The Education Forum

Josiah Thompson's brand new book LAST SECOND IN DALLAS

Simply put, this is an instant classic. Truly, this is a superb book in every respect. Frankly, I am surprised no one is discussing it unless I missed the thread.

Amazon.com: Last Second in Dallas (9780700630080): Thompson, Josiah: Books

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love the writing, and that Tink is telling his story. I am saddened, however, by the fact so much of the book is devoted to the dictabelt evidence, and that none of it is devoted to the photographic evidence debunking the dictabelt evidence. 

Not released on Amazon in U.K. until end of February.

I got a copy earlier this week but have been busy at work and unable to read as much of it as I would like. I do enjoy it so far. I like that it's a narrative of Thompson's first book, much like Mark Lane's "A Citizen's Dissent" is a narrative of the writing of "Rush To Judgement". It's also profusely illustrated throughout, which I think is a smart way of referring to pictures without having to send the reader to a different page or not include an image at all. Showing something like the rounded bullet CE 399 next to the pointed type bullet O.P. Wright said was found is worth a thousand words.

Anyway of photographing and posting that particular two bullet picture to this thread Denny?

Or would that be a copyright issue?

And what were the circumstances for and the inference of the obvious contradiction?

3 hours ago, Joe Bauer said:

Anyway of photographing and posting that particular two bullet picture to this thread Denny?

Or would that be a copyright issue?

And what were the circumstances for and the inference of the obvious contradiction?

Sure thing. I recreated the images attached to this post.

After the assassination, a bullet was found along the edge of a mattress pad on a gurney (a gurney that was ultimately not linked to Governor Connally but rather to a two-year old boy named Ronnie Fuller who was being treated that day for a cut on his cheek.)  The bullet was found by Darrell Tomlinson, an engineer working at Parkland hospital. Tomlinson gave the bullet to the hospital security director, O.P. Wright, who then in turn gave it to Secret Service agent Richard Johnsen.

Thompson reports interviewing Tomlinson and Wright in 1966 while working on a retrospective of the assassination for LIFE magazine. Tomlinson didn't know anything about bullets and couldn't answer many of Thompson's questions about CE 399, but Wright did have knowledge as a former police officer with decades of experience. Thompson showed Wright pictures of CE 399 as recorded in the Warren Commission report. (That's the one on the left in the picture below.) Wright gave Thompson a bullet that Wright had had in his desk at the time. (That's the bullet on the right, a contemporary photo taken by Thompson himself, the bullet next to his hotel room key for scale.)

Wright repeatedly insisted to Thompson that the bullet Wright handled that day had a pointed nose like the one Thompson had just been given.

Wright also repeatedly refused to identify photographs of CE 399 as the bullet that was found that day.

Here's a quote from "Last Second In Dallas", page 26.

I showed Wright the photo of CE 399, and he rejected it again as the bullet he handled on November 22. An hour or so later, when we were getting ready to leave, Wright approached me and asked, "Say, that single-bullet photo you keep showing me...was that the one that was supposed to have been found here?"

"Yes," I answered.

He looked right at me, his face expressionless, and said, "Uh...huh." Then he turned and went back to his office.

ce 399 and op wright bullet.JPG

Edited by Denny Zartman

Another totally suspicious incongruity.

Like 1,000 others in this case.

Like JFK's unweighed, then misweighed brain ( a full 1,400 grams) during the autopsy then a "gone missing" brain after.

And throw in "no brain in the skull cavity at all" per right-there-at-JFK's -head Bethesda Naval autopsy assisting Medical Tech Paul O'Conner's sworn testimony.

Edited by Joe Bauer

14 hours ago, Cliff Varnell said:

And down the rabbit holes we go...

I'm sorry, pardon me. What's the point of this comment? That we shouldn't read "Last Second In Dallas" or that we shouldn't discuss it?

9 hours ago, Cory Santos said:

Rabbits don’t create holes that deep Cliff.  Avoiding them can be a good choice.  

