The Education Forum

David Lifton died on 12/6/2022

4 minutes ago, Micah Mileto said:

What? That makes no sense. He didn't bother to email his file saves to himself? Has this laptop been given to a recovery person?

Ditto. There are tech-guys who can work with bad hard drives, and extract the valuables....

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree all the way.

Where is the hard drive?

I talked to Matt and he said Lifton's hard drive crashed about two months ago. Not to be dramatic, but it's hard not to see this as a factor in David's passing. 

I know that when I was in the hospital last year fighting cancer and google updated my site, and scrambled all the images, I was incredibly depressed. My poor health--where I was given a 1 in 3 chance to survive--in combination with the thought I'd spent thousands of hours creating something that had essentially disappeared--was just too much. I was nearly catatonic.

Fortunately, however, my wife was there for me, as were the rest of my family and friends. They made a difference. 

We should wait until David's estate is settled, when its contents can be examined and appropriate action taken to preserve historical records and other things, including any manuscript portions that exist.  David's last correspondence with me in November was related to the corruption of his address book files, not his other files.  With his next-of-kin out of the country until 12/20, it will probably be at least until that date before the contents of his estate can become accessible, but in any case I'll try to promptly update the Education Forum about the details.  Best wishes!

6 minutes ago, Steven Kossor said:

We should wait until David's estate is settled, when its contents can be examined and appropriate action taken to preserve historical records and other things, including any manuscript portions that exist.  David's last correspondence with me in November was related to the corruption of his address book files, not his other files.  With his next-of-kin out of the country until 12/20, it will probably be at least until that date before the contents of his estate can become accessible, but in any case I'll try to promptly update the Education Forum about the details.  Best wishes!

Thank you for doing this, Steven. 

1 hour ago, Pat Speer said:

I talked to Matt and he said Lifton's hard drive crashed about two months ago.

It's nearly impossible for me to believe that David didn't have his Final Charade manuscript backed up and saved in a minimum of two other places---on his PCs and various other external hard drives.

I always make sure I have all of my files safely backed up on two external portable drives at all times.

DSL surely wasn't so short-sighted that he would keep his many years worth of work located on just one single laptop.....would he?

Edited by David Von Pein

1 hour ago, Steven Kossor said:

Thanks a lot! :)

1 hour ago, Pat Speer said:

I talked to Matt and he said Lifton's hard drive crashed about two months ago. Not to be dramatic, but it's hard not to see this as a factor in David's passing. 

I know that when I was in the hospital last year fighting cancer and google updated my site, and scrambled all the images, I was incredibly depressed. My poor health--where I was given a 1 in 3 chance to survive--in combination with the thought I'd spent thousands of hours creating something that had essentially disappeared--was just too much. I was nearly catatonic.

Fortunately, however, my wife was there for me, as were the rest of my family and friends. They made a difference. 

I hope you recover 100 percent. THIS is a classic you can be proud of- I have it on DVD, too:

2019 in the plaza- I met you with Matt Douthit there, as well:

No photo description available.No photo description available.

Is it possible there isn't a Final Charade manuscript? And I'm thinking out loud here... not seeking responses. Everything I ever spoke with David about ended up discussing some facet of Best Evidence, never Charade -- regardless of topic subject.

I get the feeling this story has a more tragic ending... than simply David passing... this subject maybe tainted by my current situation but I don't feel so...

1 minute ago, David G. Healy said:

Is it possible there isn't a Final Charade manuscript? And I'm thinking out loud here... not seeking responses. Everything I ever spoke with David about ended up discussing some facet of Best Evidence, never Charade -- regardless of topic subject.

I get the feeling this story has a more tragic ending... than simply David passing... this subject maybe tainted by my current situation but I don't feel so...

It sounds like it was lost when David's laptop crashed, but Matt Douthit said what he was conveying in his recent videos was essentially the book (see the other post from tonight re: his videos).

This from the guy who reads and quotes Fred Litwin.  After I demolished all three of his books and brought up the most serious questions about who he was.  And BTW, Matt D and David Mantik also pulverized his first book.

As for Matt, I like the guy.  Saying that the USA assassinates people and foreign leaders abroad?  I mean does anyone really question that today?  Where would the discussion of JFK's death be without evidence that the CIA plotted assassinations and overthrows abroad?

Matt is OK with me.

4 hours ago, Benjamin Cole said:

Ditto. There are tech-guys who can work with bad hard drives, and extract the valuables....

Yeah, it's there. Can be a PIA and no guarantees but it's likely recoverable. Just takes money.

I suppose it depends on the type of drive though. I don't have any experience with newer drives. It's best not to reboot from the OS though. I've recovered "bad drives" that weren't at all, but the owner tried booting from the computer it was installed on.