The Education Forum

The inevitable end result of our last 56 years

2 hours ago, Robert Wheeler said:

Have you considered putting yourself on a cycle of Thiothixene?

Talking to yourself, and paranoia, as demonstrated by your insistence everyone else is a Nazi, are clearly demonstrative of schizophrenia.

Good example of projection-- from the forum's best known paranoiac.

But nay, Rob, far from insisting that "everyone is a Nazi," I'm merely pointing out that Trump is openly following the fascist playbook-- now proposing that the teaching of American history should be replaced by the propagation of fascist mythology.

Since Trump knows very little about history or historiography, where is his latest fascist manifesto coming from-- Miller?  Bannon?  Rush Limbaugh?

Any thoughts about the actual subject of my posts?

• Replies 18.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Benjamin Cole

• Douglas Caddy

• W. Niederhut

• Steve Thomas

3 hours ago, Paul Brancato said:

. When a friend pointed this out to me, drawing comparisons between some of today’s rallies in places like Berlin to similar rallies in the early 1930’s where the crowds were combinations of far rightists and new age religionists (think Rudolf Steiner or Madame Blavatsky), I was incredulous until it was proven true.

Well... If Hitler had had YouTube...

1 hour ago, Robert Wheeler said:

You are a smart guy Niederhut.

You know full well that the American Education system has not been exempt from being the target of political agendas, for a long time.

Because of limited time, staff, and money, the Reece Committee was forced to concentrate its investigation on various Rockefeller and Carnegie foundations, and on the huge Ford Foundation. The Committee found that one of the first areas into which John D. invested his money was education. Daddy Oilbucks put his assistant, Fred Gates, in charge of his General Education Board. Gates tipped the Rockefeller philosophy on education in the Board's Occasional Paper No.1;

" In our dreams we have limitless resources and the people yield themselves with perfect docility to our molding hands. The present educational conventions fade from our minds, and unhampered by tradition, we work our own good will upon a grateful and responsive rural folk. "

Later, the General Education Board expanded horizons to take into its "molding hands" the city folk at well. To this end the Rockefeller and Carnegie foundations, which often had interlocking directorates and many times acted in unison, began in the early Thirties to back John Dewey and his Marxist educationalists with enormous amounts of money.

(Full text)

I wouldn’t argue with you about the past failures of our education system. But that ain’t no reason to support a demagogue who values nothing except his own personal success. Your bedfellows are largely uneducated (hey, mostly not their faults) and are easily led by demagogues. You are discussing things here with folks who are not easily fooled, who see the tragic flaws in the bedrock as well as you do, yet do not get drawn into the Trump milieu for such obvious reasons that it strikes us as extremely odd when you defend him.

1 hour ago, Steve Thomas said:

That is really something, and they all have masks but little  social  distancing. Which means they are taking a risk.

2 hours ago, Robert Wheeler said:

The history that is taught in schools now is a pabulum of common core hysterics. The "Patriotic" curriculum would just be replacing the "Politically" correct curriculum that has given us a generation of morons who sprayed painted the statue of abolitionist Matthias Baldwin in Philadelphia; or the Social Justice Progressives who unironically have demanded that the statue of Teddy Roosevelt, our first Progressive President, be removed from the steps of the Museum of Natural History in NYC.

414066184_Screenshot2020-09-18162859.jpg.f109946e939d070e94089717d3fa7e94.jpg

I don't deny that a Patriotic version of history might give short-shift to the historical atrocities that occurred contemporaneously with great historical achievements, but just the opposite could be said of the Politically Correct version. 

What should we do about President Lincoln Niederhut? At the same time he was emancipating the slaves he signed off on the largest mass execution in US history. Thirty-eight Sioux prisoners were hanged December 26, 1826 on Lincoln's order.

The Politically Correct curriculum would have us judge Lincoln without any context, and consider Lincoln's legacy as an algorithm consisting of positives and negatives based on his decisions, and without considering his mindset, the information he had, or his real feelings towards black people and Indians, all of which is beyond our awareness. 

If the Patriotic Curriculum is capable of restoring the historical record to the facts and spirit of the day at the time that they occurred, rather than consider virtuosity of the acts of men, in hindsight, and from the perspective of modern values, then I am all for the destruction of the Politically Correct curriculum.

Actually, Rob, we now know a great deal about Lincoln's private opinions (and measured public statements) regarding slavery.  See Columbia University historian Eric Foner's scholarly monograph on the subject-- The Fiery Trial.

Let's look at Trump's new pitch for white supremacist mythology, in lieu of actual history, with regard to the issue of 1619, slavery, Reconstruction, and Jim Crow.

Trump has denied the reality of systemic racism in many municipal police departments, while defending Confederate statues.  His denial of the true history of American slavery, the Civil War, failed Reconstruction, and Jim Crow is integral to his denial that Black Lives Matter.  This is not merely academic.

Historians like Foner, Zinn, Kuznick, et.al., have made great strides in correcting our flawed, mythical concepts of "the Lost Cause," and the dark side of our "Manifest Destiny" and American imperialism.

It's not a question of being "politically correct," but of having an accurate conception of historical reality.

