The Education Forum

The inevitable end result of our last 56 years

10 hours ago, Matt Allison said:

The way National Review (one of the nation's oldest extremist right-wing publications) decides to frame things is not journalism, but op-ed. 

Who can tell anymore the difference between slant, spin, narrative and op-eds...and that is in the M$M.

• Replies 18.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Benjamin Cole

• Douglas Caddy

• W. Niederhut

• Steve Thomas

Opinion US Capitol attack

If America fails to punish its insurrectionists, it could see a wave of domestic terror

Steve Phillips---The Guardian 

Be afraid. Be very afraid of foreign enemies or domestic subversives. 

---30---

OpinionUS politics

With the end of Roe, the US edges closer and closer to civil war

Stephen Marche--The Guardian

---30---

One might suspect the M$M is fomenting fear. and division. To what purpose?

Edited by Benjamin Cole

- Lauren Boebert -

"..., the Colorado Republican attempted to confront comments made by President Joe Biden about people not being able to purchase something as powerful as a cannon when the Second Amendment was written.

"There were Gatling guns," the GOP lawmaker said during the interview, after urging people to know their history. "And that was a pretty high-powered machine, fully automatic really. And I think you could own a cannon, too."

Cannons, ah yes. We all need our cannons. (Notwithstanding the fact that Gatling guns weren't invented until 1861.)

I could say something about carrying a concealed cannon in my pocket, but I won't go there.

Steve Thomas

48 minutes ago, Steve Thomas said:

- Lauren Boebert -

"..., the Colorado Republican attempted to confront comments made by President Joe Biden about people not being able to purchase something as powerful as a cannon when the Second Amendment was written.

"There were Gatling guns," the GOP lawmaker said during the interview, after urging people to know their history. "And that was a pretty high-powered machine, fully automatic really. And I think you could own a cannon, too."

Cannons, ah yes. We all need our cannons. (Notwithstanding the fact that Gatling guns weren't invented until 1861.)

I could say something about carrying a concealed cannon in my pocket, but I won't go there.

Steve Thomas

That is one of the un-discussed oddities of the Constitution. 

You have the right to "bear arms" and form militias, not merely own and carry guns.

The Founding Fathers loathed, detested and reviled standing armies, and said so repeatedly. George Mason refused to sign the Constitution as it it did not contain and explicit ban on standing armies. The idea was the defense of the nation would largely depend on the citizens.

Even after WWII, the US rapidly demobilized, and had a draft-citizen Army. 

Since the end of the Vietnam War, the US developed a permanently hyper-mobilized, globalized and mercenary military. This idea had many fathers, including Nixon-Kissinger, who instituted the mercenary military. 

Note today that CNN, MSNBC, CBS, Fox, WaPo and NYT et al worship the modern-day military, as do both parties. 

This is a long, long way from a citizen-soldiery, and wars declared only by Congress. 

Sad that debates sinks down to whatever Boebert says, or her equivalent on the left side of the aisle. 

17 hours ago, W. Niederhut said:

According to the Times report, “In a memo on the cases, Mr. Alito displayed not only tactical acumen but personal passion, taking umbrage with a judge’s objection that forcing women to listen to details about fetal development before their abortions would cause ‘emotional distress, anxiety, guilt and in some cases increased physical pain,” with Alito dismissing their concerns by writing the such concerns “are part of the responsibility of moral choice.”

I wonder if Alito takes seriously his moral responsibility before biting into his steak.  

Edited by Paul Bacon

Something random, nothing to do with debate or us disagreeing on things. This is just a podcast that I thought some of you may enjoy between clinical psychologist and author, Jordan B. Peterson and his elderly father. With many of you being north American’s I would guess that this will invoke a lot of nostalgia when you hear how that generation lived and survived, its probably your shared heritage too. The world moves so quickly but, things like this are a window to the past, and I can’t put a value on them. 
Enjoy. 

The customer is always right.

