• Replies 18.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Benjamin Cole

• Douglas Caddy

• W. Niederhut

• Steve Thomas

Mitt Romney cites praise of Putin actions by Fox News "and others" ( Trump- Pompeo?) as "Almost Treason."

When asked by the TV news host interviewing him if his powerful charge included Trump, Romney would not say no. Instead he veered into a general statement of condemnation of those who are doing this.

However, the highly charged label of treason ( albeit "almost" ) by Fox News and by implied association "others" who are doing this Putin praising ( Trump/Pompeo? ) has finally been mentioned and proposed on national TV by a nationally known figure. A fellow Republican no less!

Romney said this Putin praising made him sick.

If they get Zelensky and/or other leaders is it game over?  Will the people give up?  How will the US, the rest of NATO and others react at that point?

The Kremlin ordered 400 Russian mercenaries in Kyiv to hunt and kill Ukraine's president, report says (msn.com)

Interesting article by a history prof from the University of Michigan.

Putin’s claim to rid Ukraine of Nazis is especially absurd given its history

Putin's claim to rid Ukraine of Nazis is especially absurd given its history (theconversation.com)

February 26, 2022

Excerpt

The fact that Zelensky is the grandson of a Holocaust survivor and was raised in what he told The Times of Israel was “an ordinary Soviet Jewish family” was barely noted during the election. “Nobody cares. Nobody asks about it,” he remarked in the same interview. Nor did Ukrainians seem to mind that the prime minister at the time of Zelensky’s election, Volodymyr Groysman, also had a Jewish background.

For a brief period of time, Ukraine was the only state outside of Israel to have both a Jewish head of state and a Jewish head of government. “How could I be a N-a-z-i?” Zelensky asked in a public address after the Russian invasion began. “Explain it to my grandfather.”

Edited by W. Niederhut

44 minutes ago, W. Niederhut said:

Interesting article by a history prof from the University of Michigan.

Putin’s claim to rid Ukraine of Nazis is especially absurd given its history

Putin's claim to rid Ukraine of Nazis is especially absurd given its history (theconversation.com)

February 26, 2022

Excerpt

The fact that Zelensky is the grandson of a Holocaust survivor and was raised in what he told The Times of Israel was “an ordinary Soviet Jewish family” was barely noted during the election. “Nobody cares. Nobody asks about it,” he remarked in the same interview. Nor did Ukrainians seem to mind that the prime minister at the time of Zelensky’s election, Volodymyr Groysman, also had a Jewish background.

For a brief period of time, Ukraine was the only state outside of Israel to have both a Jewish head of state and a Jewish head of government. “How could I be a N-a-z-i?” Zelensky asked in a public address after the Russian invasion began. “Explain it to my grandfather.”

This common for Putin to play on the guilt of Ukrainian's part in the holocaust. It's profoundly hypocritical considering Molotov - Ribbentrop.

19 minutes ago, Matt Allison said:

Ukraine will never accept Russian occupation. Never.

Calling Putin's actions a miscalculation don't come close to fully describing this disaster.

IMO, we will find out someday that this is the closest we've ever been to nuclear war. Closer than the CMC.

I don't think we are out of the woods yet. Short of total capitulation by Ukraine and the "West", I don't see a scenario where Putin backs down.

Well, Jeff, here's strike number three for you.

I posted last Thursday that, IMO, people in the West were finally seeing Putin for who he really is-- based on what I had observed in the ROCOR fifteen years ago.  You dismissed my observations on the false grounds that they were based on things I had read in the M$M.

Then, yesterday, Vladimir Sorokin wrote in The Guardian that Putin's mask had finally cracked.  You dismissed Sorokin's observations as literary fiction and a mere personal dislike of Putin.

Here comes strike #3...

The Terrible Truth So Many Experts Missed About Russia

The terrible truth so many experts missed about Russia before its Ukraine invasion. (slate.com)

February 28, 2022

'World is racing toward the cliff': Belarus to host Russian nuclear weapons

By Julia Conley, Common Dreams February 28, 2022

https://www.rawstory.com/world-is-racing-toward-the-cliff-belarus-to-host-russian-nuclear-weapons/

Anti-nuclear groups on Monday decried a referendum in Belarus allowing for the country to host nuclear weapons, as the European Union warned the development puts the entire planet on a "very dangerous path." “

But regardless of the criticism, the reported results of the referendum—which showed more than 65% of voters supporting changes to the constitution including a renunciation of the country's neutral and non-nuclear status as well as new broad powers and legal immunity for Lukashenko—are expected to allow Russia to launch nuclear missiles from the Eastern European country.”

