The Education Forum

The inevitable end result of our last 56 years

On 2/26/2022 at 10:02 PM, Ron Bulman said:

I wasn't sure where Ukraine was exactly on the map a week ago.  I'm not real familiar with the history of NATO, though  I thought I knew a few basics. 

Putin should be stopped. 

Given the last few days and this article.  If I was the commander of NATO. . .  As has likely been done amass troops along the borders from Odessa to Estonia.  Tell the world, to prevent further incursion we are doing so.  And find out how many fighter pilots Ukraine has left. Then send several more jets than that to bases along the Poland, Romania, Moldova and Odessa borders.  Tell the Ukraine and the world they're yours to use to defend our countries from further Russian aggression, just get the pilots here.  For starters.

I guess somebody else thought of this as well.  Maybe it will help prolong things until Russia blinks.  Maybe not but they need all the help they can get and are probably grateful for anything they get.

Ukrainian pilots arrive in Poland to pick up donated fighter jets (msn.com)

• Replies 18.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Benjamin Cole

• Douglas Caddy

• W. Niederhut

• Steve Thomas

I saw another article like this earlier, the head of NATO called this a watershed moment.  

Might Putin's grand idea have backfired?  Could it lead to revolution in his own country?

In just 72 hours, Europe overhauled its entire post-Cold War relationship with Russia (msn.com)

38 minutes ago, Ron Bulman said:

I saw another article like this earlier, the head of NATO called this a watershed moment.  

Might Putin's grand idea have backfired?  Could it lead to revolution in his own country?

In just 72 hours, Europe overhauled its entire post-Cold War relationship with Russia (msn.com)

Here's the other article.

'A new Europe' united against Russia — even neutral Switzerland (msn.com)

32 minutes ago, Matt Allison said:

FMtByyDWYBIB69n?format=jpg&name=small

Paranoid much hahaha! Those switches are for trap doors under the chairs at the other end ala' Kim Jong-Il in Team America.

3 hours ago, Kirk Gallaway said:

Mystic  George W. Bush on Putin:

"I looked into his eyes and was able to get a sense of his soul".

Did he pucker up a bit?

As far as I can see, Kharkiv has all but fallen.

And there is a forty mile military convoy outside Kiev?

If that is true then what I said about the operation is likely correct.  The Russians used a first wave to measure the resistance, they are sending in a second wave to complete the job.

But the main point is this:  how do you occupy a country that big?  They are probably going to try and install a Vichy type government.

18 minutes ago, James DiEugenio said:

As far as I can see, Kharkiv has all but fallen.

And there is a forty mile military convoy outside Kiev?

If that is true then what I said about the operation is likely correct.  The Russians used a first wave to measure the resistance, they are sending in a second wave to complete the job.

But the main point is this:  how do you occupy a country that big?  They are probably going to try and install a Vichy type government.

IMO, the occupation will be brutal-- Stalin-esque.  Much of it will be hidden from Western awareness, as soon as the FSB is able to crack down on communication and Western reporting from occupied Ukraine.

Putin and his FSB henchmen will draw upon a century of NKVD/KGB police state experience to control Ukraine, just as they have drawn upon a century of Soviet experience with disinformazia and state-controlled mass media to manipulate public opinion at home and abroad.

Recall that the West was largely unaware of what was really happening in the Soviet Union for decades -- the Stalinist purges, Holodomor, and labor camps of the Gulag-- before Solzhenitsyn's work was finally published in Paris.

Even Pasternak was published in Italy before his work finally appeared in print in the USSR.

Stalin once said, "Ideas are far more dangerous than guns.  If we forbid people to have guns, why would we allow them to have ideas?"

John Mearsheimer recorded this lecture back in 2015. He is a political scientist, and one of the preeminent scholars in international relations. His views on the Ukraine crisis last decade were not popular but, at least considered and with strong foundations in the fields he is proficient. He makes the case that the west is largely responsible for the escalation. He is no Russofile or friend of China's. He makes an eloquent case, referencing the Cuban Missile Crisis that the west has been making some very naive moves that originate from US hubris. He also laughs at the idea of Putin being the next Hitler, or there being any possibility of him taking over Europe. 

Obviously, I can see most people are of an opposing view, I am not saying any of you will switch but, I think it's educational and will ultimately leave people here a bit more informed (potentially). 

The video is 1hr 14mins, when a friend sent it to me I sighed, at another long vid but, it actually was very easy watching and well presented. 

The old Russia Today paradigm of "Ukrainian Nazis" and Putin the "Enlightened Autocrat" will, no doubt, persist in some circles, but most people, including Matt Taibbi, are getting in touch with reality this week.

As Taibbi admitted, he was so focused on "NATO aggression" that he failed to take Putin's critics (inside and outside of Russia) seriously.

One thing I have wondered about during the past few years is why Putin and Yanukovych cheerleaders in the West have been so silent about Yanukovych's imprisonment of opposition leader Yulia Tymoshenko from 2011-14.  Tymoshenko was only released from prison after the corrupt Putin puppet Yanukovych was deposed by a popular uprising in 2014.  And the Kremlin also, reportedly, tried to assassinate Tymoshenko.

Edited by W. Niederhut