22 minutes ago, Robert Wheeler said:

We are so uneducated we go around calling people we want to vote for us stupid and deplorable.

The lack of humility of the Educated Left is where you guys screw up every time. 

You know Paul, just because their are only 10 or so commenting on this thread, it doesn’t mean their are only 10 or so readers. You would be surprised who, and how many, are bearing witness to the real contempt people like you have for people who work with their hands, or gave up on Junior college. 

Remember when I told you to look around the thread (the Mark Zaid thread), and to find the mark? Obviously you never found the mark, maybe you should google it, then hang your head in shame.

What are you sure of Paul?

Don’t be so sure.

Contempt? Not at all. Just sorry we have such an unfair wealth and privilege distribution. That’s always the way it’s played - we ‘coastal elites’ look down on everyone. Its a meme, created to divide us. I want all Americans to have a chance at a good life, with good education, health care and decent healthy food. And it’s not my fault they don’t. It’s corruption at the highest levels, by both parties and the corporations they serve. That’s the real world we live in, and you, Mr. Wheeler, have no chance of ever convincing me otherwise. Maybe your invisible cheering section would like to chime in and blame us for our elitism. I’m all for it.
What a crock.

4 hours ago, James DiEugenio said:

That is really something, and they all have masks but little  social  distancing. Which means they are taking a risk.

Willing to risk their Lives to Vote?  Me Too!

6 hours ago, Robert Wheeler said:

What should we do about President Lincoln Niederhut? At the same time he was emancipating the slaves he signed off on the largest mass execution in US history. Thirty-eight Sioux prisoners were hanged December 26, 1826 on Lincoln's order.

As usual with sloppy research, Lincoln was 17 years old in 1826. I assume it was 1862. This is said to be partly true in Snopes.

What's True

Lincoln approved the execution of 39 Dakota men convicted by a military commission of perpetrating massacres during the Dakota War of 1862.

What's False

The military commission had sentenced 303 Dakota fighters to death, but Lincoln commuted 264 of those sentences despite threats of mob violence and intense pressure to reverse his decision.

Wheeler would squeal about Snopes as Trump would. It's always a futile dialog.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/lincoln-dakota/

18 minutes ago, Steve Thomas said:

https://twitter.com/nowthisnews/status/1306408278755164160

Reporter: “The U.S. has 4% of the global population and 24% of the world’s COVID-19 death, how is that a success?”

Kayleigh McEnany : “We use different numbers”

"We use different numbers."

Unfortunately that's all it takes to twist the truth and to convince half of America to believe and accept these twisted false truths.

Trump's Orwellian truth twisting "we use different numbers" propaganda machine is a monster that isn't responsibly acknowledged and reported for what it truly is by most of our corporate owned main stream media imo.

Thereby enabling and enhancing it's power and influence and resulting damage.

Ruth Ginsberg rest in peace.

19 hours ago, Steve Thomas said:

Kirk.

I saw that Triumph the Dog video earlier.

The scariest part for me was that not one of the "focus group" members recognized that it was not Trump speaking.

They were like mindless zombies. They just heard the words, and that's all it took.

Steve Thomas

No Steve, that's true.They believed hook, line and sinker some of those  r absurd premises, they were fed. But also, some of them did question the ridiculous comments that Trump was supposed to be saying, but that was totally ok with them, because Trump just "says what he feels." So having a President whose just a bser' is already a given and perfectly OK with them. 

But also, they didn't flinch at all at the racist comments and threw a couple out themselves.

It started out funny to me, but as it went on. It became increasingly sad.

Edited by Kirk Gallaway

Venus is a Russian planet -- say the Russians

https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/18/world/venus-russian-planet-scn-scli-intl/index.html

“No longer confined to territories here on Earth, Russia has now staked its claim on Venus, saying it is a "Russian planet."

This week, Dmitry Rogozin, head of the Russian space corporation Roscosmos, revealed that the country plans to send its own mission to Venus in addition to "Venera-D," the planned joint mission with the US, the Russian state news agency TASS reported.

Rogozin was addressing reporters at the HeliRussia 2020 exhibition, an international expo of the helicopter industry in Moscow.

"Resuming Venus exploration is on our agenda," he told reporters Tuesday.

"We think that Venus is a Russian planet, so we shouldn't lag behind," he said.”

Steve Thomas

19 hours ago, Steve Thomas said:

Steve, do you think the crowd shown in the above photo is a "Trump" one more than a "Biden" one?

I'm not sure, but curious.

Almost all are wearing masks so one might guess they are not Trump no maskers.

On the other hand, I see only one person of color. Whatever that may mean in traditionally military minded right wing Virginia?

Just read an article in "Entrepreneur" magazine saying there is a massive rise of unemployed young men looking to start up their own "pool maintenance" service and/or applying for the position of "pool attendant" in popular resort and high income residential locations. 

A "How To Start Your Own Pool Maintenance Service" guide ad accompanies the article along with a picture of a smiling Mrs. Jerry Falwell Jr. 

Evangelicals are trumpeting Falwell Jr.'s economic acumen for increasing new business opportunities for these thousands of unemployed young men.

Edited by Joe Bauer