put the Black Lives Matter Mural directly in front of Trump Tower, and Trump's mad!

Search Results

Web results

2 days ago - A new political attack advert against Donald Trump has hit out at the president's past behavior around women, including his own daughters.