"Avoid" them? So you are apparently also of the opinion that we shouldn't discuss this book or the subjects contained within? If this is what you believe, then why did you post on this thread?

One bullet with a pointed nose was found on a Parkland stretcher not linked to Connally. The pointed nose bullet was given to the Secret Service, and was later replaced with the rounded nose bullet that we know now as CE 399. Exactly how deep is that particular mystery that you both would characterize it a "rabbit hole?"

Edited by Denny Zartman

54 minutes ago, Denny Zartman said:

I'm sorry, pardon me. What's the point of this comment?

An expression of my contempt for the “dictabelt evidence” and the provenance of CE399.

That we shouldn't read "Last Second In Dallas" or that we shouldn't discuss it?

Knock yourself out.  I found Six Seconds in Dallas highly over-rated, positively obfuscatory when it came to the back and throat wounds.

"Avoid" them? So you are apparently also of the opinion that we shouldn't discuss this book or the subjects contained within? If this is what you believe, then why did you post on this thread?

Because I don’t respect these fields of inquiry.  Salandria and Fonzi established the root facts of the case ‘65’-‘66 but you’d never know that reading Tink Thompson.

One bullet with a pointed nose was found on a Parkland stretcher not linked to Connally. The pointed nose bullet was given to the Secret Service, and was later replaced with the rounded nose bullet that we know now as CE 399. Exactly how deep is that particular mystery that you both would characterize it a "rabbit hole?"

JFK had a shallow wound in his back, the round didn’t exit, no round was recovered in autopsy.  He had a wound of entrance in his throat, no exit, no round found during autopsy.

6.5mm Full Metal Jacket rounds don’t leave shallow wounds in soft tissue.  CE399 is nothing but a distraction.

Thr central question which is routinely ignored by the JFKA Critical Master Class is  — what happened to the bullets that caused the back and throat wounds?

So Tink rehashes the dictabelt and the provenance of the magic bullet?  What, nothing of the NAA or the conflicting head wound/s evidence?

CAPA pitched this crap to an Oswald Mock Trial a few years back and failed to convince more than 5 jurors of LHO’s innocence.

But hey, I indulged in fake debate for many years so I get it.  Have fun.  Don’t let my cynicism be a buzz-kill.

On 1/30/2021 at 9:20 AM, Cliff Varnell said:

An expression of my contempt for the “dictabelt evidence” and the provenance of CE399.

I found Six Seconds in Dallas highly over-rated, positively obfuscatory when it came to the back and throat wounds.

Your disdain for the author, the subjects, and the book you haven’t read is noted.

Personally, I would not put the Dictabelt evidence in my top ten indicators of conspiracy, maybe not even in my top twenty. But, as far as the US government is concerned, the Dictabelt is not just their number one convincing piece of evidence, it is their only piece of evidence. The Dictabelt is why the US government went from saying that they found no evidence of conspiracy to saying that JFK’s death was probably as a result of one. That’s an official conclusion that stands to this day. As the sole reason for that official shift in US government opinion, the Dictabelt remains a crucial piece of evidence in the assassination of JFK and will continue to be a subject of discussion and research whether you and I like it or not.

Dictabelt aside, I find value in reading anyone’s first-hand accounts of speaking with primary witnesses and scientific experts. I am also interested in the experiences of the first generation of JFK researchers, regardless of if I agree with them on every detail and theory.

So Tink rehashes the dictabelt and the provenance of the magic bullet?  What, nothing of the NAA or the conflicting head wound/s evidence?

How do you know what else he does or does not address in the book? I suspect the inclusion or omission of any particular subject still wouldn’t satisfy you as to the value of his research.

hey, I indulged in fake debate for many years so I get it.  Have fun.  Don’t let my cynicism be a buzz-kill.

Your disdain for the discussion and those discussing it is noted as well.

On 1/30/2021 at 1:09 AM, Ken Davies said:

Rabbit holes that required a Warren Report.😢

Love it! 🤣 🐰