“One woman is dead and another is in surgery after a shooting in an Atlanta Subway store, WSB-TV reports.

The women were Subway employees and the shooter was a customer who was allegedly upset over too much mayonnaise on a sandwich.

Glenn said both the young women had only recently started working at the location.

Police are still looking for the shooter.”

Steve Thomas

On 6/25/2022 at 10:50 PM, Benjamin Cole said:

The legal nuances are beyond me, but evidently even left-wing and liberal legal scholars have argued the Roe v. Wade ruling had Constitutional feet of clay.  

I don't know about the feet of clay thing. But Justice Alito had to resort to the writings of a 17th century American jurist by the name of Matthew Hale for his justification in overturning Roe vs. Wade. Hale is a man who famously argued that the existence of laws against witches proves that witches exist.

Meanwhile, Justice Clarence Thomas opines that the next steps in their quest of stripping Americans of their modern-day rights should be to reverse the Court's rulings on birth control and gay marriage. Interestingly, he stopped short of including interracial marriage. (Gee, I wonder why.)

On 6/25/2022 at 10:50 PM, Benjamin Cole said:

I had not realized the pro-abortion people had become violent, using firebombing tactics (an old KKK calling card, put into new bottles).

There are 140 million Americans who identify as being pro choice. What percentage of those actually became violent in the protests? I'm guessing on the order of 0.0001%. (One in a million.)

But if the violence becomes more widespread, I won't blame them. Four of the five Supreme Court justices told bold-faced lies in their hearings... the one thing a legitimate judge would never, ever do. And these so-called judges are pushing their religious beliefs upon everybody else, something nobody should ever do.

The Supreme Court as it stands now is a corrupt, vile institution. Thanks a lot George H.W. Bush, George W. Bush, and Donald Trump. Thanks a lot.

Edited by Sandy Larsen

8 hours ago, Benjamin Cole said:

That is one of the un-discussed oddities of the Constitution. 

You have the right to "bear arms" and form militias, not merely own and carry guns.

The Founding Fathers loathed, detested and reviled standing armies, and said so repeatedly. George Mason refused to sign the Constitution as it it did not contain and explicit ban on standing armies. The idea was the defense of the nation would largely depend on the citizens.

Even after WWII, the US rapidly demobilized, and had a draft-citizen Army. 

Since the end of the Vietnam War, the US developed a permanently hyper-mobilized, globalized and mercenary military. This idea had many fathers, including Nixon-Kissinger, who instituted the mercenary military. 

Note today that CNN, MSNBC, CBS, Fox, WaPo and NYT et al worship the modern-day military, as do both parties. 

This is a long, long way from a citizen-soldiery, and wars declared only by Congress. 

Sad that debates sinks down to whatever Boebert says, or her equivalent on the left side of the aisle. 

Don't totally disagree, but this is a little misleading. Southern States would not sign off on the Constitution without the expressed right to mobilize a militia to put down slave rebellions. 

12 minutes ago, Andrew Prutsok said:

Don't totally disagree, but this is a little misleading. Southern States would not sign off on the Constitution without the expressed right to mobilize a militia to put down slave rebellions. 

Exactly.  The slave owning Southern colonies/states had well-armed slave patrols/militias, and slave owning Founding Fathers (e.g., Washington, Jefferson, Madison, et.al.) wanted to protect the right of well-regulated state slave patrol/militias to bear arms.

Five of America's first seven Presidents owned slaves (all except for John Adams and his son.)

These "well-regulated" Southern slave patrol/militias became even more prominent after Nat Turner's 1831 slave rebellion in Virginia.     

In fact, Robert E. Lee led Virginia's slave patrol/militia to Harper's Ferry to promptly suppress John Brown's slave rebellion in 1859.

The existence of "well-regulated" Southern slave patrol/militias was one important reason why the Union volunteer armies fared so poorly against the Confederacy in the first few years of the American Civil War.