• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Benjamin Cole

• Douglas Caddy

• W. Niederhut

• Steve Thomas

The 7 Deadly Sins of Today’s Conservatives

The 7 Deadly Sins of Today's Conservatives (juancole.com)

From Professor Cole’s column:

I have never found conservatism an interesting ideology, and it seems to me patently false. Its exponents seem to believe that the rich are rich because they are more capable than others and the poor are poor because they are lazy. They decry the role of government in the economy but no one manipulates the government for the benefit of their social class (typically the owners of businesses) than they do. They believe that there are social hierarchies and that these are a good thing. I once heard William Buckley on the radio insisting that the lives of the blind are obviously less full than the lives of the sighted. The crass and embarrassingly glib argument seems to me to sum up the conservative obsession with some people being innately better than others.

Even Buckley, however, would be embarrassed by today’s conservatives, who have devolved into glassy-eyed cultists. They dance around denying reality, imputing the Capitol insurrection to “antifa” in contrast to FBI findings and the evidence of our own eyes. They insisted Joe Biden isn’t really the president. Making sure that the rich are not regulated or taxed in the interests of the public good, the old conservative objective personified by Mitch McConnell, is tame stuff by comparison.

1 hour ago, Andrew Prutsok said:

Looks like Biden is willing to dump all of his political capital on Tanden; none on $15 minimum wage.

He needs Murkowski to approve Tanden — a long shot.

He needs Manchin to approve $15 — no shot.

Biden pulled Tanden. 

He should have never nominated her in the first place.

17 hours ago, Cliff Varnell said:

He needs Murkowski to approve Tanden — a long shot.

He needs Manchin to approve $15 — no shot.

I stand corrected. Apparently they didn't fight for either.

23 minutes ago, Andrew Prutsok said:

I heard someone say Biden should appoint Hillary in an acting role to every cabinet position Republicans refuse to approve.

I've never understood what a minimum wage increase has to do with covid relief for small businesses, people who need unemployment benefits, etc. Nor do I understand why the increase drives up the cost of the relief bill, since it's not the government that would be paying the wages. I assume that most government jobs already pay a decent wage, so the bill wouldn't be giving them raises, increasing the cost of government. But this is why I'm not an economist.

2 hours ago, Andrew Prutsok said:

Fighting? Tanden 's been dead for a week. Biden  met with Manchin probably saw it useless. It just wasn't at all a progressive victory for the Dems in the 2020 election. It was the narrowest of margins.

The political reality is if you're a person who wants the biggest stimulus check you can get and a $15 minimum wage for all. Your person in Washington is Nancy Pelosi, believe it or not. If she had her way, you'd probably be $6000 dollars richer by now!  She probably would have cut you a $1500 check starting last May, and every quarter since, or maybe $600 every month. People would have been able to plan much better knowing they would at least  have had that income.

Pelosi was holding out for more in October to try to compensate for the fact that she could only cut one check up to that one point. Trump waved the white flag, abandoned his Republican Party and conceded to his enemy, Pelosi,and came tagging along, even though he never gave a crap about aid for the 6 months prior,  thinking if he could buy votes by  giving people a $2000 check with his name on it, he might be able to salvage the election. But even that was a pipe dream! Pelosi has completely out maneuvered Trump for the last 2 years! He's probably never been emasculated like that by a woman before!

I haven't received my $600 check yet, and was told by the IRS that if I didn't receive it by now, I can deduct from in my 2020 taxes. I don't really need a $1400 check, but I'm sure as hell not going to turn it down after paying taxes all my life.

It's a bifurcated economy and people are either not missing a stitch or financially in horrible shape. Of course, a massive outlay of 1.9 trillion is debt to be paid off in the future, and is saddling those of us who have children with a  enormous debt. Of course, we've have been saying that for years. For those of us who remember 19% interest rates, when we were young, they've done a remarkable job at taming inflation through monetary policy. But can we count on that forever? '

Edited by Kirk Gallaway

10 hours ago, James DiEugenio said:

Biden pulled Tanden. 

He should have never nominated her in the first place.

Yep. Tactical error or sacrificial nominee?? Good question.

8 hours ago, Joseph McBride said:

One theory of the Tanden nomination was that Biden

knew she wouldn't fly, so he offered her up as 

a sacrifice to get the Republicans to go along with

the rest of his major nominations.

Just saw this. Yeah I think that's the case.