This is really, really bad. Lukashenko is a nut job.

Steve Thomas

Speaking on nation-wide TV amid a frenzy of anti-Western rhetoric, TV anchor Dmitry Kiselyov told viewers: 'Our submarines can shoot more than 500 nuclear warheads.

'This would guarantee destruction of the USA, and all other NATO countries.

'In accordance with the principle 'Why do we need the world, if Russia isn't there?'

'Russia's nuclear arms are delivered by the world's fastest strategic bombers.

'That's without even mentioning Russian Strategic Missile Forces. The Russian nuclear potential is the strongest in the world.

'Today our Russian Nuclear Triad is on the high alert. Putin did warn [the West]. Do not try to scare Russia.'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10559509/Vladimir-Putins-propagandist-chief-threatens-West-nuclear-destruction.html#v-589609235164907462

Edited by Matt Allison

Matt Taibbi apologizes for "faceplanting" on Putin's invasion of Ukraine-- i.e., being so "fixated on Western misbehavior" that he failed to take Putin's critics seriously.

Sounds familiar... 🤥

Note to Readers, on the Invasion of Ukraine

Part of news and even commentary is admitting mistakes, and though I always made sure when discussing the subject to note Vladimir Putin could still invade Ukraine, I have to admit, I didn’t see this happening. Some old colleagues I trust, including some Putin-critical Russians, didn’t see it, either, but in many cases they just didn’t want to believe it, for reasons that are more understandable from their perspective. My mistake was more like reverse chauvinism, being so fixated on Western misbehavior that I didn’t bother to take this possibility seriously enough. To readers who trust me not to make those misjudgments, I’m sorry. Obviously, Putin’s invasion will have horrific consequences for years to come and massively destabilize the world.

I fear there will be more to say soon, but I’ll leave it at that for today. When you’re wrong, you’re wrong, and I was wrong about this.

1 hour ago, Matt Allison said:

Speaking on nation-wide TV amid a frenzy of anti-Western rhetoric, TV anchor Dmitry Kiselyov told viewers: 'Our submarines can shoot more than 500 nuclear warheads.

'This would guarantee destruction of the USA, and all other NATO countries.

'In accordance with the principle 'Why do we need the world, if Russia isn't there?'

'Russia's nuclear arms are delivered by the world's fastest strategic bombers.

'That's without even mentioning Russian Strategic Missile Forces. The Russian nuclear potential is the strongest in the world.

'Today our Russian Nuclear Triad is on the high alert. Putin did warn [the West]. Do not try to scare Russia.'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10559509/Vladimir-Putins-propagandist-chief-threatens-West-nuclear-destruction.html#v-589609235164907462

Missile Gap? 

Wow W.!  The first of his kind to admit he's made a tragic mistake.But knowing the personalities of some of the  journalist holdouts and some people here. I don't expect many more apologies.

Putin has meddled with the primal forces of nature as prophecized in "Network" !

The rubles collapsing. Interest rates are doubling, probably to plummet the economy into recession. ..

Neutral Switzerland is freezing Putin's assets.

Putin prepared by lowering  his debt ratios to give himself 650 Billion in foreign reserves  to use . Now it's going to be hard for him to use it.

Middle class Russians are running the banks or being notified their assets are frozen.

His only offset will come from higher oil prices, which haven't been meddled with yet because of mutual blowback.

Ben said:On financial markets--S&P 500 futures off marginally, Nasdaq futures down 1% 

Nikkei 225 down 0.3% mid-session in TokyoLooks like a down day on Monday but not by much. 

In truth, Ukraine is not important to Western prosperity, and Russia only because they sell oil and gas. 

Since Westerners are unwilling to block Russian oil and gas...the market seems to be saying "meh." 

Remember, before the Russian invasion, the markets "discounted" prospects.

The reality, sad as it is, is not a wider conflagration, or a ban of Russian oil and gas. 

Unlike China, Russia is not important in the global economy, and does not have extensive ties that bind America's elites. 

Whew! Ben, so you're an anti  global trade, market watcher! How did you manage to swing that?

I fully expect the Republican Party to pull you from exile and run you as a candidate!

heh heh

Ben: The reality, sad as it is, is not a wider conflagration,

Hmmm, maybe you spoke a bit soon on that. But yeah, no oil.

Mystic  George W. Bush on Putin:

"I looked into his eyes and was able to get a sense of his soul".

Edited by Kirk Gallaway